JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The XS Big Dot's use the same theory as the Heinie Straight Eights. Dot the "i" and get on with the problem at hand. Very quick...simplicity at its finest!

As for SA quality, ok at best. Just not consistent.

My biggest concern is for their barrel fit, specifically timing. Have come across quite a few that the fit was good enough not to give obvious signs, but the timing was off just enough. At about the 1-2K round count mark, the implosion would occur.

barrel.jpg

barrel.jpg

I've noticed that more than a few are of Philippine origin.

Brazilian ?

The XS Big Dot's use the same theory as the Heinie Straight Eights. Dot the "i" and get on with the problem at hand. Very quick...simplicity at its finest!

My personal favorite is the XS medium size dot with a plain .140 10-8 rear.

I disagree on the straight 8's Vs 3 dot though. I have the Heinies on a number of guns, and a variety of 3 dots on others, ( all green & green/yellow, brighter front, dimmer rear ) but I find I align 3 dots quicker than I do the 8's. I believe that's down to training familiarity rather than any inherent benefit of each type.
I do a fair bit of work training with visual acuity in the sports field and I'd be interested in any published research indicating that the eye has difficulty aligning 3 dots.

There was a discussion on another forum some years back about eyes and aligning thing vertically vs horizontally. I'm diggin' for it, will post it when I find it.

The eye can only focus on one thing at a time. All one needs to focus on are two areas...the target and the front sight.

When shifting focus from front sight to target, its done vertically, not horizontally. With three dots, the eye must momentarily work horizontally to align the dots.

With the XS, Straight Eight type..or dot on top of dot, or dot on the i...all one needs is a simple reference as to windage or alignment of the gun when its dark. We're not talking about precision shooting in the dark.

Most is choice and training...and one could not know how little I care what one uses. Fact of the matter...simplicity and basics will win in a gun fight.

RIA or Springfield milspec.

I don't like any of the brands on your list, I sold my Springfield Loaded because of all the problems with it, I don't like those idiotic bumps on grip safeties, there is no need for glowing night sights outside of a combat zone and full length guide rods are fishing lures.

An RIA milspec fits your budget and has everything you need.
I fully agree on all counts!

I have two RIAs in nickle and an American Classic II by Metro Arms in stainless...all work great and I really like them.
I can pick off clays at 40-50 yards off hand with the ACII....good enough for me.
The ACII has grips that look like snakeskin and it set me back $550 total.
The other were $399 each.

I have owned a 1976 colt gold cup since new it was an ohh ahh pistol in its day[though not a whole lot better than my wwII surplus Ithica parts gun that I tightened up the slide and put a tighter barrel bushing and trigger in]. My Dan Wesson Pointman is twice the pistol as compared to the Gold cup and is almost if not equal to the Wilson combat. If you can't tell the difference it won't matter.

I have owned a 1976 colt gold cup since new it was an ohh ahh pistol in its day[though not a whole lot better than my wwII surplus Ithica parts gun that I tightened up the slide and put a tighter barrel bushing and trigger in]. My Dan Wesson Pointman is twice the pistol and is almost if not equal to the Wilson combat. If you can't tell the difference it won't matter.
I've also had my Gold Cup since '76. Got it used for $200 and don't know the Born On Date.

I've won a few trophies and plaques with it back in the 80s and 90s.....I can hit the X and 10 ring on a B27 target at 50 yards consistently....good enough for govt. work.

I kick myself every time I think of all the Colt 1911, Series 70 that I let go by when Payless closed up in Oregon.

They sold all their guns, ammo, reloading equip. and accessories under cost....just to clear the stores.
Stock Colt 1911 .45s were selling for $210...Blued S&W revolvers, in all calibers, for about $185.

I kick myself every time I think of all the Colt 1911, Series 70 that I let go by when Payless closed up in Oregon.

They sold all their guns, ammo, reloading equip. and accessories under cost....just to clear the stores.
Stock Colt 1911 .45s were selling for $210...Blued S&W revolvers, in all calibers, for about $185.

I remember this... I bought all of the .41 Mag ammo they had at quite the discount.

I remember this... I bought all of the .41 Mag ammo they had at quite the discount.

