JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Cars these days you can disable the collision detect stuff and it stays off, that's all in the menus.

Auto stop/start must be disabled per engine start because the car's gas mileage is computed with in ON, so to not be accused of false advertisement of the higher MPG number (which everyone wants) they have to start with it enabled.

20231020_163702.jpg

This B.S. ?

On my 2016 Sub, you had to disable the collision avoidance in the software menus.
Worst case, put tape over the cameras mounted on the other side of the rear view mirror.
Their algorithm sucked. Mine locked up the brakes twice when I was maneuvering to avoid an obstacle rather than slamming on the brakes. It slammed them both times anyway.
I was relieved when a kid rear-ended me and totaled that Subaru. I'll never buy another. Under-powered, not terribly durable, mediocre AC, and I think 26mpg sucks for such a small car.
For Seattle, you need dual suppressed 300BO chain guns mounted under the hood. Person like today, press the button under the flap on the dash, buh bye!

I shared the story with multiple people. Just got this email back from my stock broker:

That's horrible. Something similar happened to my youngest daughter last week but it was in the middle of the day. The homeless person tore off the handle to her back door on the driver's side. Needless to say, scared her to death.

Stay out of the cities! Glad you guys are ok.

First off I didn't know newer vehicles did that, I hope that's not a option on the new f150s. (I'll test it out later on one of my boys) second I always keep my tools on my person, even on long drives back to SD. The wife says it's uncomfortable and puts hers in the center console safe when we are together. It very easily could have been a situation where she was just the distraction.....glad you both are ok and sounds like you learned alot from the Seattle streets

Smart cars will endanger your life. Newer F-150 will stop you from escaping danger.

When I am driving into downtown Seattle I have my gun in an IWB holster. With a vehicle I can evade if possible but depends on the situation. The last thing I would want to do is shoot someone. My car is a 2008 Impreza so it does not have any look ahead functionality at all. It has anti-lock brakes and a anti-skid mechanism that kicks in on rain or snow sometimes which means I am driving too fast.

When I had to leave my Acura at the dealer for work, they gave me a newer one. I noticed that it jerked every time I had to start from a stop. I finally figured out that the car was shutting down on a stop and I was pushing the accelerator down too quickly (in their opinion).

I never did find the disable sequence, but I wish the dealer had warned me.

When I had to leave my Acura at the dealer for work, they gave me a newer one. I noticed that it jerked every time I had to start from a stop. I finally figured out that the car was shutting down on a stop and I was pushing the accelerator down too quickly (in their opinion).

I never did find the disable sequence, but I wish the dealer had warned me.
Rentals I've had the auto shuttoff works when fully stopped & brake pedal fully depressed.

Back off the brake pedal a touch & auto shutt off doesn't engage.

No idea if all manufacturers are like this, or not.

I was taking my wife to a medical appointment in Seattle early this morning. It was not quite daylight. I was driving her newer Subaru and had my pistol in the back seat in a backpack.

I came around a corner (South Lake Union area, not generally a bad area) and a woman stepped out from the far side of a bus shelter into the lane and put her hand out for me to stop. I immediately stopped, honked the horn, and put my hands up in a WTF signal to the woman. The woman was 10' from the front of the Subaru and standing in the road.

She threw something large toward the Subaru. My mind went into defend mode. I watched it hit the windshield and realized it was a plastic bottle full of liquid. The woman seemed to be awaiting my reaction and was reaching behind her waist.

I knew the doors were auto locked on the Subaru. I had a 'you frigging moron' moment with myself as I realized my pistol was behind me and not within my reach. Mistake 1.

I stepped on the gas of the Subaru with the intent to lurch forward and let her know I wasn't screwing around. Nothing happened. I tried again. Nothing happened. I then realized the obstacle-detection features of the Subaru were aware of a person in the road and the Subaru was overriding my input to accelerator pedal. I didn't know how to disable the features. Mistake 2.

I yelled at her while still in the car and pointed at her. I looked around wondering if she had accomplices but didn't see anyone (it was dark though, bushes by the bus shelter).

The woman stepped back behind the bus shelter, I stomped on the accelerator, the Subaru responded, and I got us out of there.

I've replayed the situation many times in my mind today. She may have been nothing more than homeless with mental-health challenges, but it could have gone worse. I thought I would share.

My personal takeaways:
  • Things happen VERY fast. Be ready.
  • I must be disciplined about keeping my firearm within reach and at the ready.
  • Know the vehicle I am driving. Specifically, know how to disable newer obstacle-detection features.
I hope this helps improve awareness and readiness for anyone reading.
I literally told my wife when these vehicle detection features came out, "I don't want that, if I am going to run into something it's going to be on purpose anyway and I don't want a computer stopping me!"

Glad this benign sobering experience ended without issue. The rampant drug zombies causing issues is a major problem. Seattle keeps getting the same ideology at every level of government and the results have been the inevitable result. Can't put crap in and not get crap out.

HA HA HA whos the goober now for driving a 10 year old car a 25 year old pickup and a 75 year old Willys jeep? I can run down anyone with impunity heck I can do it at .75mph in the Willys The car a 2013 Ford Focus does have a back up alarm but that just makes noise it does not in anyway control the car. The pickup is a 98 Dakota that was originally bought by the State Weights and Measures dept and has the HD towing package on both ends as well as real stout steel black painted bumpers. The Willys in its past life has knocked down 3" D Douglas fir trees at speed with no noticeable damage.

Who woulda thought a blowup doll placed in the fast lane on an expressway will likely be the catalyst that ends us all.
$5 there's a butterfly trampstamp on that murderdoll.

Upcoming Events

Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top