JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If a member is breaking the rules, they should be reported via the report button.

If a member isn't necessarily breaking the rules but you (or anyone else) have concerns, feel free to contact me privately :)
That's the thing, say this a hole already has me ignored, under the new system, I won't see his content now. I won't be able to report him if I wanted to?

That's why I called it a shadow ban. This system may allow trolls to ignore folks and go on trolling unnoticed. Great for me, bad for you and the site?

I haven't ignored anyone. I likely won't. I usually just pass by their posts. I also don't like using the report button, as I've been labeled too emotional in the past for "complaining" as it is. I (personally) feel like staff should be the ones finding these trolls and dealing with them.

Just my opinions...

That's the thing, say this a hole already has me ignored, under the new system, I won't see his content now. I won't be able to report him if I wanted to?

That's why I called it a shadow ban. This system may allow trolls to ignore folks and go on trolling unnoticed. Great for me, bad for you and the site?

I haven't ignored anyone. I likely won't. I usually just pass by their posts. I also don't like using the report button, as I've been labeled too emotional in the past for "complaining" as it is. I (personally) feel like staff should be the ones finding these trolls and dealing with them.

Just my opinions...

Yep, that's correct. If he has you blocked you won't be able to view his content or report him. Hopefully people will report before ignoring if there's an actual rule violation. Unfortunately, no system is perfect, we simply don't have a solution to address every scenario. We have 50,000 members here, so I certainly wouldn't call it a shadow ban, as any of those 49,999 can still view and report if necessary. We don't shadowban here, I prefer to be direct with our members :)

I agree that the staff finding this content is ideal, but this is a big site and it's just not possible in all cases. I think the report system is plenty sufficient, people just need to use it. It's by far the fastest way to address issues here.

I ignore a certain member because of a large number of posts in a certain thread.

In other threads, it is easy to click show ignored content to see those posts.

Blocking both ways seems to be overkill as a default behaviour. I see it as an optional kind of setting.

What is the reason for the block?
- posting way too many memes about kittens is one thing - I don't want to see those
- vs they can't have a civil discussion with me ex. Lecturing me I should be a one issue (guns) voter
- vs they can't have a civil discussion with others ex. Glock -v- 1911

Do I need to un-ignore those on my list?
I still want them to see my copious puppy memes!

@Joe Link
If a certain member is blocked by say 20 or more members, could we just ban that person?
I see Joe addressed this, but if you and the moderators could see how many users blocked an individual, that might prove to be useful data. I wouldn't suggest any automatic actions, but a top 10 blocked users to the moderators might be good management detail.

I ignore a certain member because of a large number of posts in a certain thread.

In other threads, it is easy to click show ignored content to see those posts.

Blocking both ways seems to be overkill as a default behaviour. I see it as an optional kind of setting.

What is the reason for the block?
- posting way too many memes about kittens is one thing - I don't want to see those
- vs they can't have a civil discussion with me ex. Lecturing me I should be a one issue (guns) voter
- vs they can't have a civil discussion with others ex. Glock -v- 1911

Do I need to un-ignore those on my list?
I still want them to see my copious puppy memes!

At this point the software isn't sophisticated enough to include granular control on a per-user level, but it is something I'm asking the developers to work on. Ideally people would be able to control whether specific members on their list could view their content or not, and also whether an indicator is displayed indicating there is hidden content from that member or not (as you mentioned was in the old system).

I see Joe addressed this, but if you and the moderators could see how many users blocked an individual, that might prove to be useful data. I wouldn't suggest any automatic actions, but a top 10 blocked users to the moderators might be good management detail.

I do have the ability to view ignore statistics (which I do use) :)

Yep, that's correct. If he has you blocked you won't be able to view his content or report him. Hopefully people will report before ignoring if there's an actual rule violation. Unfortunately, no system is perfect, we simply don't have a solution to address every scenario. We have 50,000 members here, so I certainly wouldn't call it a shadow ban, as any of those 49,999 can still view and report if necessary. We don't shadowban here, I prefer to be direct with our members :)

I agree that the staff finding this content is ideal, but this is a big site and it's just not possible in all cases. I think the report system is plenty sufficient, people just need to use it. It's by far the fastest way to address issues here.
Thank you for the feedback Joe. I hope you know my thoughts and opinions are for the best interests of NWFA. I understand there are 50000 "total" members in all honesty there are usually only 1-2 thousand online at a time if that and probably less actively creating content?

I've been labeled too emotional in the past

To be fair @Kruel J 's stance on .22LR can be quite infuriating, I think you've handled it well. :s0112:
30b52d5b1987cb59af5236a4d8334ca1.jpg

"I hope you know my thoughts and opinions are for the best interests of NWFA."

Wow!
Care to add some context to this post?

Otherwise you're only proving my point that trolls exist. At least I can see your content thus far, meaning you haven't ignored me yet.

My content here is heavily on the side of firearm related content. So I feel like (in my opinion) my opinions might mean a little here.

What do I know...

I (personally) feel like staff should be the ones finding these trolls and dealing with them.

Sorry, but we have lives and jobs and everything else. I'm not going to spend 24/7 reading every post in every thread to find trolls. That's why we have the report button.

Unless @Joe Link wants to pay me $100k/year to do it. :D

Reno,

Sure.

I was favorably impressed by your ideas, but calling me a troll I thought was verboten in the context of treating each member with excellence.

You seem mighty quick on the draw there partner.

Reno,

Sure.

I was favorably impressed by your ideas, but calling me a troll I thought was verboten in the context of treating each member with excellence.

You seem mighty quick on the draw there partner.
Just trying to verify your intentions of the word "wow". I apologize for insinuating that you might be a troll.

Reno

While relatively new, I think the staff do a pretty good job so far. As stated, they have lives outside of the internet and it would be far fetching to think they could possibly read every bit of content that is posted in a days time frame! I've used the Report button a few times, mostly just because something was posted in the wrong forum by mistake and think it's a great feature to help the staff police things up.

Just checked my ignore list, yep, it'll stay the same!:s0112:

Sorry, but we have lives and jobs and everything else. I'm not going to spend 24/7 reading every post in every thread to find trolls. That's why we have the report button.

Unless @Joe Link wants to pay me $100k/year to do it. :D
I don't disagree!

Id do it for some extra income if that were an option???

Hell I'd take payment in bricks of 22!

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR