JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Maxam does not provide data for its Commercial # 5 for the 38 special. Nor is there much available information on the Internet. Some Say its similar to this and others say it's similar to that.

I loaded five different loads yesterday using Lyman Red Dot data as a starting guide only, for 120 grain LRN bullets. The starting Red Dot load is 3.3 grains and the max is 4.6. My gun is an older S&W 357 model 66 with a 4 inch barrel. Since the starting load for the Max. # 5 is an unknown I dropped the starting load to 2.9. Using my Lee Pro Disk measure I started with the 4.0 cavity and increased the load one cavity at a time until I reached 4.1g with the 4.9 cavity. I only loaded five rounds of every different powder measurement. This was a very non technical test. I don't own a chrono (but after this test I really want one.) My main objective was to find out if the Red Dot data can be used for the Maxam powder. I believe it can but my findings were inconclusive since I never pushed it to the maximum load limit. The 2.9g load was very anemic, probably borderline squib. The 4.1 load was snappy. I can't say what the maximum load would have felt like or performed like since I didn't go that far and lack the means to test velocity. What I can say is that the powder performed very well at 4.1g. I was only shooting from 15 feet at a 1 inch round dot to test it. Even with the 2.9 load it was point of aim accurate. The first group was about two inches in diameter. Every time I increased the load the groups tightened. With the 4.1 load I pulled the first shot off the target. The other four took out the 1" dot. The target is a 5"x7" piece of hanging flat steel that swings to the rear when hit. The 4.1 load rocked it pretty good.

I think I am going to really like this powder. It was accurate and my 4.1 cases were clean. I hope I can get some more.

I use QuickLOAD, and the latest update includes Maxam CSB-1 through 5.

If you want I could post some load graphs (if "Commercial #5 is CSB-5).

Jason

The graph would be great. Everything I have read says that CSB 5 was renamed commercial #5. I called Maxam once and was told that the distributor misrepresented that the powder was going to be used in manufacture and didn't have the right to retail it or something like that. He was pretty put out. Maybe the distributor had to relabel it. American Reloading could probably verify whether it is the same. I am loading 120 g rfn 358 from a Lee mold.

1: For amusement only - DO NOT USE!

2: These loads are based on CSB-5.

csb-5-2_zps5fajr9zj.jpg

csb-5-1_zpsxwkbckha.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show