JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
kitco.com or bullion direct but the best deal is usually you local shop on taxes on metals in Washington (YET) no shipping and you know what you are getting, you can take a reloading scale i use the Frankford arsenal scale and weight then if you have any doubts but old established dealers are quiet honest.

I want to buy a significant amount and everyone local want's quite a bit over spot.

http://tulving.com/

A trust I work with buys theirs here. Their minimums are above my personal quantities, so I buy locally.

Question to the group: when buying retail, walk-in over the counter, what are you paying for bouillon? I found a shop only about a mile off my daily commute (vs. driving into downtown Portland) that sells silver oz's for $1.50 over spot, is that about par?

The shop guy said the base price is set by three large dealers in Vancouver, Portland and Eugene (?) and he just follows their pricing on his terminal.

People argue gold vs. silver vs. spendability. As I understand it, gold can be bought down to the 1/4 oz, currently under $300us, so if you're shopping for a sack of potatoes, yes gold may be overkill, but if you're shopping for, say, a gun, a 1/4oz gold plus some silver would be way easier than lugging 1 lb silver plus some silver. Either can be bought in *much* larger ingots. Fifty lb gold bars, anyone? Get 'em while they're *hot*.

MrB

There is a really nice guy and his wife in downtown Oregon City that have been selling the pre 64 silver coins at spot. Worth a phone call if your making a road trip.

<broken link removed>

www.apmex.com all the way. Their premiums are reasonable, and they are 100&#37; reliable and trustworthy.. If you are buying less than $200. worth the shipping cost might make it as cheap to go with a local source such as Michael's in Corvallis www.mjpm.com , but over that American Precious Metals Exchange is the way to go. Avoid Northwest Territorial Mint in Auburn WA like the clap.

I really appreciate all of the ideas. Again, I want to buy FTF with cash, and not all at once. I think Coctailer and Jack at Dan-Dee Sales have the right idea.

If I have two or three sources I can get this done fairly soon.

I've bought significant amounts of gold and silver (in the pounds). I've bought from two sources where I've had very good experiences:

ajpm.com
and
thecoincottage.com

The ajpm guys can be a bit gruff, but they are busy as heck -- you do not go there to shop, you are there to buy what you want.

I've bought over $20,000 (with cash) at one time and guess what -- no paper work at all. Nada.

My suggestion is to buy FTF, not online, not using a CC.

Cheers,
DJM

Buy only in small amounts under $8,000 or so. Over $10K and it requires personal info. In 1933 the Govt. outlawed private ownership of gold and used these records to track down owners. The Govt. was in VERY similar situation as it is now so watch out.
Also withdraw less than 10K from bank as THEY want to know what its for and fill out a Govt. transaction report on withdrawls over 10K.
The first time they asked me what I was taking out over 10K for I couldn't believe my ears! after all its my money and heres this dumb chick asking me what I want it for.

In 2006/07 I withdrew a large amounts of cash from my bank. At that time there was no reporting requirement for withdrawing cash, but there is for depositing and transferring; transferring to and from another country is a HUGE pain.

My bank was really reluctant to give me the cash to the point where I had to get fairly stern about it -- kinda scary, as this was before the major banking crisis peaked. Banks are cash poor...

Yes, they did question what I was using the cash to buy; I was polite and told them it is not their business. Each one of these withdraws took several days to complete; lots of questions, offers of loans (!!!!) vs. taking the cash...nuts. This only further reinforced my decision to buy silver/gold....

Cheers,
DJM

It makes sense to keep some silver on hand "just in case"
Blue Moon Coins owned by Ken Vilkin. Its Located on SE Mill Plain Blvd.
Best prices around (seriously) on $5000 and over.
Call 360-253-5565 and ask for Aaron or Chris.
email [email protected] or [email protected]
They also have a huge eBay site.

Sorry, but BMC has barely average prices and dubious business practices, IMO. Google them and see what you find out. Currently, their price to buy 500 Silver Eagles is more per coin than if you buy one Eagle at most other places.

I walked into BMC with 3 perfect gold eagles; spot was $1k; I was offered $2500 for all three. Laughable. Politely declined and left. Went to ajpm and was offered spot + $10 or so.

Go to ajpm's site -- their buy and sell prices are updated in real-time with the market and they make no attempt to hide their buying and selling prices.

Do your research and be careful with you money...

DJM

As someone who has bought 10's of thousands of dollars of gold coins throughout the last 5 years, let me give you some info.

You don't have to fill out a form on buying over 10k of gold. Only when you sell over 10k at once and only on certain coins. Namely Maples and US bullion.

Don't worry about it being .999 or .9999. It's meaningless. It means squat on resale.

Your going to pay a mark up over spot, so buy where the markup is less. That usually isn't local. CNI has had some of the best prices for awhile. Supposedly their salesmen don't work on commission. They ship it free and insured full value in unmarked packaging. That's important.

I've used Alder gold for selling but not buying. He's a pretty good guy if you do continual business, but it takes awhile for him to warm up. He's a gun
enthusiast also.

Don't worry if the coins are Liberties, Maples, Symphonics, Pandas or other. As long as they are at least .999 24kt and produced by a well known mint or government mint. Gold is gold. The picture doesn't matter. And stay away from numismatic coins unless you know what your doing.

