Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Idaho man faces trial for killing grizzly, claims self-defense

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Dave Workman, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Dave Workman

Dave Workman Western Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

2. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Hopefully he'll get 12 hunting guides for jurors
    What should he have done? wait till the bear got a child,then shoot? Or just hit it with a broom?

I bet Olsen wouldn't have done it any different had it been her children at risk

3. lonegunman

lonegunman Eastern Washington Active Member

He should insist on the trial being held in his hometown. Other than that, he is safe with a jury of anyone living in Idaho.

Grizzly in yard, chasing screaming kids into house,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,does this sound like random poaching in the forest? Only to an Obamacrat.

4. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

Being a criminal case the prosecutor has to win over 100% of the jury "beyond a reasonable doubt" which is the highest standard of proof. I'm betting that doesn't happen. I hope not.

5. R-Rizzo

R-Rizzo NW Oregon Member

Hopefully not... It would be nice to think that they only have to convince 1 out of 12... That's a 91.7 Pecent Chance... Then on the other hand... It's sad that there is any chance at all.... It's sad that a person doesn't have the ultimate un-alienable right to self-defense from harm, whether it come from man or animal.

6. Gunner3456

The defense only has to win over 1 juror. The prosecutor has to win over 100% of the jury - all 12.

7. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

'Coming Forward' may be a memory for anyone with a similar situation in the future after this.

Grunwald, mjbskwim, iusmc2002 and 3 others like this.
  8. Gunner3456

The article says he has been charged in federal (not state) court but there's no big difference. He still gets a jury of his peers and each state has several federal lower courts. It still takes 100% of the jury to convict.

A good attorney will file several motions for dismissal including of course self defense and defense of livestock. The sick part is that this family has to hire an attorney, and they don't get re-imbursed for that if they win.

Even sicker is that if the government loses, they can appeal and the family has to defend that. Our government has unlimited money, uh, wait, I heard...deficits, uh...

How many reasons do I need to hate the government?

9. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

Remember, Randy Weaver was found to be not guilty, by a jury of his peers. The only thing he was convicted of was failure to appear.

Same thing here. A jury of his peers will be sitting in the box.

Personally, I think the prosecutor is abusing his office. Sure, it is a technical violation of the law, shooting a grizzly bear. But who among us would wait to see whether the bear was going to "really" hurt our kids or was just doing a bluff charge? I guess the trick here is "Shoot, shovel, shut up"....is that what the Guberment wants us to do, be dishonest?

10. Gunner3456

Well, prosecutor Ms Wendy Olson, an Obama appointee, can shove it up her ***. She's going to lose this one. She'll never 12 Idaho residents who will vote unanimously to convict.

100 years ago, the good citizens would have had a different way of dealing with her.

I just hope the family gets enough donations to cover their legal expenses.

11. captqc

captqc Tigard Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Three words: Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up.

mjbskwim, sandman1212, Garg and 9 others like this.
  12. Gunner3456

The prosecutor, LOL? :)

13. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

Animals are just property anyway........................... Thats what I have been told at least.

14. Dave Workman

Yeah, but the animals were told that humans are just food, anyway, and many of us taste like beer.
    :paranoid:

15. Dave Workman

16. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

If I taste like beer I would be dead...................

17. Garg

Garg east of portland metro Hold my beer..... watch this Bronze Supporter

There fixed it for ya :laugh:

I agree, this prosecutor is an idiot. Plus 10,000 on the donations to cover Hill's defense. Too bad you cannot sue the fed.

18. coyote223

coyote223 NW Oregon Stamp Collector,,,

Let's hope they can find 12 jurors that possess some common sense. That trait is kinda scarce nowadays,,,:paranoid:

But yeah, SSS would have been a whole lot less trouble. :)

19. Gunner3456

He needs only one holdout. The prosecution needs unanimous.

20. Gunner3456

The more I think about it, the more I think it's possible the charges might be dropped. It's a very unpopular charge, and the prosecutor may just figure out that at least one Idahoan will probably vote not guilty and she loses. Let's see if she's dumb enough to follow through.