JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No need to forgo carry, this is why we practice week hand shooting! You have been practicing right? So this shouldn't stop you! :)

Not calling you out, just making the point of week hand practice, and this is by one reason!
Hope the surgery goes well and you get back to normal as soon as possible!:)

Are you sure you can't carry? I get the not being able to pull -- but if you can't safely get the rig on you no need to risk it.

Best of luck with recovery - and do what ever physical therapy is called for.

Unfortunately, the thumb on my shooting hand will be heavily bandaged for at least the first week - I won't be able to flex my thumb, much less grip a gun, or draw from the holster.

No need to forgo carry, this is why we practice week hand shooting! You have been practicing right? So this shouldn't stop you! :)

Not calling you out, just making the point of week hand practice, and this is by one reason!
Hope the surgery goes well and you get back to normal as soon as possible!:)

Weak hand shooting, yes. Left side/hand holster for my carry gun, no.

I had a Dr visit today for my left driving finger cortisone shot. It came on about a month ago and this was the first appt I was able to get. I know the shot is just a delay as this same Dr operated on my right driving finger 7 years ago. I was happy with the results of the right operation and probably should have just had him cut today but I'll see what it is doing in 6 months. Today he reminded me when it does get cut it does need to be kept DRY as moisture is/can be a problem as it heals. etrain16 best of luck with your recovery-and do whatever physical therapy/care they recommend and you will be fine. :)

I had a Dr visit today for my left driving finger cortisone shot. It came on about a month ago and this was the first appt I was able to get. I know the shot is just a delay as this same Dr operated on my right driving finger 7 years ago. I was happy with the results of the right operation and probably should have just had him cut today but I'll see what it is doing in 6 months. Today he reminded me when it does get cut it does need to be kept DRY as moisture is/can be a problem as it heals. etrain16 best of luck with your recovery-and do whatever physical therapy/care they recommend and you will be fine. :)

Thanks. I will definitely keep it dry. I went through carpal tunnel in both hands some years back - got used to bagging my hand when getting in the shower. Not fun, but at least this recovery will be much quicker.

Well I honestly never knew that "trigger finger" was an actual medical condition, but I do now.

I've been suffering from pain in the thumb of my right hand for 2 full months now. It hurts at night, sometimes enough to wake me up. During the day it tends to hurt less, but I'm unable to use that thumb normally. When it's really bad, I can hardly bend my thumb, unless I use my other hand to flex it. If I try to flex it on it's own, it's like it gets 'caught' on something, then it finally breaks free and almost gets stuck in the new position, and flexing it straight again comes with pain - from the joint down to the joint in my hand at the base of my thumb. I tried icing it, heating it, stretching it, nothing helped.

I finally went to see my GP a the urging of Mrs. Etrain. I've been living with this as while it's been limiting me somewhat, it hasn't been unbearable, just a nuisance and somewhat uncomfortable. Doc checked me over for all of 2 minutes and diagnosed it as "trigger finger". You have got to be kidding me! I had no idea it was a real-deal medical issue. It apparently has to do with the sheath that surrounds the tendon that flexes your thumb. With trigger finger, that sheath gets swollen and compresses the tendon, keeping it from working normally. What's worse is that over time, it leads to scarring inside the sheath which can then lead to permanent damage. :eek:

So I'm on high doses of Ibuprofen for a week to see what effect it has - unfortunately it's only served to lessen the pain a bit, but the problem remains. Next step is PT. If that doesn't do it, cortisone. And if that doesn't do it, surgery. Having been through carpal tunnel surgery in both hands, I can say I don't look forward to another surgery. I'm hoping it doesn't have to come to that. At the moment, I can live with it, but if living with it leads to permanent damage, I'm going to have to head it off before that happens.

Just curious, anyone else here ever experience this? If so, how did it work out for you? Any non-surgical remedies that you can recommend?

Etrain,

Before going off and having surgery, I'd like to recommend trying CBD oil. CBD has a wealth of information online about what it is, so I'm ot going to dwell on that. You can look it up yourself.

Anyway, I started taking CBD to see if it would help with some chronic pain issues. While it did help with that, it had a more dramatic effect on a hand tremor issue I was dealing with. From the first dose, the tremors ceased. It may help for your condition as well.

