1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Idaho vs Utah CPL

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by 223to45, Mar 12, 2015.

  1. 223to45

    223to45 Whatcom Active Member

    Likes Received:
    OK so my Dad was at a RV show and they had some seminars and one was on concealed carry.
    This guy was reeling pushing the Idaho class ( just so happens he sells a expensive class for the Idaho CPL), state all the states are going to this anyways, and WA CPL isn't accepted any where. ( of course I explain that is all BS ), he blabbed some other crap too that I can't remember, all the classes where like $1500, I told him hold up don't do anything.

    When I look up everything, he should do just fine with Utah and WA.

    One question I have is , will the Utah training work for Oregon non Resident, from what I see that Oregon requires it should.

    I could find any reason why a Idaho CPL would be preferred over a Utah.
  2. PiratePast40

    PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Oregon doesn't accept any out of state concealed permit. The training may be acceptable when you apply for a non residence license, but you need to convince a local sheriff that you do business in Oregon in order to be considered for an Oregon CHL.
  3. solv3nt

    solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    I have Oregon and Washington, and I get all but a few states if I had Oregon and Utah. IMHO, Utah is overrated, the required training is $100+, and you only gain two states that I really care about had I done the Utah/Oregon combination, Minnesota and N. Dakota (I think, I don't recall off the top of my head).

    If you have travel to Oregon frequently, or semi-frequently, I would get an Oregon permit, as Oregon doesn't have reciprocity with any other state. I would avoid Multnomah county, as they're a pain to deal with.
  4. Lilhigbee

    Lilhigbee SE Portland Visit Target550.com Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

    Likes Received:
    Depends on the Sheriff. Grant county issues them readily, others not so much. Multnomah requires a letter stating a compelling reason why you want it, does not need to be business-related, though that is probably one of the better reasons.
    Am I correct in stating that Oregon only issues to residents of counties contiguous with its borders??
  5. SHPD_Retired

    SHPD_Retired Saint Helens Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Come to Columbia County to get your permit. It is easier than dealing with the bigger counties. If you do not know where Columbia County is it is northwest of Portland. Saint Helens and Scappoose are the two biggest cities.
  6. solv3nt

    solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    What ^^ said.
  7. ZA_Survivalist

    ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

    Likes Received:
    I heard Florida has one or two more states that recognize than Utahs does
    mjbskwim likes this.
  8. oknow

    oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    etrain16 and Dyjital like this.
  9. defending fathers 1787

    defending fathers 1787 SW Washington Member

    Likes Received:
    There are a couple of CCW apps out there that take into account non-resident and resident permits.
    It changes the reciprocity outcome in places like SC. CO, NH and FL. etc.
    Two people could have the same state permits but with different reciprocity due to their residency.
    Idaho Enhanced only helps in Nevada for most people on the West coast if they have a Utah or AZ
  10. GeorgeMasonFan

    GeorgeMasonFan Klamath County New Member

    Likes Received:
    I am assisting my brother in getting his non-res here in Klamath county. It appears that it will be straight forward and they are willing to do it. Our new sheriff is significantly better than the last one...
    CWOUSCG likes this.
  11. deen_ad

    deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    < Why they don't have school shootings in Israel.
    Notice the long gun slung over the teachers shoulder?

    WA doesn't recognize FL anymore since FL added 18 yr olds to their license.

    I have WA, OR and Utah since we planned to travel extensively in our motorhome. The Utah cost me about $150 total.

    NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
    "Defender of Freedom" award
    NRA Golden Eagle member
    WAC member
    Vancouver Rifle and Pistol Club member

    "Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"
    ZA_Survivalist likes this.