JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The only plastic 22LR Pistol I own is a suppressor ready S&W MP 22 and am not going to be intimidated by any Political what if's. Have owned about every Plastic 22LR made. I like this one & it hasn't failed yet. Personally, I still prefer my S&W 41, High Standard Victor, S&W 2206, & High Standard Field King.
Right on man! If there was pressure on threaded barrel guns then that would make me want to buy more of them than I have already.

I have a ton of .22s. Other than my obscenely priced beretta. My nicest is a customized buck mark. Have a ruger charger I like too.
Never give up... I hear from that genius in Virginia that it's how you hold it and work your fingers that make it a semi automatic. Or was it a full semi automatic? I don't know... it's all so confusing
The Political Logic for removing the semi automatic firearm function; "All gun owners in possession of Semi Autos must have their trigger finger removed".

Model 41
But this is more of a Target gun
Sweetness though

CZ Kadet
Full size trainer
CZ's are awesome pistols

P226 in 22LR
Full size trainer
I found a deal on one, just have never shot it
Have a 9mm upper for it as well

In a polymer gun, Walther PPQ 22 is worth a look
They took a different approach (than Glock) as shown here in a comparison...

I grew up with a Ruger Standard and it's the reason I've not bought very many 22s. I learned how to strip and reassemble it before I was a teenager and still wonder what all of the fuss is about... Accurate as can be and has a great trigger. The non adjustable sights are the only downside for me. The grip angle is similar to a Glock, too. But if it's not the OP's kind of gun, then it's not. Personal preferences vary with everyone.
I've had a couple of revolvers; High Standard Double nine, Ruger Super Single Six, and they didn't stay around long, either. I bought my nephew a Taurus DA 8 shot revolver because it was what he wanted and borrowed it back to teach my grandson handgun shooting. It's an OK gun, but the hammer pull and the double action trigger pull are about the same, which is probably near 20 lbs!
Even though I shot the livin' crap out of the Standard when I was young, it mostly sat for decades until my grandson started shooting it a year ago.
I've looked at the Browning 1911-22 and thought, "Well, isn't that cute?" Might be fine if hand size is small.

22's in general aren't my "bag", but if I was to get another one I'd probably be looking at either a Colt conversion, or an Ace (or Service Master Ace). I have an S&W Shield and if the M&P 22 is anywhere near as reliable as the rest of the M&P series, it would be a winner.

I, too, will be interested in what @Kruel J decides on, if he pulls the the trigger. :s0073:

My first 22 pistol the Buckmark Pratical, the year it was unveiled. Has had 1000's of rounds with very few malfunctions, and those I had; they were due to round not firing, or neglect on my part. When the build up of residue between the barrel and breech face gets too thick (altering the headspace), it doesn't want to fire or eject properly. However, clean it up, and PRESTO, it's back to perfection. In 11 years I would guesstimate 10,000+ rounds fired. I imagine I would have to shoot around 600-800 rounds before I started having the problems I mentioned. Though I cannot say for sure, as I never really kept track. Generally I would go through an entire brick of 525+ (3-5 days of shooting) before I would clean it again. Usually shot 150-200 rounds per day. As for other maintenance, I've only replaced the firing spring & pin once, and that's everything. Never had any magazine feed issues. Browning makes quality products in my opinion. And there certainly are many different models to choose from in the Buckmark line.

Had a Ruger MkIII, didn't care for the plunger operation nor the takedown method. Especially since mine was built with manufacture defects. Had a burr on the barrel to frame that would not allow the barrel to be removed (before I removed the burr with my Dremel tool). Then there was the grip to magazine release issue, which caused loading, and ejection problems. Seems they didn't finish the cut out around the eject button properly, which was causing the magazine to not lock in fully was it should. As a result, the space was not correct and there were loading issues with just about every magazine at some point. I tried multiple magazines, and they all had an issue at some point. I finally discovered the issue when I was cleaning it up to trade it in! Oh well, I still liked the way the Browning felt and operated better anyway. Before I got rid of the Ruger MKIII, I replaced it with an S&W Model 617 revolver, it's excellent!

If I were buying a new 22LR handgun today, I would probably consider the Ruger LCP 22, only because of the size, that or one of the snub nose S&W revolvers. Already have my target 22's.

@SmitKoWitz The Buckmark, Ruger (Standard, MKI to 4), Woodsman and the High Standard all have that swept grip frame and while very similar, distinct biases occur and I find it amusing.
I love my Ruger for the same reasons you love your Buckmark. But I gotta admit the slabsided Ruger I had fit so tightly that it was a huge pain to get assembled which discouraged cleaning, and thus shooting. If that had been my first experience, I'da never bought another, which I haven't. I have looked longingly at a few of the older ones that have popped up for sale.

From what research I have been doing as a result of searching for a plastic 22 auto seems to suggest that none of them are reliable regardless of top shelf ammo. Anyone find one that has consistent reviews that a 22 SW MP or SR Ruger or 44 Glock or others are reliable?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top