JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Forgetting Simo Haya? Though he was using a Finn M39 it's still the same rifle: 500+ kills. Most with open sights.

Nah, I didn't forget. The M39 may be the same rifle with some modification, but sells for something like three times the price of a typical 91/30, sometimes more, figured it no longer fit the bill of a budget rifle. For the price of some Finnish Mosins, you can be quite comfortably in AK territory.

Yeah, and these cats were shooting 70 year old Big 5' $99 specials?

Any comment I made about Mosin accuracy was based on the 3 I personally own, I never got to shoot one in 1943, honest.

There are some fine specimens to be found amongst the cheap Mosins one gets at Big 5.

Plus, I'd imagine those fellas back in the day, under their circumstances, often didn't have time for the most careful and thorough of firearms maintenance, and probably didn't have their rifles as clean, well-oiled, and well-taken care of as ours today. They seemed to make them work just fine, though.

You can get a reasonably priced Finnish Mosin. The M39 is seriously accurate. M39 in outstanding conditions can be bought here:

<broken link removed>

There are a couple for sale in the $200-300 range. That's pretty good. The one i bought shoots 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards. This is the limit of my eyes, not the gun. It's the gun i used to clip a quarter at 50 yards.

Last Edited:
You can get a reasonably priced Finnish Mosin. The M39 is seriously accurate. M39 in oustanding conditions can be bought here:

<broken link removed>

There are a couple for sale in the $200-300 range. That's pretty good. The one i bought shoots 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards. This is the limit of my eyes, not the gun. It's the gun i used to clip a quarter at 50 yards.

For about $250 I think you can buy a new Marlin bolt on a BiMart $30 off sale. No shipping, no FFL fee, no add a recoil pad, no need to bend a bolt, and the new Marlin will take a scope just fine no need to drill and tap or use a scout scope.

You Mosinites should start a religion so I can come for the free lunch and skip out on the sermon.

Mosinites; LOL!

I agree with MSol I have seen a Rem 788 in 6MM Remington shoot at one session 4 targets of 5 rounds each that all were 1/2". Not bad for the price. and I thought they were inferior before that day. No more...

I'm trying to maximize my budget at this point. I'm going to say my budget for this would be.... around $200 or less

Look for a Yugo M-48 series rifle. You get the proven Mauser intermediate action and surplus 8mm is cheap. Many of there Yugo Mausers are diamonds in the rough.

This was $220, unissued M-48 from Gunbroker in Clackamas.
yugo001.jpg

Look for a Yugo M-48 series rifle. You get the proven Mauser intermediate action and surplus 8mm is cheap. Many of there Yugo Mausers are diamonds in the rough.
I would agree M-48's and the 24/47s. When ever have to get groceries I check out the big 5 next door, I found a 24/47 for $189, matching numbers, bright bore and chamber, packed in cosmoline. It takes about a day to clean the cosmo but for that price, well worth it. Shoots great. Looks cool. Packs a punch.

Ide buy a used .30-30 lever gun. The pawn shop here in Mac has about ten of them for 275-500. They worked for the cowboys and .30-30 is one of the best hunting rounds ever, if not the best! On payday, I plan on picking one up for a truck gun and to keep loaded in the closet. Talking to all the loggers around here, just about every one of them keeps an old winchester next to there bed to defend their property and animals. Great guns.

<broken link removed>

with a couple cases of:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=A54539R&groupid=33

$650 with 2160 rounds of ammo and it's semiauto. Hard to beat that!

last week I paid $425 + $25 FFL on a used Centrury Arms AK-74 and a few minutes ago (before I saw this thread) I just ordered a case of 5.45X39 Russinn for $299 incl shipping. The price for the ammo at aimsurplus comes out about $7 cheaper at $292.xx. Not enough to make me cancel my order but still cheaper!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top