Yep, those were a few of the good old days. I already had several guns and figured I didn't need any more, so I just bought some ammo and reloading supplies. Powder was like $6 lb. and primers .99 box.
Like most other things, real estate in Calif., '71 Cuda, etc., a Crystal Ball sure would have come in handy.
But in retrospect, one of my X wives would have got a lot of it anyway. I was just lucky to be able to hide what I did.;)

I've also had my Gold Cup since '76. Got it used for $200 and don't know the Born On Date.

I've won a few trophies and plaques with it back in the 80s and 90s.....I can hit the X and 10 ring on a B27 target at 50 yards consistently....good enough for govt. work.
I think mine was $350.ish new though I don't remember the 70s well anymore.:rolleyes: the Gold Cup is nice but the Dan Wesson is twice as nice.

This I don't remember. I don't even recall Payless having firearms here in Salem. GI Joes yes, Firearms, not so much.

Douglas County is more rural and most people own guns here....maybe that's why.
We had 3 of them in this town......I never could figure out why.
They all carried guns ammo and accessories, including reloading supplies.
But one carried a lot more product......and when they started selling off, that store got all the gun stuff to discount and sell.
I remember it like it was yesterday.
They had 3, 1911 Series 70, for $210
A S&W Model 15, S&W Model 27, S&W Model17 and an S&W 586.....all for $185.

There was a lot more according to the clerk, but I found out about the discounts on the 5th day of the sale.....and that's all that was left gun wise.....it went for over a week before they sold everything out.

Love the 1911, have owned many over the decades, and carried several different 1911s over the years. I know I owe my upright and breathing status today to a certain little Colt Officers ACP. Still enjoy shooting a few different 1911s at the range or in a match from time-to-time. There are still a few 1911s I'd like to have.

All that being said, I'll never choose to carry another 1911. For a carry piece there are so many different and better options out there I don't see the wisdom in choosing a 1911 as a carry piece.

A few words of wisdom from a guy who knows absolutely nothing about the 1911...

Larry Vickers from his 1911 Operator's Class said:
We live in a Glock world.

...if you treat your gun the way you treat your lawn mower, buy a Glock.

I know Larry likes his Glocks, but you could put XD (XDM), M&P or whatever in there... point being 1911s as we have them today are inferior to many other handguns available on the same store shelves. They're cool, a lot of fun to shoot and hold a dear place in any patriot's heart, just not the best choice for carry or something to stake your life on.

Love the 1911, have owned many over the decades, and carried several different 1911s over the years. I know I owe my upright and breathing status today to a certain little Colt Officers ACP. Still enjoy shooting a few different 1911s at the range or in a match from time-to-time. There are still a few 1911s I'd like to have.

All that being said, I'll never choose to carry another 1911. For a carry piece there are so many different and better options out there I don't see the wisdom in choosing a 1911 as a carry piece.

I know Larry likes his Glocks, but you could put XD (XDM), M&P or whatever in there... point being 1911s as we have them today are inferior to many other handguns available on the same store shelves. They're cool, a lot of fun to shoot and hold a dear place in any patriot's heart, just not the best choice for carry or something to stake your life on.
I read an article about a year or two ago, on how many police agencies have gone back to the 1911....for a variety of reasons.
And I know many military guys who prefer it over the Beretta....mostly because of the caliber.
However, as much as I like the 1911, I've been a Glock guy since I bought mine in early 1986....lightweight, simple, tremendous accuracy out of the box and 7,000+ rounds later...w/o a burp.

I was going to spend a lot for my 1st 1911 but gun shop owner told me to save my money and showed me the new ruger sr1911 for $650. By far the best gun I have at a pretty good price.:s0155:

Hmmm. This part has me confused. Some guy that doesn't know anything about the 1911 and his advice is supposed to be good? If he knows nothing about a substantial player in a given field, how can his advice be considered valid? Now, if he is experienced with one and prefers another, his advice may be worth listening to.

Hmmm. This part has me confused. Some guy that doesn't know anything about the 1911 and his advice is supposed to be good? If he knows nothing about a substantial player in a given field, how can his advice be considered valid? Now, if he is experienced with one and prefers another, his advice may be worth listening to.
So much of great stuff of a conversation is lost on the interweb.

The 'lead in' about Larry Vickers is said in jest... figured anyone talking about 1911s would at least know who he is if not a lot more about him, his background, etc.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top