JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I hope it's ok if I post this.

This is directly from the ATF law for BG Checks.

The NICS examiner will provide the FFL with the date of the third business day after the firearm check was initiated. Business days do not include the day the check was initiated, Saturdays, Sundays, and any day state offices in the state of purchase are closed. If the FFL has not received from the NICS a final determination after three business days have elapsed since the delay response, it is within the FFL's discretion whether or not to transfer the firearm (if state law permits the transfer). If the FFL transfers the firearm, the FFL must mark "No resolution was provided within three business days" on line 21d of the ATF Form 4473. It is recommended the FFL record the date provided in the delay response on which the firearm may be lawfully transferred under federal law if a final determination of proceed or denied is not received from the NICS.

I did verify that no response counts as well.

So get your guns guys.... don't wait a week for what should have been 3 days.

The NICS examiner will provide the FFL with the date of the third business day after the firearm check was initiated. Business days do not include the day the check was initiated, Saturdays, Sundays, and any day state offices in the state of purchase are closed. If the FFL has not received from the NICS a final determination after three business days have elapsed since the delay response, it is within the FFL's discretion whether or not to transfer the firearm (if state law permits the transfer). If the FFL transfers the firearm, the FFL must mark "No resolution was provided within three business days" on line 21d of the ATF Form 4473. It is recommended the FFL record the date provided in the delay response on which the firearm may be lawfully transferred under federal law if a final determination of proceed or denied is not received from the NICS.

That's all good, unless they have a policy like Cabela's where they won't, even though they legally could.
Also FYI backrounds in Oregon are run through FICS which is run by Oregon State Police, there is no NICS here.

3881 in the que right now. My local shop said CHL's don't seem to be the deciding factor. Crazy times. I'm guessing a lot of FFL's aren't so comfortable to give firearms to people until they get a "proceed" back from OSP. But the ATF rule is really good info!

That's all good, unless they have a policy like Cabela's where they won't, even though they legally could.
Also FYI backrounds in Oregon are run through FICS which is run by Oregon State Police, there is no NICS here.

Oregon follows the same rules. I verified that with the ATF agent in charge Charles Spaulding.

Yes the ffl does not have to do it. So I found the good ones that DO.

Oregon follows the same rules. I verified that with the ATF agent in charge Charles Spaulding.

Yes the ffl does not have to do it. So I found the good ones that DO.
We should have a list or include that info in FFL reviews. It could be customer dependant as well. If you and your FFL have an established relationship the FFL may be more likely to follow the 3 day rule.

Thanks for posting this, i appreciate it, and the response

The FFL may be "off the hook" criminally.....

If I had an FFL, no way I am releasing a firearm to anyone without official approval!

This world is way to sue happy for any business owner with any sense at all to put themselves in that kind of liability.

Thread is a bit old, however I figured it would be better to continue vs start a new thread.

FYI, I was #4861 in line in Oregon for a Transfer/Background check Saturday July 11th. Was told by LGS that it was likely an 8-10 day wait. This happened to be for a private party transfer. How do you spell INFRINGEMENT?

Update from post #57. It was almost 6 days to the hour from the time I submitted the BGC, the the time of phone call from the LGS for pickup. Seems like the law should be modified at minimum to state, "if for any reason a background check does not return as a failure within 60 minutes, the licensed dealer shall release the firearm without question"

Joking of course, ALL gun laws are infringement....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top