JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Couple years back the lady and me took holiday in Cancun and tulum.

I paid $27.00 a night for the first place we stayed (downtown cancun via airbnb). This uptatairs apartment was by far my favorite of the three places we stayed.

The second was in tulum, loved it there but the penthouse thing we stayed in was not very secure and the development it was located within had many displaced, presumably angry folks. Murder there would be very easy given the remote location and timing (off season). The mojitos were stupid good though.think I paid around $75-80 /night.

Last place we stayed was a condo in the hotel zone- cancun. Expensive-$130/night. Facade of security with guards and gates. Right in the middle of tourist territory and I really didn't enjoy it as much. Food in the hz was by far the worst I had during my stay.

Have fun, O!

Playing it smart and not venturing out into the poorer neighborhoods at night, remaining in established "tourist areas" and not acting the "Ugly American" has its benefits.

I dress well, act respectfully, speak a bit of Spanish, and do not permit myself to be "conned" in the local shops. (The locals respect this and respond accordingly).

It is amazing how this works.
I wouldn't travel around TJ by myself anymore than walking around Rockwood, that being said I had a great experience there 2 Christmas' ago. Our company guys know the area and we had some amazing meals. Super nice people as well, just not as well off as us gringos.

Hotel trips are why I'm pushing the wife and saving to buy an RV. My sheets, my toilet, my sink. I know they are or are not clean, because I would be in charge of cleaning them.

I've stayed at too many hotels where they don't even change the sheets between guests much less actually clean anything.

Unless you are paying +500 a night, it's likely nothing has been cleaned.

Sadly this is primarily an American thing. Get out of the states and surprisingly hotels are way better at lower prices.

Thanks. I was just starting to get over my germaphobia.

Any evidence of this claim?

Food, beaches, shoes, souvenirs at 1990s prices. While it may not be in the US, a room in a clean downtown hotel (for two) is $51.39 per night (taxes included). Take that, Motel 6! Old world charm, good food, museums, history. That's the ticket.

Happiness is an inexpensive vacation that creates fond memories.

I've heard Tijuana referred to as a lot of things..."old world charm," has never been one of them. People usually come up with a couple colorful expressions followed by the phrase, "absolute shhhh...err...crap hole." Sure it's cheap. Places in the Third World usually are.

Next time try venturing a little further south to Rosarito. It's a short drive from TJ and miles better. Try the Rosarito Beach Hotel, Las Rocas or La Fonda (a bit further south). ALL of them are better than TJ. Hit Puerto Nuevo for dinner one night and/or La Fonda for breakfast. They do a great brunch on the weekends. You can day trip over to wine country if you get bored of the beach.

Also, if you haven't had a "hint of trouble" in TJ, that's awesome. "Safe," however is not a word I would use to describe TJ. The only reason I would ever take my family to TJ is because you have to go through it to get to other places. No way in hell I would take them to TJ as an end destination. YMMV.

Thanks. I was just starting to get over my germaphobia.

Any evidence of this claim?
If I were you, I would most certainly never, never ever, ever, like not ever, YouTube anything regarding hotel cleanliness.

Dear god help your sole if you buy a black light and see some of it for yourself.

Most common chains are guilty. Most not so big chains are guilty. Even somewhat pricey, $200-$300 a night places are guilty.

I've seen lint rollers used to remove stuff from sheets before the bed is made and the next guess arrives.

Don't even get me started on the walls chairs or floors, which essentially receive 0.00% cleaning for decades up until they are replaced or repainted.

Best bet if paying sub $300 a night in a decent area, just be ignorant to it all.

2jcsyds.jpg
1700 SF on 20 acres, king sized bed, kitchen, shop, woodstove, quiet out in the woods, with deer and other wild critters, no crime, TV and internet.

$60 a night

The catch is, it is $60 a night, 365 days a year, for 30 years, whether you are there or not, with 20% down on $500K, until you turn around and sell it - but it works for me. I take my 'vacations' at home. YMMV

If I were you, I would most certainly never, never ever, ever, like not ever, YouTube anything regarding hotel cleanliness.

Dear god help your sole if you buy a black light and see some of it for yourself.

Most common chains are guilty. Most not so big chains are guilty. Even somewhat pricey, $200-$300 a night places are guilty.

I've seen lint rollers used to remove stuff from sheets before the bed is made and the next guess arrives.

Don't even get me started on the walls chairs or floors, which essentially receive 0.00% cleaning for decades up until they are replaced or repainted.

Best bet if paying sub $300 a night in a decent area, just be ignorant to it all.

As someone who spends greater than two months a year in nicer hotels I concur with this assessment.

I spent 4 nights in a lower-rent hotel/motel (Hotel Villas de Santiago Inn, Tijuana) last year. I didn't bring back any "bugs" or unwanted "companions". The Aqua Rio Hotel is a definite "upgrade" from there. Cleaner, free fruit for breakfast, fresh-brewed coffee in the rooms.

I think I'll live.

Last Edited:
I lived in San Diego in my early teens. 1960's. We would borrow older friends draft cards as 18 yr old ID to go to Tijuana. I will not repeat in public the things we did, except that it did include massive hangovers.

If you are willing to drive all the way to TJ, go just a smige further south to Rosarito and Encinada. Take the toll highway, its considered safer. Some nice seafood joints, I spent my college vacation time down there surfing. They called it salsipuedes, some developer bought it, its history now.

I have been to both Rosarito and Ensenada. My room has already been paid for and canceling would lose 80% of my money. Visiting Rosarito and La Fonda may be good for a meal or a day at the beach.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top