JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To the OP rather than whine about how unfair the world is to you, you could go down to the local forest circus, burrito of lawn maintenance office and BUY a map and look for the crossed pick symbol that marks the spot of a pit or gravel pile. Heck maybe you'll find your own super secret shooten' spot or maybe we'll be reading about you in the funny papers after the spring thaw.
You can download them for free.
Even shows the locked gates.

Are you a Californian or something?
So, kind of a funny thing, but SoCal has far more shooting opportunities at public ranges than the Willamette Valley. Okay, also a zillion more people. Oregon is filled with private clubs compared to the evil empire to the south. More public shotgun opportunities up here by far. But to sight in a rifle (not indoors) if you are in the Salem area??? Good luck. Emerald Empire GC in the Springfield area is about the closest I'm guessing. This is just an observation, not any type of judgement.

Heck if I could find a club with a rifle/pistol range I would gladly pony up the money to join.
Any clubs in the Beavercreek or Molalla area?
I tried the Canby rod and gun club, they have like a 3 or 4 year waiting list.
I grew up in Molalla moved away in 1996 and just moved back. There used to be tons of places to shoot now there almost nowhere with the woods locked up and the rock pits gone.
Molalla Rifle Club

This is my favorite part.

Oh dang maybe we can stop here", nope some mush brain parents are letting their kids sled down the hill a few feet from hwy 6.

So you wanted to stop and shoot a few feet from the highway? Is that what I'm understanding by your complaint? Doesn't sound like your responsible enough to shoot on blm land anyways... get a range membership.

So how do you really feel? You can tell us. We're all friends here.

Jesus, I thought we were anyway? Then I read the all of the replies.

Don't worry @tatewoody , some times members get some kind of bug up their butt and come off dickish. It's not the norm.
When an OP posts with that kind of tone, AND has expectations that the .gov is supposed to take care of all his needs, AND gets pizzed at others that are also trying to enjoy the outdoors, that OP is going to catch some grief. It's not bad manners, it's just one dog correcting anothers' behavior with a gentle snap of the jaws and accompanying growl.

I've lived near some of those hills & pits now for decades. Locals used to frequent various favorite places. Gradually unprecedented congestion & litter moved in, became a problem where none existed before. Eventually private landowners facing liability & civil if not criminal action along with hauling out the garbage every other week, affected them allowing access so freely. Gov.agencies changed their policies too.

Sad truth right here ^^^.
40 years ago, I used to be able to travel in the woods in the surrounding 4 counties anywhere I wanted to go for mushrooms, wood, plinking, and exploring. Then over a period of say 10yrs, the landowners got tired of trash, mudholes, whoopdie doo tires brodies, fences cut, locks cut, etc, and just closed it all up. Now I don't have anywhere to go to shoot chucks and squeaks or do any of the above. Gotta stay on .gov roads.

Good thing you weren't in a Ford! You'd probably still be looking for a tow.

Or esp a Toy truck.

Imagine being able to take some shots up in the woods or into a rock pit. Just imagine? Only if we lived between a couple mountain ranges within a forest.
Imagine logging into NF only to see that another newb has crapped the bed while going off on an entitled rant. Damn valley trolls. 🤣

When an OP posts with that kind of tone, AND has expectations that the .gov is supposed to take care of all his needs, AND gets pizzed at others that are also trying to enjoy the outdoors, that OP is going to catch some grief. It's not bad manners, it's just one dog correcting anothers' behavior with a gentle snap of the jaws and accompanying growl.

40 years ago, I used to be able to travel in the woods in the surrounding 4 counties anywhere I wanted to go for mushrooms, wood, plinking, and exploring. Then over a period of say 10yrs, the landowners got tired of trash, mudholes, whoopdie doo tires brodies, fences cut, locks cut, etc, and just closed it all up. Now I don't have anywhere to go to shoot chucks and squeaks or do any of the above. Gotta stay on .gov roads.

Or esp a Toy truck.
I just pulled a ford out yesterday in my tiny little toy truck thank you very much

I just pulled a ford out yesterday in my tiny little toy truck thank you very much
I like my little 4wd Tacoma. Its never let me down in the 21 years I've owned it.

Some years ago a couple friends of mine, cousins, went out to play in the snow in the mountains. The one had just bought a Jeep with big tires, and was looking forward to going anywhere he wanted. He got about 50 feet into the snow and got stuck. His cousin pulled him out with his 4wd Toyota, and they spent the rest of the afternoon tearing around in the snow in the Toyota.

I was really tempted to sell my truck recently and buy something bigger with more room, since I have teenagers now. I looked at how reliable the old truck has been, and how insanely expensive newer ones are, and decided to keep what I have. Maybe I'll get another 21 years out of it.

(Sorry for the thread drift- I figured this one was pretty much off it's rails anyhow)

I like my little 4wd Tacoma. Its never let me down in the 21 years I've owned it.

Some years ago a couple friends of mine, cousins, went out to play in the snow in the mountains. The one had just bought a Jeep with big tires, and was looking forward to going anywhere he wanted. He got about 50 feet into the snow and got stuck. His cousin pulled him out with his 4wd Toyota, and they spent the rest of the afternoon tearing around in the snow in the Toyota.

I was really tempted to sell my truck recently and buy something bigger with more room, since I have teenagers now. I looked at how reliable the old truck has been, and how insanely expensive newer ones are, and decided to keep what I have. Maybe I'll get another 21 years out of it.

(Sorry for the thread drift- I figured this one was pretty much off it's rails anyhow)
Yup, the days of the 25c burger are behind us..... ;)

My latest Toyota rescue in my Ford :)

IMG_20170508_201400548_HDR.jpg IMG_20170509_204846347.jpg IMG_20170508_191247200.jpg IMG_20170509_094113026.jpg

Yup, the days of the 25c burger are behind us..... ;)
I understand inflation, and that millions of people are glad to shell out a year's wage on a vehicle.

All I'm saying is that my financial priority at this time is raising four kids on a single blue-collar income. There's not much left over for fancy toys. To each their own.

All I gotta say is that this is not an unusual tow for Matt's Off Road Recovery: ;)

After watching that it's very obvious to me that it's not as much WHAT vehicle, but how a driver drives his machine. I've been in some hairy places, for the vehicles I was driving at the time, and never needed assistance to get out of a spot. It's important to be sharp enough to not get in "that" spot. Your butt is connected to that machine through the seat. Some people got numb butts. The guy in the jeep was really connected his machine.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top