JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Food, beaches, shoes, souvenirs at 1990s prices. While it may not be in the US, a room in a clean downtown hotel (for two) is $51.39 per night (taxes included). Take that, Motel 6! Old world charm, good food, museums, history. That's the ticket.

Happiness is an inexpensive vacation that creates fond memories.

$105 for a Motel 6 in Kirkland last year was a real shocker.

Stayed in a mini-room in South Korea at the Incheon Airport last October. I believe it was $40 for a 6 hour time slot. I took a 3-hour nap between flights and it was wonderful...
korea1.jpg

4CZg3HFZSKeb_ylAok2J5w.jpg

The airport was incredibly nice; even had robots that would help you out with information and directions...

yOeoR--MSH6wqo_Rzu5TmQ.jpg

SeaTac is an armpit compared to the Asian airports. Dirty, rundown, and filled with bubblegums.

Go look up Aqua Rio Hotel 1610 Avenida Constitucion, Zona Centro, Tijuana 22000, BCN, MX. (August 21-26) Six blocks from Hotel Caesar's (home of the original Caesar Salad 7/4/1924). A nice clean, safe, hotel.

Five nights of food, clean fun, souvenirs, and Playas de Tijuana (Tijuana beach).

Trip advisor had some nice reviews on the hotel. Seems like it's privately owned and the owners take a lot of pride in keeping it maintained. Still, TJ wouldn't be my first choice of vacation unless I needed cheap medical or dental care. I went to Cancun a few years ago. I wasn't overly impressed by anything except the blight. If I felt the desire to travel to that part of the world again I would probably try Belize. However, a nice beach is a nice beach. Have a great time!

The "blight" of 2006-2008 "drug wars" is no longer (they have long since moved to the East). The police jeaously protects the "gold mine" that is the "US Tourist Trade".

(You can take that to the bank).

Part of my job is doing security assessments for employees traveling globally.

Tijuana is not a good place to go. Although it has been getting better.

https://www.osac.gov/Pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=25981

Mexico 2019 Crime & Safety Report: Tijuana
Terrorism; Political Violence; Crime
Western Hemisphere > Mexico; Western Hemisphere > Mexico > Cabo San Lucas; Western Hemisphere > Mexico > Tijuana
4/5/2019

The current U.S. Department of State Travel Advisory at the date of this report's publication assesses Mexico at Level 2, indicating travelers should exercise increased caution due to crime.

Overall Crime and Safety Situation

The U.S. Consulate General in Tijuana does not assume responsibility for the professional ability or integrity of the persons or firms appearing in this report. The American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit cannot recommend a particular individual or location and assumes no responsibility for the quality of service provided. Review Overseas Security Advisory Council's (OSAC) Mexico-specific webpage for proprietary analytic reports, consular messages, and contact information.

The Department of State divides its roles and responsibilities in Mexico among 10 consular districts. The consular district for the U.S. Consulate General in Tijuana comprises the states of Baja California and Baja California Sur.

Crime Threats

There is serious risk from crime in Tijuana. Tijuana is a large city of more than 1.6 million inhabitants with an ever-present, critical crime problem. Pickpockets mostly target large crowds on public transportation and at tourist attractions. Pickpockets normally operate in pairs or small groups, and generally carry a knife or handgun. These criminals tend to target victims based on an appearance of vulnerability, prosperity, or inattention. Criminal activity and violence, including homicide, are a primary concern throughout Baja California. While most homicides appear targeted, criminal organization assassinations and turf battles have occurred in areas U.S. citizens frequent. Bystanders have been injured or killed in shooting incidents.

Violence is largely limited to Tijuana's outlying areas and not concentrated in tourist zones, although targeted killings involving Transnational Criminal Organizations (TCOs) occurred in tourist areas in 2018. TCOs do not tend to target U.S. citizens who are not involved in drug trafficking. Tijuana's Tourism Police tends to flood these zones in the aftermath of an incident, and have increased their presence in locations vital to tourism in a push to maintain order.

