JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I must have lost my mind because I am going back and forth on whether or not to buy the new Charter Arms Pit Bull .40S&W revolver. It is their new revolver for the rimless .40S&W round that does not use moon clips.

I have always considered Charter Arms to be a low end maker for revolvers (even though I have little experience with them) and never considered buying one. Now I find myself weirdly drawn to this odd little revolver.

What does everyone else think? Have you seen this one? Do you have experience with Charter Arms? is it worth it? I can get it for under $400.

<broken link removed>

Pics courtesy of Gunblast.com

DSC02068.JPG

DSC02076.JPG

DSC02074.JPG

Why on earth would you use a 40 S&W revolver? The .38 special has VASTLY superior ballistics, as does the .357 mag.

The .40 is a compromise round caused by sissies at the FBI who couldn't be assed to learn to shoot the 10mm round, which is pretty much the best defensive caliber out there. It's worth it for a semi. But on a revolver where you're already limited on ammo, why choose a compromise round?

Why on earth would you use a 40 S&W revolver? The .38 special has VASTLY superior ballistics, as does the .357 mag.

The .40 is a compromise round caused by sissies at the FBI who couldn't be assed to learn to shoot the 10mm round, which is pretty much the best defensive caliber out there. It's worth it for a semi. But on a revolver where you're already limited on ammo, why choose a compromise round?
The .38spl has "VASTLY" superior ballistics? What numbers are you using for that comparison? In my experience the .40S&W outperforms the .38spl by quite a bit and nearly equals the .357mag for similar weight bullets. I consider the .40S&W an "in-between" option when comparing it to the .38spl and .357mag calibers.

The .38spl has "VASTLY" superior ballistics? What numbers are you using for that comparison? In my experience the .40S&W outperforms the .38spl by quite a bit and nearly equals the .357mag for similar weight bullets. I consider the .40S&W an "in-between" option when comparing it to the .38spl and .357mag calibers.

You aren't loading hot enough. The 38 sp. at +p+ gets upwards of 400 FP energy vs. the average .40 of 370ish.

Ok, the 38 perhaps not "vastly" but the .357, which is what I carry in a similar sized revolver is unquestionably superior.

"The .38 special has VASTLY superior ballistics"? What kind of crack are you smoking?

.40 is considerably more powerful than .38spl. It uses bigger, heavier bullets than .38spl does, and at higher velocities too. As far as being a "compromise round", it must do a pretty good job of that seeing as how it's the most commonly used caliber for LEO now. Don't see too many officers packing the VASTLY superior .38 anymore though, and even if you could get one that held 15rds, they still wouldn't go back to that caliber because anything a .38 can do a .40 can do better when it comes to killing people or shooting through barriers.

As far as using that caliber in a revolver, I admit it doesn't make a lot of sense as far as practicality goes, but at least you won't have to pick your brass up out of the mud if you reload for it.

There's some people that will buy something just because it's different though, and I hope charter arms sells a bunch of them. Not everything needs a purpose.

You aren't loading hot enough. The 38 sp. at +p+ gets upwards of 400 FP energy vs. the average .40 of 370ish.

Ok, the 38 perhaps not "vastly" but the .357, which is what I carry in a similar sized revolver is unquestionably superior.

Look at doubletap's .40 ammo. All of their ammo in that caliber have over 400lbs of energy, and one has just over 600 with a longer barrel. And they're not loading them to "+P+" pressures either.

I have had a Bulldog in .44 Special for many, many years and love the ugly little thing. Nothing to write home about quality wise, but it works first time every time and is surprisingly accurate. Light and handy to carry too, and for me, a natural pointer. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

I've had a Charter Arms Undercover for several years and carry it regularly and shoot it often. While it lacks the pretty finish or smooth edges of a Smith or Ruger, it has proven to be very dependable and solid. The finish will surface rust easily but a little scotchbright and keeping it lubed with teflon spray prevents that.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Charter product. I've lusted after the Crimson Carry .327 for awhile but nobody local ever has them.

MY main carry piece is a Blued Bulldog Pug in .44spl. I carry it with Winchester Silvertips and 2 speed loaders with the same. In over 20 years of carrying it I have had NO problems with it.

MY backup carry piece is a Stainless Undercover in .38spl+P (which is wonderfully accurate with 125gr slugs and slightly reduced loads so that there is less powder burning past the 2" barrel.

I have a Bulldog .44 Special. Waiting for the .45 S&W Pit Bull (if that's what they call it) version. Last I looked it wasn't on their site yet. In the meantime the Public Defender is my car gun although CT doesn't make a laser for it yet.

QUOTE=PlayboyPenguin;484808]Well, this was a short lived dream. I just found out that the charter arm guns have a plastic grip frame and trigger guard. Are you kidding me? Plastic grip frame and trigger guard?[/QUOTE]

Not either of mine. And I just bought my Undercover this summer. Where did you see this? According to Charter Arms web site it is a Stainless Steel Frame

<broken link removed>

I just read 6 on line reviews of this pistol and NO mention of a plastic trigger guard or grip frame

I just spoke to Charter Arms. The grip frame and trigger guard are aluminum. So much for this gun. I do not want an alloy. I want steel. Why they would bother making the grip frame and trigger guard out of aluminum on a gun that isn't a "light weight" is beyond me. I also find it is bit deceptive that the list the "frame" as stainless steel on the website. According to them the grip frame and trigger guard are not part of the frame.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top