JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
just thought about a freind of mine who had a business where he had lots of cash. he got robbed at home one weekend when he was out of town. they took all the junk but missed the $15k in the dirty clothes hamper.

OK, just looking for some ideas here. We have a multi-story house which makes me uncomfortable as far as getting to a gun. We live in the sticks and I want to be able to grab a piece if it ever comes to that.

I need to be able to hide at least 3 weapons to keep from being cut off from a weapon if someone were to suddenly kick a door in. (Yes we have steel doors, and dead bolts with long screws into the studs.)

Thanks for any ideas. :s0155:

Mount your doors so that they open outwards ( like the back doors on most commercial business - It is kind of hard to kick a door in that opens outward.

If your looking to buy time - say an extra 20-30 seconds. and don't want to spend the money to install doors that open out ward.

a true climbing carbiner, - a length of 3/16" to 3/8" cable ( smaller will work) with cable thimbles . Three 3" Lag bolts with an eye.

You install 1 bolt below the bottom door hinge and one above about 6". Into the Stud. The other bolt is in the stud between the Deadbolt and the Door knob.

Basically if you think of the side without the Hinges as the back side of the letter K and the legs are the cables going up to each corner.

Even if you door is kicked in - it is not opening - even if your hinges were breached with a shotgun. Even a Ram will be slowed down. Cable is hard to cut with bolt cutters. ( Cable cutters will do the job quickly)

This is more to buy you 20-30 seconds if someone tries to kick in your front or back or side or garage doors.

(you will hear them and buy yourself some time to react or get to a fire arm -

It is even fire safe it takes 2 seconds to open the carbiner - if you had to get out for a fire ( or a few more if you get the locking carbiner (for rappelling. )

For hiding places - If you don't have blinds but have heavy drapes - you can work up a pocket. If you have Valances and are tall enough you could hide a fire arm over the window.

If you use trashbags you can put one in the bottom of a wastebasket.

If you have a shelves with 8 x10 photos they can hide a small pistol behind them.

Well I have said enough -

But if the Cable and eye bolts is not clear I can try to show you in photos.

The nice thing is that -it doesn't do a lot of permanent damage - you can paint the cable and bolts to match the trim for the wives.

.02 more cents - your not going to keep anyone out that is determined.

$150 hardend door locks vs. 30 Seconds with a 18v Cordless drill. ( Deadbolt or normal door lock).

Bars on your windows - Local Landscaping truck pulls up starts the lawn mowers heads to the back yard.

I was given some bars for the windows that I was fitting to put on my shop.

My 18V cordless Dewalt Sawzall cut through the 1/2" square stock (just mild steel) in about 15 seconds. What 99% of the secuirty bars are made out of.

So under the guise of a Lawn matinace or or other noise maker to cover the other noise. It would be easy to cut 3/4 the way through the support bars and come back latter.

The SERT teams just toss a couple of hooks attached to a tow rope and put it in reverse and gas it, and yank the door or window right out of the frame bars and all.

So the best you can do is slow some one down.

That is what I like about the cable and eye bolts is that it is not high dollar - it is rare to run in to, and they don't know what is stopping them. ( But this is to protect you inside. Outside is a different story.

They have motion sensors that will turn electrical items on inside the house ( Light, blast a stereo, turn on a TV , etc) So this would make some think twice that the house was occupied.

I left town for a few days and rather than using the safe I stached a gun in the laundry hamper that's kept in the master bedroom,had a he!!'ve time finding it new I hid it but couldn't rember where.

Mount your doors so that they open outwards ( like the back doors on most commercial business - It is kind of hard to kick a door in that opens outward.
That won't work around Portland and possibly elsewhere. Bikers used to do that at their clubhouses and it is no longer legal. Of course, with some attention to design, you could make it look like it opens inward...:D

I call BS on that:eek: I just take to a friend ho has been a multnomah county BLDG inspector for 17 years and he has never heard of that

Please ask your friend again. The code is state, so it doesn't vary with the county, I believe.

A door can't open outward if there are stairs, but I can't remember how many stairs. Maybe it's three. If there's a large enough landing before the stairs such as a deck or porch, then it's OK. I think it's three feet before the stairs.

Even inside a house such as a door to basement steps, the door must open inward unless again there is first sufficient landing.

They don't want someone opening a door outward over stairs, even a few steps.

$.02

A friend from work just had his broken in 2 weeks ago, ripped off his truck and filled it with tools, motorcycles, jewelry and got both of his "Hidden Guns", he had a really nice Mossberg auto shotgun "hidden" behind a false panel in his entry closet also found his handgun hidden" in his master bathroom. Thats how the BG's get their guns...stealing among others. Do what everyone should and lock them up, they can still be accessed quickly if done right. I find it better to just carry all the time, even at home.

An easy place to hide a gun is in the bottom of a wastebasket next to your bed.

Put the gun in there and cover it with a towel. Then take a bunch of dry trash such as wadded-up Kleenex, cough-drop wrappers, paper cups, cold-medicine packaging, the plastic peel-off strips from your wife's sanitary napkins etc. etc. and fill the wastebasket up. Make it look like the wastebasket was last used by a person who was sick and laid there in bed all day blowing their nose. Whatever you stash in there will be safe.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top