JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
wonder what will happen in this case??

This undated photo provided by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife service shows a Grizzly Bear. (AP Photo/U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service)
BONNERS FERRY, Idaho (AP) — A grizzly bear killed a hunter in a remote part of Idaho and then was fatally shot by the hunter's partner, authorities said Friday.

Officials from the Boundary County Sheriff's Office, Idaho Fish and Game Department and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service responded to the attack, which occurred about 10 a.m. at Buckhorn Mountain near the Montana border.

The hunter who was killed was not a resident of Boundary County, but his name is being withheld pending family notification.

Other details were not immediately available.

Several hunting seasons are open in the Boundary County region, including black bear, mountain lion, wolf, moose and deer.

Idaho Fish and Game Department hunting regulations warn hunters that grizzlies can be encountered in that region. Grizzly bears are listed as threatened in the Lower 48 states.

The fatal attack comes as Idaho's congressional delegation has proposed to amend the Endangered Species Act to clarify that it is legal to shoot a grizzly bear in self-defense or in defense of another person.

The legislation was in response to the case of a northern Idaho man who shot and killed a grizzly cub in May after it and two others wandered onto his property.

Jeremy Hill, 33, was charged with a federal crime of killing a federally protected species, but the case was dropped last week and he paid a $1,000 fine for a noncriminal infraction.

___

The charges were dropped and he paid a $1000 for violating the ESA.

<broken link removed>

If the charges were dropped, I'd tell them to stuff that $1,000 fine straight up and through their sphincter and park it right next to the gerbil!!

"Anyone who observes or hears of a grizzly bear near campsites or residences must immediately contact fish and wildlife officials. Federal, State and Tribal officials are mandated to act immediately and effectively to remove grizzly bears from populated areas.

These regulations are designed to ensure citizen safety and protect the grizzly bear, which has been designated a Threatened Species under the Endangered Species Act."

Hmmm a Federal run "911"... HELP a Grizzly is eating my kid!!... We'll be right there, we just have to cross the glacier!!

Even sicker is that if the government loses, they can appeal and the family has to defend that. Our government has unlimited money, uh, wait, I heard...deficits, uh...

How many reasons do I need to hate the government?

They can't appeal a not guilty verdict. Trying to find a jury in Northern rural Montana that will convict this guy will be impossible if the facts in the article are accurate.

If it was me, I would not pay the fine and go to court to not pay it. Screw them!

If it was just an administrative fine, I don't blame him. No criminal record and no loss of rights for $1,000 vs. putting your entire life savings on the line so you can get a couple of hung juries and the DoJ gives up. It's not right, but I don't blame him a bit for the decision. It was the rational one, however distasteful.

If it was just an administrative fine, I don't blame him. No criminal record and no loss of rights for $1,000 vs. putting your entire life savings on the line so you can get a couple of hung juries and the DoJ gives up. It's not right, but I don't blame him a bit for the decision. It was the rational one, however distasteful.

I thought my post would not be interpreted right. What I was trying to say is, go with what happened and fight the fine they gave him for a justifiable shoot. Would only be one court appearance about the fine and it's over.

Let's read the article again. It's sketchy, but it's clear that he settled out of court as did the govt. He was facing criminal prosecution and fair or not, he agreed to pay a $1,000 fine instead of being prosecuted. $1,000 is cheap to get out of prosecution for a crime, especially against the federal govt. That much money won't buy you 5 hours of an attorney's time today.

Again, I agree it's not fair, but I think he was smart to "pick your fights" and "cut your losses." He now has no record, and can get on with his life. The freedom to get on with your life instead of being embroiled in defending against a crime for a couple of years, and the cost saving is well worth it.

IMHO he was screwed, but he opted for the best option. I would do it.

BTW, what ever happened to the beotch who charged him in the first place? I'll bet someone grabbed her by the skirts and got her out of the way so that the govt. could save face.

For anyone who's never been involved in a lawsuit, even if you win it's a beotch. It consumes you for a year or two, and if it's appealed to the appellate courts it can take five years. Even if some group steps up and pays your legal fees, your happiness and peace of mind is gone for that time. It's all-consuming, and you never stop worrying about the outcome.

Pay the grand, be be done with it, and go fishing.

For anyone who's never been involved in a lawsuit, even if you win it's a beotch. It consumes you for a year or two, and if it's appealed to the appellate courts it can take five years. Even if some group steps up and pays your legal fees, your happiness and peace of mind is gone for that time. It's all-consuming, and you never stop worrying about the outcome.

Pay the grand, be be done with it, and go fishing.

And tell your story, far and wide, to everyone who will listen, and ask them to think about it when they vote. Do we really want a government that can and does do this to our citizens?

And tell your story, far and wide, to everyone who will listen, and ask them to think about it when they vote. Do we really want a government that can and does do this to our citizens?

Of course we don't. What happened to that guy was horrible. Count me as one who thinks our government is completely out of control. Still, like it or not he had his *** in a wringer, and under the circumstances, he made the right choice.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top