JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes, the question was which 'caliber' not which revolver. That said, most of my experience is with the .357 magnum so I would recommend that caliber. There is such a tremendous variety of ammunition between .38 special and .357 magnum. The same can be said for the .44 magnum/.44 special calibers. I'm not sure why the writer said the revolver would only get fired a couple of times a year.

:s0155:

Hard to argue with any of that. Mine is a 3" SP101 in 357 with CTC grips. Compact and surprisingly accurate. Whatever you decide you need to shoot it more than a couple times a year if you're gonna rely on it.

I have spent every moment possible rafting, kayaking, climbing, backpacking, camping, sea kayaking, and caving in Oregon since 1986, and I never once needed a gun to do it. I think you'll be fine.

Don't get me wrong. Guns are cool, and so is camping. But if you feel like you can't do one without the other, in my opinion*, you need more experience as an outdoorsman.

*I'm sure there will be several follow up posts to remind me that my opinion doesn't matter.

Your experience is similar to mine along those lines, but lately with the uptick in cougars and coyotes where I go, and that I usually have my dog with me, I have started carrying my 357 whenever I'm out. This is one of the reasons. These guys walked along the edge of my deck a few weeks ago, mama was out in the sage brush.

those are great pics!

I have definitely seen an increase in coyotes here on the coast, but no incidences of disappearing dogs, cats, or livestock yet. I think they are able to forage plenty from the dumpsters and parks. I also think there are a few misguided individuals feeding them, like the black bear lady in Yachats.

Every surfer North of Santa Cruz has to know they're sharing the waves with seals, sea lions, salmon, and sharks. You get to know the critters, their habits, what they eat and how to read the signs of other animals in the area, and that will tell you a lot. Same thing on land.

Now, I would certainly use the presence of cougars, bears, or coyotes as an excuse to haul mi pistola around with me... but I would know inside that I just thought my guns were cool, and that I didn't really need them.

I have spent every moment possible rafting, kayaking, climbing, backpacking, camping, sea kayaking, and caving in Oregon since 1986, and I never once needed a gun to do it. I think you'll be fine.

Don't get me wrong. Guns are cool, and so is camping. But if you feel like you can't do one without the other, in my opinion*, you need more experience as an outdoorsman.

*I'm sure there will be several follow up posts to remind me that my opinion doesn't matter.

Not so much for carrying it in Oregon, but when I got to Alaska, for bears.

here's a similiar thread from another forum on .44 mag and bears.

I'm no sourdough, for sure. The only time I went to Alaska, I saw a big grizzly in the backcountry... from about 100 yards. I did wish I had a gun, but a disciplined approach to camp, clothing, food, and movement is what helped me and the bear avoid any close encounters. Beautiful country up there, though. The mosquitos were unreal!

Of course, I would not want to have just a handgun, It would be more for backup and close quarters. The bigger the revolver the more weight, and harder it is to shoot. I would also want to have a Marlin 45-70 guide, or a Remington 870 with slugs. Of course the thread is about if I could have just one revolver, i would probably choose the 44mag. While yes there is the 454 casull, 500 SW, and other large loads out there. I dont want a gun so ridiculous to shoot that I wont want to bring it. Personally the largest revolver round I have shot is the 357, So I would definitely wan to go to the range and try out other revolvers before I decided on one from just reviews and what the gun store has available.

I'm with the Medusa, It can fire 25 different .38/9mm calibers. I saw one of these in person in 1999. They are going for big bucks now.

It's an easy call for me. It's also the first handgun I owned (still have it; still take it to the range from time to time; still enjoy shooting it; and I've given it four brothers in the interveening years): Ruger Bearcat.

That smith 500 is a nice choice, and I would love a BFR with the 7 1/2" barrel in 45-70, but if I were to only be able to have one revolver it would be a Ruger super Blackhawk 44. Fun to shoot, fairly cheap to load for and it is a fine choice for hunting deer size animals.

The answer to the one gun question depends on what you want to do with it. Your thoughts of a 22 would be a good choice. I would go with the Ruger single six myself. 22 long rifle and mag. You get two for one.

It is pretty hard to beat the "L" frame for all around use. Great trigger and one of the more robust Smiths. I had a 4 inch 586 that shot a 4 inch group at 50 yards and you could still carry it.

Any modern .357 mag. 4" revolver should fill the bill. Wide variety of ammo, simple reliable operation, decent range (50 yds. +/-) for SD.

I have 5 revolvers, and my S&W model 19 (no dash) is "old reliable."

Pistols08005.jpg

Not "any" 4" .357 would do. Smiths and Colts have far better triggers, Colts are very pricey at this time and the "K" frame can't handle a steady diet of magnum ammo. A 686 used moderately and with little care will last a few generations. It won't handle the abuse that a Ruger would but it will be accurate.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top