JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Went to an indoor shooting range with my buddy who was shooting his Glock 19 for the first time. I took my new Colt Defender .45.

Had a lot of fun. We competed against each other on a 5-target sheet:
  • five shots only: two handed shooting
  • five shots only; one hand shooting
  • five shots only; the other hand
  • ten shots; two chances per target to hit the red
  • one shot; start at 45° down angle; I call out a number; raise pistol to that number and hit it
  • one shot; start at 45° down angle; he calls the number, etc.
  • 14 shots; hit as many in the circle as you can
  • etc.
I went through over 200 rounds, with only 2 misfeeds, one of which was probably a limp-wrist.

Tried out a box of my Hornady 200gr .45ACP FTX rounds. They worked pretty well; no misfeeds.

It's clear my Defender is a close-in defense gun. Anything out beyond 35' and the accuracy was atrocious. Of course, this was mostly due to my inexperience, though it's clear that to be accurate beyond that distance you must be nearly flawless in your aim and very steady. That's fine, because I didn't buy it to be a sniper. It's for saving a life (mine or the Missus) at close quarters, and I think it fits the bill very nicely.

I tried out my friend's Glock and couldn't adapt to the long trigger-pull. I kept thinking, "when's this thing gonna shoot?" Though I liked the feel of the gun and the mild recoil of the 9mm round. The couple times I shot it I was more accurate than my buddy (chuckle).

After 200+ rounds, the recoil of my .45 took a toll on my elbow. It's a little sore (but not too sore to stop shooting).

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top