Northwest Mint in Lower Seattle usually has a good amount in stock. The salesmen are pricks though.

And here is the most important part. Gold is meant to be held onto. It's a store of wealth, not a trading instrument. If your going to buy it to make money your going to loose your ***. Trying to time the market and flip it will sink you in a heart beat. Don't listen to all the people on Kitco or Gary North or other idiots. We are not in inflation and inflation is not going to come soon. If the stock market tanks again soon (it will) people will have to make margin calls and will sell gold holdings, including ETFs. That will kill the price. It doesn't matter if India is buying. It doesn't matter if the IMF is selling. The stock market is way overvalued and there is nothing to hold up gold prices at the moment. The dollar just rose because everyone is starting to see just how bad of shape the Eurozone, especially the PIIGS, are in compared to the USA. So is Japan. China could overheat and blow up soon. Simply put, people are not going to borrow right now. You can make credit available but you can't make people take it. All those excess reserves at the FED are for the next wave of foreclosures and repos and to recapitalize the FED's favored banks.

As a general rule. Don't buy gold unless your going to hold it a long time (like 10 - 20 years or more)
Don't buy unless you know what your doing and why your buying it.

Take it from someone who had 90k in bullion when it was at a thousand and then watched it go to under 700 in a day. It can happen again.

Don't listen to the people who say the gov. is going to take your gold. Where do you think the bullion banks get there gold from? The reason Keynes wanted FDR to outlaw gold and regulate it's price was because he had a big position in it and stock in gold companies. He made a fortune on price fixing.

The government doesn't care about your gold. You have to pay for it in dollars and sell it for dollars to buy what you need. They already got you.

As someone who has bought 10's of thousands of dollars of gold coins throughout the last 5 years, let me give you some info.

You don't have to fill out a form on buying over 10k of gold. Only when you sell over 10k at once and only on certain coins. Namely Maples and US bullion.

Don't worry about it being .999 or .9999. It's meaningless. It means squat on resale.

Your going to pay a mark up over spot, so buy where the markup is less. That usually isn't local. CNI has had some of the best prices for awhile. Supposedly their salesmen don't work on commission. They ship it free and insured full value in unmarked packaging. That's important.

I've used Alder gold for selling but not buying. He's a pretty good guy if you do continual business, but it takes awhile for him to warm up. He's a gun
enthusiast also.

Don't worry if the coins are Liberties, Maples, Symphonics, Pandas or other. As long as they are at least .999 24kt and produced by a well known mint or government mint. Gold is gold. The picture doesn't matter. And stay away from numismatic coins unless you know what your doing.

Northwest Mint in Lower Seattle usually has a good amount in stock. The salesmen are pricks though.

And here is the most important part. Gold is meant to be held onto. It's a store of wealth, not a trading instrument. If your going to buy it to make money your going to loose your ***. Trying to time the market and flip it will sink you in a heart beat. Don't listen to all the people on Kitco or Gary North or other idiots. We are not in inflation and inflation is not going to come soon. If the stock market tanks again soon (it will) people will have to make margin calls and will sell gold holdings, including ETFs. That will kill the price. It doesn't matter if India is buying. It doesn't matter if the IMF is selling. The stock market is way overvalued and there is nothing to hold up gold prices at the moment. The dollar just rose because everyone is starting to see just how bad of shape the Eurozone, especially the PIIGS, are in compared to the USA. So is Japan. China could overheat and blow up soon. Simply put, people are not going to borrow right now. You can make credit available but you can't make people take it. All those excess reserves at the FED are for the next wave of foreclosures and repos and to recapitalize the FED's favored banks.

As a general rule. Don't buy gold unless your going to hold it a long time (like 10 - 20 years or more)
Don't buy unless you know what your doing and why your buying it.

Take it from someone who had 90k in bullion when it was at a thousand and then watched it go to under 700 in a day. It can happen again.

Don't listen to the people who say the gov. is going to take your gold. Where do you think the bullion banks get there gold from? The reason Keynes wanted FDR to outlaw gold and regulate it's price was because he had a big position in it and stock in gold companies. He made a fortune on price fixing.

The government doesn't care about your gold. You have to pay for it in dollars and sell it for dollars to buy what you need. They already got you.

Great post and right on. I've said on here many times that gold is for storing a lot of wealth in a small space over a long time. If the SHTF and you manage to make it to the other side, then the gold could put you back on your feet. It is not a currency and it is not for speculating.

Also, the old adage about not putting all of your eggs in one basket holds. Before buying gold, a person needs the daily (and even long term) living essentials, whatever he perceives that to be.

More or less agree save for one inaccuracy in regards to purchasing 0.999 24k coins.

The most recognizable gold "coin" is the Kruggerand and probably second is the US Gold Eagle. Neither are 24k gold -- they are both 22k; they contain the exact same amount of gold as the 24k coins, but have been mixed with a touch of silver and (I think) nickle so as to add durability.

Krugs and Gold Eagles weigh 33.9 grams
All the 24k Gold coins weight 31.1 grams

I have purchased a similar amount of gold as you -- I had a mix of all sorts of coin, but have now "standardized" on Krugs and Eagles as they are so much more durable...just a personal preference.

Cheers,
DJM

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top