JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
From the BATF link above:

"...the term "Antique Firearms" means...any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade."

Bruce

No it does not! You are not reading it correctly. Not trying to start an argument here. Just want to make sure people know the facts. I've called them, talked to them. Pre-1899 guns require no paperwork for a transfer. If you think all these known dealers that sell and ship directly to customers are in violation of the law. Don't you think the BATF would step in after decades of doing that!

WELL, it is all clear as mud now! what is it they say about opinions?
Lol, right! that's why I didn't continue with it.....all I know is I have bought three pre-1899 rifles and a shotgun over the years from Gun specific auction house that all will shoot ammo still produced today and it never went through an FFL. I highly doubt those guys are going to jeopardize their FFL by breaking the law.

Currently there are over 1,300 gun listed on Gun Broker that are classified as "ANTIQUES" no FFL required.
Shotguns, pistols and rifles.
Do you think all those guns would be listed if these sellers were breaking the law.
Check it out!

If it is from before 1898, and cartridges are still available, it is not an antique.

View attachment 1108883
The confusion here is that the 1934 NFA and the 1968 GCA have different definitions of antique.

The definition you provided applies to NFA firearms only- machine guns, short-barrel shotguns, etc.

If it's just a regular rifle, pistol, or shotgun, then the GCA definition applies, and everything made before 1899 is an antique, regardless of what it shoots.

On another note, apparently Washington state copied the federal wording for NFA antiques rather that the GCA when writing their bgc law, and now all regular firearms are subject to the stricter NFA definition in that state.

Seems to me like just another way of sticking it to gun owners, much like Oregon's refusal to include reasonable exceptions to the BGC law here. Politics is about scoring points and sticking it to your opponents, rather than actually accomplishing anything reasonable.

Currently there are over 1,300 gun listed on Gun Broker that are classified as "ANTIQUES" no FFL required.
Shotguns, pistols and rifles.
Do you think all those guns would be listed if these sellers were breaking the law.
Check it out!
"Serial #81160, 8 x 58R Krag, 33" barrel with a dark, pitted bore. This is a 1911-dated, Copenhagen-marked rifle."

this is one of the listings mentioned on gun broker, I believe it was an 1889 Krag-Jorgensen, but he says it is dated 1911. what is up with that?

"Serial #81160, 8 x 58R Krag, 33" barrel with a dark, pitted bore. This is a 1911-dated, Copenhagen-marked rifle."

this is one of the listings mentioned on gun broker, I believe it was an 1889 Krag-Jorgensen, but he says it is dated 1911. what is up with that?
1889 is the year the Danish military accepted the rifle type into service, 1911 is the year the rifle was actually manufactured. So it is not an antique (the rifle in question).

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews