JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No, this isn't a drill. I am seriously considering a pistol in .22lr. Before everyone goes and suggests a Ruger MK, I have had a couple and they aren't my bag.

My main reasons for wanting one is cheap practice and working with new shooters. This may come as a surprise to some, but I am an avid Glock shooter and I EDC one. NOT because they are the "best". In fact, I can shoot many other pistols better. When I say better, I mean slightly tighter groups. I don't shoot handguns for pinpoint accuracy, I shoot them to practice self defense and quick threat stoppage. That being said, I trust Glocks 100% so they are what I spend my money on.

But, the G44......nope. Here's why:
It's a G19 sized gun. Not my favorite. The G19 is great, but it doesn't do anything particularly well IMO. A bit too small for my hands, a bit too large for some to carry. I personally EDC a G45 so what do I know? :D
Polymer slide. Eh....no.
10 round capacity. Not a deal breaker, but I don't get it.
Did I mention the polymer slide? This thing may be as close to a Glock 7 as we'll ever see. :D

So....I went and handled a few other offerings. The Taurus TX-22 and the Smith M&P22. The Taurus felt cheap (go figure) and the fit and finish really turned me off.

The M&P...I liked it. The full size version more than the compact. I've owned several M&Ps and find them to be good guns that I shoot well.

Any other ideas? I'm not looking for a "target" style gun like the Ruger MK. I'm looking for something that is similar to larger caliber "duty weapons".

For the sake of less redundant posts, pretend the G44 hasn't been announced yet. :)

Appreciate any input.

Hit me up if you want hands on with the TX22. I'm literally offloading all my other 22 pistols since getting it. Trigger is really really nice. Ergos are great, mag capacity is great. Only downside, to some, is the name on the side.

Hit me up if you want hands on with the TX22. I'm literally offloading all my other 22 pistols since getting it. Trigger is really really nice. Ergos are great, mag capacity is great. Only downside, to some, is the name on the side.

How is the slide finish holding up? The one I handled already had scratches on it and it was brand new. I've also seen where the ejection port gets all nicked up from spent casings. My OCD would hate that.

Oh wait, the SR22 ad says it's a "compact"...

I shoot my SR9c with Hogue wrap on it because I am used to Glock sized grips...
Too small and I don't shoot many hammer fired guns so I prefer to stick with striker (or at least internally hammer fired for sake of familiarity).

I guess this one is out of the question then...

Sig-Sauer-22.png

Sig 1911-22

:D:D:D

I think a good 1911 in .22 would be fun, but if I'm gonna do that I'm going TCM. :cool:

How is the slide finish holding up? The one I handled already had scratches on it and it was brand new. I've also seen where the ejection port gets all nicked up from spent casings. My OCD would hate that.
It's only anodized, that I can tell. Not the thickest anodizing either. I was using a screwdriver to scrape out carbon and lead build up after at least 800 rounds the other day all suppressed. No anodizing came off that I could tell after literally scraping at it. Some anodizing is gone on the slide where it meets the steel rails on the frame. Externally it looks the same as the day I got it.

It has combat style sights, which I'm debating if switching out. However out of the box it was dead nuts on at 15 yards.

Take down is very very Glock like. Even disassembling the striker is similar to disassemble on a Glock though somewhat different parts.

No joke a 10 shot revolver wouldn't be a bad choice either. Instead of magazines just invest in speed loaders.

maxresdefault.jpg

Ruger Wranglers are fun. I can pattern 4" at 12y with bulk American Eagle crap munitions.

I'd like to pick up a Volquartsen 22 or a Pac-lite variant.

Though I know you hate em, both of my 22/45's run solid now that they have a good amount of ammo through them. Mounted red dot makes them ringers.

With your self imposed restrictions, you've limited yourself into quite a few shallow burrows. I wish a full size .22 would come out and I've ran those 1911 style 22's but none were consistent as the mass needing to move is sometimes too great for the ammo.

I would like to have something like my XD's in size in .22. The polymer slides of the new models that are out now really turn me off too.

Last Edited:
I'll preface this by saying guessing this will get torpedoed, but it worked for us for over a decade of shooting. That and pretty much anything .22LR bores me, so not really up on what the latest and greatest is. Agreed on the Glock 44; even if I was a Glock guy, it would still be a yawn. (Polymer frame? Seriously?)

Those caveats aside, we've really liked our Walther P22.* It was original acquired so that my Smurf size sidekick could practice with a handgun similar to her P99 carry piece. It has worked for that. We then adapted to run with a silencer and it can be fun to plink with said when in the right mood.

Quality control seems to be an issue from what I've read on the Interatubes. Ours has been 100% excellent and does anything I'd expect a .22 pistol from a mainstream company to do. Others do not report the same. YMMV.

waltherpewcigar-jpg.jpg

Those caveats aside, we've really liked our Walther P22.* It was original acquired so that my Smurf size sidekick could practice with a handgun similar to her P99 carry piece. It has worked for that. We then adapted to run with a silencer and it can be fun to plink with said when in the right mood.

Quality control seems to be an issue from what I've read on the Interatubes. Ours has been 100% excellent and does anything I'd expect a .22 pistol from a mainstream company to do. Others do not report the same. YMMV.

Read a review/recommendations for .22 pistols and that's what it said... the Walther P22 is known for it's reliability!!

Read a review/recommendations for .22 pistols and that's what it said... the Walther P22 is known for it's reliability!!

Good to know. I haven't really followed it, but I've seen enough comments here and on an NFA board I frequent that it seems 50/50 split between "It's great and never misses a beat" to "Utter garbage; don't buy one". Dunno. I know ours runs like a top as do the other three Walthers (P1, P99, PPK/S) in the battery. (Though I am considering selling the P1 only because yet another nine is kind of redundant at this point.)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top