JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OK, just looking for some ideas here. We have a multi-story house which makes me uncomfortable as far as getting to a gun. We live in the sticks and I want to be able to grab a piece if it ever comes to that.

I need to be able to hide at least 3 weapons to keep from being cut off from a weapon if someone were to suddenly kick a door in. (Yes we have steel doors, and dead bolts with long screws into the studs.)

If anyone is willing to share, I'd appreciate some ideas. Is the old trick of putting one just inside a closet over the door so common it's no longer a "secret?"

I want to make it as hard as possible for a burglar to find a gun, but still be able to reach one if I need it. Right now I sleep with one under my pillow. (Genius here, lmao.) I'm looking for a couple of good places to stash around the house permanently, more or less.

Thanks for any ideas. :s0155:

Glock clock.

Or my favorite from TV.. A character hid some of his guns in a bowl of peanuts.

I just keep my guns in my closet. Not the best, but if I had some hand guns.. I would probably store them in some table drawers. Like desks downstairs, kitchen table. You should hide one in a spice cabinet if you have one (Or back of pantry. Good luck pulling your gun out while reaching through stacks of cans though.)

I left town for a few days and rather than using the safe I stashed a gun in the laundry hamper that's kept in the master bedroom, had a he!!'ve time finding it. Knew I hid it but couldn't remember where.

before we went on a cruise, I didn't want to open the safe again and I still haven't found it!! Should have taken a picture with my cell phone of where I put it. Unfortunately it's a blued gun and not one of the two stainless ones of the same model. Hope it isn't too rusty when I do find it!!

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

No kids at home, I use earth magnetics to put my steel pistols in a place I can get to with little effort but not in a place a theif would toss when ransaking my home. An example would be in the kitchen under the hanging cabinets, they might go through the cabinet but won't look under it, still easy to access if you need it. Look around your home plenty of places to put a firearm that are close for access but not where a bad guy would look.

My favorite from another forum was a cats litter box, the guy didn't have a cat but kept a litter box with a Glock in it.

I knew a guy in the National Guard that toted around a pair of nasty looking underwear, all hole-y and stained whenever he wanted to "secure" anything he'd just wrap it up in the nasty drawers it worked wonders. The trash can thing has been brought up several times, I wonder if thieves have picked up on this yet.

I'm thinking of designing a fake wall socket. It will house a box big enough for a pistol. Something will be 'permanently' plugged to the socket which I can use to grab on to (e.g., air freshener). When I grab it, out comes with it the entire box.

I just have not found the time to do it.

I'm thinking of designing a fake wall socket. It will house a box big enough for a pistol. Something will be 'permanently' plugged to the socket which I can use to grab on to (e.g., air freshener). When I grab it, out comes with it the entire box.

I just have not found the time to do it.

There's already some of those on the market... there was a link to them earlier in the thread. As it stands, they seem too small to store a gun in - the form factor of an outlet is a little limiting. On the other hand... if you could find a way to have a larger panel of wall open, maybe just use the outlet as cover, not as the actual door, you could make a pretty significant hiding place.

cut through the walls and build a shelf inside, put the drywall back on it and paint a picture on it and frame it with a cheap frame to hide the opening. when you need it just pull the frame and retreive your firearm.

Only one gun needed if you carry it all the time.

pgroup_7001_image_400x600__shadow.jpg

Sweet now I can OC at the beach!!:s0155:

Right now I sleep with one under my pillow. (Genius here, lmao.)
Thanks for any ideas. :s0155:

I would just put it on my night stand instead of just heving it under your pillow ... Works better:s0155::s0155: I keep my Glock 22 with a 30 rds mag full of hollow points and a Viridian X5L greeen laser/light combo on my night stand. And I put night sights on it so I can pick it up without turning the light on.
Other than that ... good luck

Kitchen and bath cabinets have open spaces under them. You can always cut in a toe kick vent cover and attach it with magnets and leave the gun hidden there.
Besides the bathroom is a good safe room for your wife to grab the phone and hide in while she's waiting for either you or the police to show and she'll have something handy in case someone wants to try the door too :D
On the same note you can do the same thing on interior walls with air register covers down low, simply cut the sheet rock out and pop in a vent cover. ( be sure to cut with a utility knife not a saws all...there could be wires or plumbing in there )

If screwing an uncle mikes holster to the underside of a coffee table is not enough for you...

Heavy magnetic strips capable of bearing the load of your gun...

OR for the Woodworkers out there.

Joseph Soss - SOSS Invisible Hinges

Inset hinges. Make spring-loaded panels in the ceiling or in walls if you're tall enough.

Just make sure it's somewhere nobody is honestly going to place their hand in the course of navigating your house.

Edit- I was always jealous of (the tv show) Webster as a kid ... I want those secret passages too!

There are a few general rules about hiding stuff in your house, guns or otherwise -

Don't use the kitchen. It's a common and obvious location.

The kids' rooms are the least likely places to be searched by a BG, and if your gun is locked and secured high off the floor, it might be acceptable to keep it there.

Diversionary safes and such are a great idea, but please resist the urge to plant a tear-gas grenade inside!;)

Sleep: Handgun under pillow, rifle under bed. Be aware of your muzzles and you are good to go imo.

Day: Handgun on belt, rifle on single point sling. I am lazy about carrying the rifle around the house but a lot of the mil. guys I know do this. I am confident enough in my handgun skills that I think I can use it to get to my rifle if need be. Usually it is just leaning against the sofa or my computer desk anyway.

When gone: In the big beefy safe. Burglar's gonna have a **** of a time getting that open or dragging it away.

I am not married and have no kids though, that would probably change things. Bachelor life for the win!

Diversionary safes and such are a great idea, but please resist the urge to plant a tear-gas grenade inside!;)
Oh man, I want a diversionary safe now!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top