JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I love 1911's, as far as a carry gun is concerned, I have carried the Ultra Compact Springfield, Officers Colt, Commander Colt, but my favorite has been and still is the P-10 Para Ordinance, something to be said for having 11 Hydra Shock's at your beck and call in a package about the size of a Glock 19. Just my opinion of course.

for a 1911 it depends on what you wish to spend. a 500$ Rai will shoot about as good as a 900$ springer but it will lack the fit and finish. the 900$ springer will shoot close to the 1,000$ colt which will shoot close to the 1600$ Dan Wesson, which will shoot close to the 2,000$ dollar Ed Brown which is close to the 3,000 Wilsons. What your paying for is fit and finish as well as the name. The fit and finish on my Dan Wesson is heads above it on my Springfield and very close to a Ed brown. Is the cost worth it? to me it is.
I apologize for this in advance but this bothers me every time I see it. The $ comes BEFORE the number - $500 not afterwards.

I have a RIA Compact Tactical and Sig Ultra Compact. I like both and each carries well.

Frankly, I'm most impressed with the RIA - fantastic performance for > $500. Though it's no where near as pretty as the two tone sig:)

I have always been a 1911 snob owning nothing but Colts but I pick up a new Auto-Ordnance 1911 on a gun auction site for under $400 and so far it's been a great pistol. I have about 450 rounds threw it and only 1 round failed to feed.

I have a Ruger 5" SR1911 and my girlfriend has a Kimber Eclipse Ultra and a Kimber Eclipse Target. The Ruger cost $629, the Kimbers each a pinch over $1100. All are attractive, well-made guns, but the Ruger has a better trigger and is more accurate than either Kimber. The Ruger has never failed to feed whatever I put in it, but both Kimbers occasionally have FTFs. The Ruger is all American made, which is important to me, and the Kimbers may be as well, but they don't advertise it.

+1 for the Ruger.

I (we) have Colt, Dan Wesson and Ruger 1911s. The Colt and Dan Wesson are fantastic guns, but are a bit spendy. The Ruger shoots every bit as well as the others. Decent sights & trigger and is accurate. For the price, the Ruger is hard to beat.

I apologize for this in advance but this bothers me every time I see it. The $ comes BEFORE the number - $500 not afterwards.

I paid 900$ for my Colt 1991 and 670$ for my Ruger Commander. The Colt is going to Wilson Combat for a full overhaul and new bi-tone finish to the tune of 1070$. Sorry, couldn't help myself :s0112:

Solv3nt, I agree it's the grip, that's hard to conceal.

I have the Kimber Eclipse Custom II in 10mm. Works fine.
Had a Colt Delta Elite. Worked fine.
Friend has a RIA Commander. Works fine.

Unless money's no object? Figure out what "features" you want, before you buy. Modifications get real spendy, real fast!

ETA: Somebody said Kimber uses a Series 80 disconnect. It actually uses a Swartze (sp?) disconnect, activated by the grip safety.

Solv3nt, I agree it's the grip, that's hard to conceal.

I have the Kimber Eclipse Custom II in 10mm. Works fine.
Had a Colt Delta Elite. Worked fine.
Friend has a RIA Commander. Works fine.

Unless money's no object? Figure out what "features" you want, before you buy. Modifications get real spendy, real fast!

ETA: Somebody said Kimber uses a Series 80 disconnect. It actually uses a Swartze (sp?) disconnect, activated by the grip safety.

I actually went the other way around. I wanted to start with a Colt G.I. and figure out what I wanted after I shot a few rounds. I decided that I like the high grip, so an extended beavertail is necessary. I want a better trigger, so a trigger job. I want a little better accuracy, so they're going to fit the frame to the slide, and fit a new bushing. I also want this to be a one-off, so a new finish is necessary. Could I have gotten this for much cheaper in a different gun? Yes, but this is what I wanted.

We all want what we want, it the nature of the gun beast in us. ZZZZZZ.jpg

ZZZZZZ.jpg

Yes it is indeed my McCormick, and like most all possessions, it has a price tag, and generally that price tag is directly related to what a guy/gal is willing to let it go at. In my case that willingness would land around $1500, and since it would leave my possession, I would have no need for the 4 or 5 McCormick 10 round mags I have for it, so they would be included in the price. I may or may not have a box for this gun, I bought it to use, and not to admire, and use it I did, and as you can see I took very good care of her. she is by far the best 1911 I have ever shot, and I have shot many over the years, and for the record, that is a Gold Cup Trophy sitting next to her, I wouldnt trade two Trophy's for my McCormick. 45ACP Colt 1911 Chip McCormick 05.jpg

45ACP Colt 1911 Chip McCormick 05.jpg

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I learned a lot. I'm only going to have one chance at a 1911 and budget really is dictating my choices. Think i'll look into the Ruger.

for a 1911 it depends on what you wish to spend. a 500$ Rai will shoot about as good as a 900$ springer but it will lack the fit and finish. the 900$ springer will shoot close to the 1,000$ colt which will shoot close to the 1600$ Dan Wesson, which will shoot close to the 2,000$ dollar Ed Brown which is close to the 3,000 Wilsons. What your paying for is fit and finish as well as the name. The fit and finish on my Dan Wesson is heads above it on my Springfield and very close to a Ed brown. Is the cost worth it? to me it is.
From my experience a Dan Wesson with no MIM parts is as close as you can get to a Wilson combat product for close to half the price.I wouldn't buy a Kimber.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top