JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Man, I cannot believe you guys, My preference would be 1)Colt Anything, (king cobra) 2)Ruger Red or super redhawk 3)Llama.or something that I can throw at them........anything but sw. Please don't chastize me..........just my 2bits. That's what I carry in the woods, A Cobra 4"..357 MAG, it doesn't interfear with my fishing or hunting and it's easy to pack....BOOM BOOM. But seriously Taurus has a few "Affordables" you may want to research. Best of Luck !

Since your question asked which caliber and why: not which revolver; I would go with a .357 Magnum. The ability to also shoot .38 Special is a boon as that round can be found virtually anywhere in the Western Hemisphere. Within its range limitations you can find a round that will cleanly take any two or four legged animal in the lower 48.

Colt's are too big of a pain to work on. The S&W work and are easier to work on than either Ruger of Colt. I can fix timing on a S&W in about half an hour. A colt could take several days...

Colt's are too big of a pain to work on. The S&W work and are easier to work on than either Ruger of Colt. I can fix timing on a S&W in about half an hour. A colt could take several days...

I've never seen an out of time Ruger DA revolver. How could a Ruger GP or Six series be harder to work on when either can be detail stripped without tools?

my dad always carries his S&W model 25, its the 45 long, but at home and in town he kept 45acp rounds in it with moon clips, when we would go out fishing, hunting, hiking, ect. he would put the 45 longs in her. excellent versatility.

I own several revolvers, but if I had to choose only one, I'd have to go with my S&W 629 .44 Magnum. No matter what you'er facein', it will ensure that you are the one left standing;of that there is no doubt.

I have actually started doing the "caliber consilidation" thing. If you like revolvers and like rimfire look at a simple Ruger covertible single six- very simple (a single action), but you can shoot .22lr and 22 mag just by swaping cylinders. If you want more power, like serious power, go classic .357 mag from whatever maker you like the looks and price of. .357 gives you the choice between full power .357 mags or .38 special loads; very flexilbe. Happy shopping!

I have only one revolver

1860 Army Uberti. Cost less than $150, requires no FFL, a $20 can of pyrodex will last a good long time, and is one of the most beautiful fireams ever built.

Seriously though... I wouldn't try to carry one all the time, and I wouldn't want it to be my sole firearm. That being said, it's still a firearm, and at one time, it represented cutting edge technology. A black powder revolver is far from a "toy", and I certainly would not want to be on the receiving end of it...

I have actually started doing the "caliber consilidation" thing. If you like revolvers and like rimfire look at a simple Ruger covertible single six- very simple (a single action), but you can shoot .22lr and 22 mag just by swaping cylinders. If you want more power, like serious power, go classic .357 mag from whatever maker you like the looks and price of. .357 gives you the choice between full power .357 mags or .38 special loads; very flexilbe. Happy shopping!

Yup. I have a Blackhawk convertible in 45 Colt. 45 acp cylinder in a Crown bag. It's all you need.

I prefer my Taurus Tracker $' 357. Very comfortable fit, trouble free and not as sensitive to residue buildup as the 686 I shot for years. I shoot a lot of different ammo, reloads etc. and I don't want the cylinder to stop turning from getting reside under the shell ejecter. The taurus has never done that and it is equal in all other ways.

Don't forget that if you bought a Ruger .357 Blackhawk Convertible, you would also be able to shoot 9mm Para in the second cyl.

Three cartridges, one gun.:s0155:

Yes, the question was which 'caliber' not which revolver. That said, most of my experience is with the .357 magnum so I would recommend that caliber. There is such a tremendous variety of ammunition between .38 special and .357 magnum. The same can be said for the .44 magnum/.44 special calibers. I'm not sure why the writer said the revolver would only get fired a couple of times a year.

I do only have one revolver. It's a Nagant M1895. Not a big revolver fan at all, so I figured I'd get a novel, historical one rather than anything all that practical. Very impressive in terms of reliability and durability, has a lot of cool factor, but doesn't have much else going for it.

Another vote for the 4" 686. Bought one recently after having 6" models for 20 years and love it. Balance is perfect for me, and will shoot any .357 ammo I want from 125 grain to 180 grain. Like the .38's for speed work on a target or pins, and .357 rounds for defense work and in the woods.

Because I go kayaking, and camping often. I would like to get a 44 magnum for protection against mammals. 22lr is fun to just go to the range and shoot cheap.

I have spent every moment possible rafting, kayaking, climbing, backpacking, camping, sea kayaking, and caving in Oregon since 1986, and I never once needed a gun to do it. I think you'll be fine.

Don't get me wrong. Guns are cool, and so is camping. But if you feel like you can't do one without the other, in my opinion*, you need more experience as an outdoorsman.

*I'm sure there will be several follow up posts to remind me that my opinion doesn't matter.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top