The brand I use is calle IRIE. They have several formulas, and the one I use is the IRIE Pain blend. It comes in a dropper bottle, and the dosage is one drop per ten pounds of body weight.

There is no THC in CBD oil so no worries about getting high or flunking a drug test. You can find the stuff online or at a Marijuana dispensary.

Good luck!

Etrain,

Before going off and having surgery, I'd like to recommend trying CBD oil. CBD has a wealth of information online about what it is, so I'm ot going to dwell on that. You can look it up yourself.

Anyway, I started taking CBD to see if it would help with some chronic pain issues. While it did help with that, it had a more dramatic effect on a hand tremor issue I was dealing with. From the first dose, the tremors ceased. It may help for your condition as well.

The brand I use is calle IRIE. They have several formulas, and the one I use is the IRIE Pain blend. It comes in a dropper bottle, and the dosage is one drop per ten pounds of body weight.

There is no THC in CBD oil so no worries about getting high or flunking a drug test. You can find the stuff online or at a Marijuana dispensary.

Good luck!

i fully believe in the CBD stuff. I haven't tried it myself because I was turned onto a tumeric and black pepper elixir and it has worked wonders my my chronic neck/shoulder issues, that the docs pretty much said to do a pain management program for. Wifey has had 5, FIVE trigger fingers repaired. If you look at the cause of trigger finger it's more of a mechanical malfunction that surgery is an easy permanent fix. I believe that there's some things that are better being cut, and the surgical trigger finger fix is probably better in this case.

@etrain16 What doc did you end up with? Are you going to be at the Providence on Glisan and 47th?

Also a true believer in the wonders of CBDs for pain management, but more importantly, the miracle it has proven for cancer treatment! Combined with THC, it is THE best thing to come along in treatment EVER! My mom is going through stage 4 ovarian cancer treatment and the road has been long and very rough! Thanks to the legality of these things in OryGun, it has quite litterly saved mom's life!!! She has gone from a 18% chance of surviving this to almost 60% all because of CBDs! @Sgt Nambu, I hope your reading this brother!:):):)

I had trigger finger release surgery on my right middle finger about ten days ago and it isn't keeping me from working, but it hurts like heck exercising it to regain normal use. It's difficult to straighten out and grip tightly. I'd had it for a couple years and two cortisone shots. I didn't realize the return to normal would take so long or be this painful.

Etrain,

Good luck!

Too late this go around. Had surgery this morning. Hand is all wrapped up now, beginning the healing process. I don't know CBD oil myself, but I'm certainly going to look into it.

i fully believe in the CBD stuff. I haven't tried it myself because I was turned onto a tumeric and black pepper elixir and it has worked wonders my my chronic neck/shoulder issues, that the docs pretty much said to do a pain management program for. Wifey has had 5, FIVE trigger fingers repaired. If you look at the cause of trigger finger it's more of a mechanical malfunction that surgery is an easy permanent fix. I believe that there's some things that are better being cut, and the surgical trigger finger fix is probably better in this case.

@etrain16 What doc did you end up with? Are you going to be at the Providence on Glisan and 47th?

Dr. Michael Van Allen. Surgery was at Oregon Surgical Specialties in Tigard. I was the first surgery this morning, out of there by 8:30am. Doc definitely thought surgery, in my case, was the best option.

Also a true believer in the wonders of CBDs for pain management, but more importantly, the miracle it has proven for cancer treatment! Combined with THC, it is THE best thing to come along in treatment EVER! My mom is going through stage 4 ovarian cancer treatment and the road has been long and very rough! Thanks to the legality of these things in OryGun, it has quite litterly saved mom's life!!! She has gone from a 18% chance of surviving this to almost 60% all because of CBDs! @Sgt Nambu, I hope your reading this brother!:):):)

If it has any hint of THC, I couldn't do it because of drug testing for my job. But if it can be had without affecting a drug test, I'd certainly be interested in it.

I wonder if it has any benefits to type 1 diabetics?