TCOs are involved in narco-trafficking and human smuggling. Three rival cartels battle for control of Baja California criminal operations: the Sinaloa Cartel, the Cartel Jalisco Nueva Generación (CJNG), and remnants of the Arellano Félix Organization (AFO). Infighting is common, and increases insecurity; drug-related violence in Baja California and Baja California Sur typically affects those involved with the drug trade.

Crime is targeted and involves small criminal cells and independent operators. After Sinaloa leader Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán's arrest and extradition to the U.S., CJNG infighting resulted. Street-level drug-trafficking crimes (narcomenudeo) between rival factions have grown and led to Baja California's unprecedented 3,150 homicides in 2018, a 36% increase over 2017. Tijuana alone recorded 2,518 homicides in 2018.

Mexican government statistics reveal that the five Baja California municipalities – Tijuana, Mexicali, Ensenada, Rosarito, and Tecate – all had a record number of homicides in 2018. Mexicali and Rosarito recorded a slight increase in homicide, while Ensenada recorded a 29% increase and Tecate a 66% increase. All five municipalities reported a slight increase in reported rape, except for Rosarito. Robberies increased in Tijuana and Tecate. There was a decline in robberies for Mexicali, Ensenada, and Rosarito.

In Baja California Sur (BCS) the majority of U.S. interests are concentrated in Los Cabos and La Paz. BCS reported a significant 77% decrease in homicides in 2018, based on data from the Executive Secretariat of the National Public Security System. The murder rate is now below the national average.

BCS reported more stability in 2018. Stronger law enforcement efforts and the presence of Mexican Navy (SEMAR) resulted in several successful operations against the drug cartels. BCS has a unified command structure that incorporates the SEMAR, federal, state, and local police to establish public order. The majority of homicides in BCS occur in outlying areas and not in tourist zones. Illegal drugs are for sale widely throughout tourist locations. Visitors should be vigilant against crime and petty theft.

A new criminal justice system implemented in 2016 has brought with it a steep learning curve. The new accusatory system, designed to overhaul Mexico's justice system, focuses on procedure and transparency, which favors public trials over written arguments. Mexico's transition to an oral accusatorial justice system is widely supported.

Hotel trips are why I'm pushing the wife and saving to buy an RV. My sheets, my toilet, my sink. I know they are or are not clean, because I would be in charge of cleaning them.

I've stayed at too many hotels where they don't even change the sheets between guests much less actually clean anything.

Unless you are paying +500 a night, it's likely nothing has been cleaned.

Sadly this is primarily an American thing. Get out of the states and surprisingly hotels are way better at lower prices.

Hotel trips are why I'm pushing the wife and saving to buy an RV. .

We're on our third revision of RV. First was an overland type tent trailer, second was a truck camper, now its a 27' Class C. Absolutely never thought I would get into it, but I love it. We go somewhere every weekend.

That's easy, you've been there before it sounds, a bunch.

Doesn't mean someone else won't have a problem going there with the family for there first time.

Playing it smart and not venturing out into the poorer neighborhoods at night, remaining in established "tourist areas" and not acting the "Ugly American" has its benefits.

I dress well, act respectfully, speak a bit of Spanish, and do not permit myself to be "conned" in the local shops. (The locals respect this and respond accordingly).

It is amazing how this works.

I last stayed at 'Rosarito Beach Hotel' about 40 years ago.
While pleasant enough then, the phobias & stresses of traveling thru such hoards is too much in today's world.

Had been warned about 'avoid Bull Fight Night' traffic....somehow managed to get sucked into it, had actual idleing in COMPOUND GEAR in 4 lanes of bumper to bumper traffic from the gates at the border clear north of San Clemente. Now on one of my 'reverse bucket lists' of things to NEVER do again.

Enjoy your journey Capt O.:cool:

I will spend a little more to go to a nice place than Tijuana. I remember going down to Tijuana and seeing things I wish I could forget. Tijuana isn't on my map for possible vacations.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top