JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My father owned a place at Lake Merwin Camper's Hideaway. Lake Merwin is a great place, beautiful part of the state - we loved going up there. The year he sold his property (one of the few that had a wide open view of the lake), was after the 2008 winter that dumped a ton of snow all over the place. He couldn't even get to his place for quite a while because roads weren't being cleared and where they were, it left huge drifts. When he finally got to his place, there was extensive damage to the structure from the sheer weight of the ice and snow. After fixing it back up, he decided to let the place go because it was too much to care for.

Yeah, oknow told me of that place but I'd worry if my balance got disrupted (like it does sometimes :s0005:) and I may fall down, keep rolling & bouncing all the way to the lake.... It's steep I heard...:s0039::s0039::s0039:
Momma wants someplace within 30 minuets to a hospital or clinic (she thinks that we're getting up in the years)...:s0141::s0141::s0141: It would be our last homestead type of deal.

This is nothing compared to the "Silver Thaw" of 1964. In Corvallis we saw 4" of ice on the street. From the corner of our house at the Corner of 27th and Lincoln we had an 8' tall icicle (4' wide at the eave of our house to 4" wide where it spreaded out on the lawn). This was December 12th.

This current spate of cold weather pales in comparison.

How's that "climate change" working for you?

If it makes you feel any better, there's more ice on its way....;)

I'm special old! My aunt, grandfather and myself nearly drowned, in 1964, trying to haul bales of alfalfa to the neighbor's horse herd, which that azz hat abandoned! I'm talking about a drift log shifting and dropping us into 12' of Molalla river flood waters, with a half bale of hay strapped to our backs! My aunt and I were able to strip the bales off and regain the surface! Then I went back under and lifted grandpa up by the legs and aunt Lil got the bale off him, so we could regain the log. So, even though we failed to get feed to the horses, we were able to get the volunteer fire dept and other volunteers to get them out of the pasture and across the road to grandpa's higher ground! Interesting experience, I was 15, but big and strong for my age, I was generally terrified and specifically terrified that my grandfather, who was elderly, would drown if I couldn't lift him high enough!

Last Edited:
I'm thinking now I'm old enough to be one of those Old Guys that say "it was worse back then..."

When I was a kid in Montana, they lost money on snow days so the schools never shut down. One day when it was 20 below, my dad could not get any traction with the 4x4 on the solid ice on the street. so he proceeded to drive me to school by driving across front lawns where he could get traction on the snow. The school that day lost power and heat. I remember not being able to see to get into my locker and trying to do math class without being able to see the black board. They finally sent us home at noon since it was below freezing in the school. We had to skip Easter break to make up that day so the school would not loose money.

Is it raining for anyone? my work just got closed and it is dry here in Portland.

It is drizzling here on Chehalem - 29-30*

That is the forecast - freezing drizzle increasing through the day

I could make it into work, but I don't want to deal with it on my way home tonight and I am still not over my severe cold from last week - I went in yesterday and coughed a lot, probably gave it to everybody. :(

So I am working from home today.

Oregon City...It's raining, and freezing. Sticking to the car. The weather site I use says it's 29-degrees in Oregon City, but I'm a couple degrees less where I'm at. But...The forecast has changed again. From now on, it's not supposed to be below freezing. Let's see who wins...The weatherman or mother nature.

P.S.
Hold those horses! This is funny. I just looked again at my weather site. Just that fast, they've changed their forecast again. Not only does the forecast match the current conditions, but it now, AGAIN says I will be below freezing til this afternoon. Somebody must have stuck their head out the window to make sure the forecast matched the real weather.

Last Edited:
It is alternating between drizzling and a full rain here. But it is nothing major and certainly not the monsoon-like downpours we have been getting as of late.

We're able to take those few days of dry to replace some thoroughly worthless drainage pipes with a 24" one and repair the road up to the acreage. So thank goodness for the timing.

I've got to drive Wifey to a 10:00 am work meeting near 224 and 205. We're in NE just south of the airport. :( I wish it would poo or get of the pot! I'm planing on going to the gun club for two hours while she "meets". I do NOT want to be stuck way down there if the ice comes in!

So if anybody want to keep me abreast of the situation down that-a-way i'd appreciate it!

I've got to drive Wifey to a 10:00 am work meeting near 224 and 205. We're in NE just south of the airport. :( I wish it would poo or get of the pot! I'm planing on going to the gun club for two hours while she "meets". I do NOT want to be stuck way down there if the ice comes in!

So if anybody want to keep me abreast of the situation down that-a-way i'd appreciate it!
Well if you see the news team out and about to film the storm ,you can bet it will never come about

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top