Too late this go around. Had surgery this morning. Hand is all wrapped up now, beginning the healing process. I don't know CBD oil myself, but I'm certainly going to look into it.
You can get CBD oils with out THC! One of the best is actually made from Hemp so it does not have any of the canibis or any of the naughty stuff! You should be fully able to pass a Wiz Quiz no problemo! Don't
Know any thing about type 1 diabetic treatment, but I has been shown to do a lot for other things, worth a look! I do some digging and see what i come up with!

Dr. Michael Van Allen. Surgery was at Oregon Surgical Specialties in Tigard. I was the first surgery this morning, out of there by 8:30am. Doc definitely thought surgery, in my case, was the best option.

If it has any hint of THC, I couldn't do it because of drug testing for my job. But if it can be had without affecting a drug test, I'd certainly be interested in it.

So, I got the big hand wrap/bandage off on Thursday and got approval from the Doc to start moving/bending my thumb. So, he asked me to bend my thumb for him in the office, and I couldn't. I physically couldn't get my thumb to bend. And, to my disappointment, he looked concerned. Grabbed my thumb, squeezed in the middle and told me to bend that first joint, and no matter how hard I tried, it just wouldn't move. I saw concern in his face, and he didn't exactly assure me that this was normal and it would get better.

3 days later and I still can't bend my thumb. I can bend it just fine with my other hand, but not on it's own. My concern is growing that something is wrong. I see him again on Thursday, hopefully there will be some improvement or he'll have an idea of what's going on.

Anyone else have experience with this surgery where they were unable to bend their finger over a week after the surgery? Definitely getting worried about this - this is my dominant hand, I need this thumb to work. Only about 50% grip strength right now. Hopefully it's just a delay in healing. :(

Thoughts and prayers with you brother! I am sure that it is just a thing and that god will heal you.

If there is anything you need help with let us know. We stand together as brothers.

It may be nothing, it's normal to have a bit of loss of muscle strength when things get bound up for a time. Happens when limbs are put in casts after a fracture and you things are not getting excersize. Hopefully this is the case!

Thoughts and prayers with you brother! I am sure that it is just a thing and that god will heal you.

If there is anything you need help with let us know. We stand together as brothers.

It may be nothing, it's normal to have a bit of loss of muscle strength when things get bound up for a time. Happens when limbs are put in casts after a fracture and you things are not getting excersize. Hopefully this is the case!

Thanks guys, I appreciate the positives. I'm trying to stay optimistic about this. The thought of losing any strength or mobility in my dominant hand is scary, and from time to time, my fears about that creep into the think pan!

Just keep this in the back of your mind, even a surgery is "Trauma" and the body reacts to it as such. Swelling, muscles tightening up, tendons........ the body is just reacting! Follow your doctor's recommedations for excersize and see him Thursday.

Just keep this in the back of your mind, even a surgery is "Trauma" and the body reacts to it as such. Swelling, muscles tightening up, tendons........ the body is just reacting! Follow your doctor's recommedations for excersize and see him Thursday.

I'll definitely follow the doc's directions, I've always been good about that. I don't think I'd be as concerned if he hadn't looked/acted concerned at the appointment. His concern helps fuel my doubt. That said, my thumb is definitely still swollen, and maybe it's locking things up a bit. Hopefully some good news will come this week.

Mine is still painful, but hasn't stopped me from doing anything. It does wake me up now and then though. Full extension is the worst first thing in the morning.

The procedure is basically cutting the sheath that surrounds the tendon. It's probably still swollen from the surgery and you'll need more time to get it loosened up.

Hope you get healed up and back to normal soon! As Ura-Ki said there is hemp derived CBD that is THC free. And there is quite a bit of evidence that it helps with diabetes, I'll post a link to some studies. I use the hemp derived type for COPD and it actually helps more than the prescription drugs! Its a powerful bronchodilator,vasodilator and also has an anti-inflammatory agent plus it can improve lung function. I haven't used albuterol in months. Its worth a try.
AAMC: Diabetes - Treatment with Cannabis
CBD Oil For Diabetes: The Positive Effects Of CBD on Metabolism
CBD compound in cannabis could treat diabetes, researchers suggest
Best CBD Oil Products Without THC - CBD Oil Users

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews