JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I finally bit the bullet. I have had a bunch of ak mags I bought before the WA ban took effect and even have a KS47 build, but I have been holding out on an AK purchase for some reason. I have shot several of my buddies different AK's but never have owned one myself. With more legislation looming to ban semi auto rifles in WA, I decided it was time. I have been following PSA's GF line from inception and am now comfortable adding this to the stable.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...-and-jmac-flash-hider-border-guard-green.html.

Any advice or comments for an AK rookie?

download.jpeg-62.jpg

Wear gloves. Especially for support hand. Ak gas tube gets hot, and is in a perfect spot for oopsies. But hey, who needs a thumbprint anyway, right?
I don't wear gloves but the most I have done is 120 rounds per range visit. When I first got my AK I did several 30 round magazine dumps in a row and the other two magazines I did more relaxed drills and adjusted the distance to the target. It was a lot of fun though. :)

I finally bit the bullet. I have had a bunch of ak mags I bought before the WA ban took effect and even have a KS47 build, but I have been holding out on an AK purchase for some reason. I have shot several of my buddies different AK's but never have owned one myself. With more legislation looming to ban semi auto rifles in WA, I decided it was time. I have been following PSA's GF line from inception and am now comfortable adding this to the stable.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...-and-jmac-flash-hider-border-guard-green.html.

I love all my Ak's! Nothing like shooting the wood clad ones until they start smelling like a traeger on smoke cycle. The things just work.

The PSA Aks are solid. Love mine.
I know Washington residents get screwed with mag bans.. but PSA ak mags are incredible. Well made, steel reinforced and cost half as much as circle 10
I purchased all of their color and body variations before 114 was voted on.

Enjoy your new AK comrade.

That is a nice gun, you did really well. Congratulations.

One bit of advice I have is to use the battle setting for anything past 150 yards otherwise you will be hitting low. I zero my AKs using the 100 meter setting. The 200 meter setting is way off.

I dont know if PSA does the "battle zero" mode on the rear sight blade but if properly zeroed it works and is zeroed so 1, 2, 300m ramps work.
the battle zero setting I thought was pretty interesting to learn basically the Soviet version of MPBR zero to 300m I think . They aim for be belt buckle I read somewhere...

Get yourself an AK front sight tool as it adjusts everything, the rear blade isnt adjusted to zero the rifle.

Everything explained here, great AK bookmark.

I dont know if PSA does the "battle zero" mode on the rear sight blade but if properly zeroed it works and is zeroed so 1, 2, 300m ramps work
I've experienced this with PSA, Arsenal, James River, and others. It's possible the commercial Wolf and Tulammo is loaded light.

I've experienced this with PSA, Arsenal, James River, and others. It's possible the commercial Wolf and Tulammo is loaded light.
worked perfectly for me using Hotshot 123g FMJ.
I haven't been able to test it past 100m but did try the 200m ramp and it shot about 4" high at 100m.
I then tested the battle mode at 100m and it was about 11" high at 100m...
Pretty fun day zeroing to some soviet standard and it worked. Set it and forget it out to 250yds I think.
0528181704a_HDR_100m_cropped.jpg

My advice is to get comfy with the idea of giving your rifle a sink bath after you shoot it. Corrosive ammo happens.

The only AK in this household is chambered in 9mm with Glock mags. Some might say it's not an AK but my son, who I bought it for to shoot with me, sure loves it. Plus it's the cheapest thing to load for and shoot. Once he decides that 100 yards isn't far enough, he'll realize it's the platform holding him back and not the cartridge :D .And on that note, I'll probably get suspended for trying to be funny but was worth it!!!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top