JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One thig to check on the Parkhurst shotgun is the barrel construction. Many of them are old enough to have damascus barrels and *might* not be safe with modern shells. Take a look at the barrel, does it look like this?
PArkhurstdamascus.jpg

One thig to check on the Parkhurst shotgun is the barrel construction. Many of them are old enough to have damascus barrels and *might* not be safe with modern shells. Take a look at the barrel, does it look like this?
View attachment 1108070
oh ya, they are definitely Damascus Barrels. look just like that, engraving and all. was a pretty nice shotgun in its day.

I just bought an 1897 SxS 12ga shotgun from a Gun auction house and they sent it straight to me, the other 2 I bought (1902 and 1920) had to go through an FFL......I truly think people are mistaken about the fact that it still uses "modern" ammo its subject to NFA laws. I could be wrong and the auction house that sells thousands of guns each year could be wrong.......

I just bought an 1897 SxS 12ga shotgun from a Gun auction house and they sent it straight to me, the other 2 I bought (1902 and 1920) had to go through an FFL......I truly think people are mistaken about the fact that it still uses "modern" ammo its subject to NFA laws. I could be wrong and the auction house that sells thousands of guns each year could be wrong.......
Interesting, indeed.

The except I clipped above came straight from the ATF website. Seems pretty clear to me, but I'm no lawyer.

The NFA and GCA have slightly different definitions of "antique" with the GCA including any firearm manufactured in or before 1898; cartridge-firing guns aren't excluded from the GCA definition unless they are a replica made after 1898 and use ammunition that the ATF considers readily available. I don't know why the NFA definition would apply unless the gun in question is an SBS or other NFA item which is definitely not the case here.

GCA definition:

If you sell them in OR the C&R guns may not be legal to transfer directly to someone with a C&R FFL thanks to SB 941, which may or may not also apply to antique guns (OR uses the GCA definition for antiques).

Thanks for the info. Nice to know.
Can't use modern ammo in spun/damascus barrels anyway, you'll unravel them real quick
Not necessarily true. The quality of construction and the possibility of corrosion in the "threads" of a Damascus barrel are what really matters. A well made gun that's been maintained properly very well may be safe to shoot with target loads. Am I saying this gun is one of those? Nope. Just replying to the blanket statement.

Thanks for the info. Nice to know.

Not necessarily true. The quality of construction and the possibility of corrosion in the "threads" of a Damascus barrel are what really matters. A well made gun that's been maintained properly very well may be safe to shoot with target loads. Am I saying this gun is one of those? Nope. Just replying to the blanket statement.
I'm just going by what gunsmiths and old farts tell me. I personally wouldn't take that chance..... would you?

Q: What constitutes "antique" under U.S. law?

A: Although your State and local laws may vary, any firearm with a receiver actually made before Jan.
1, 1899 is legally "antique." and not considered a "firearm" under Federal law. This refers to the actual
date of manufacture of the receiver/frame, not just model year or patent date marked. (For example,
only low serial number Winchester Model 1894 lever actions are actually antique.) No FFL is required
to buy or sell antiques across state lines-- they are in the same legal category as a muzzle-loading
replica. I regularly ship them right to people's doorstep via UPS, with no "paper trail." Think of it as
the last bastion of gun ownership privacy.

Q: I saw a post that said that pre-1899s are considered modern "firearms" if they are chambered to fire
ammunition that is available off-the-shelf. Is this correct?

That is absolutely incorrect. ANY gun manufactured before Jan. 1, 1899 (other than a machinegun or
other NFA category, such as a short-barreled gun) is NOT controlled in any way by Federal law.
There is NO Federal requirement for sales of these guns to be handled by Federally licensed dealers.
They may be freely bought and sold across State lines by private parties, regardless of what cartridge
they are chambered in. (However, State or local laws vary.)

I have these old rifles and a shotgun that my father-in-law left when he passed, I haven't bought or sold a gun since the rules changed and all firearms have to go through an FFL transfer. I have had these about 20 years just hanging out in the closet and have decided to peddle them. my question is, what exactly am I required to do to move these guns legally? how much information am I required to give to sell them? thanks in advance for whatever help you can offer.
1917 Eddystone mfg 1918, 8mm french LeBelle mfg 1916, savage 99 30-30 mfg 1913 and W. Parkhurst double 12 ga. mfg 1883-1894

View attachment 1107416 View attachment 1107417 View attachment 1107418
I'd be interested in this broken rifle, savage 99 30-30 mfg 1913. PM me if you'd like

I believe you can sell a firearm made before 1899 without a ffl transfer regardless of the Caliber. Merz antique firearms will ship any antique firearm right to your door in calibers (30-30, 44-40, 38-40, 45-70. …)still manufactured and he is the largest antique firearm dealer in the country and has been doing it for more than 50years. Obviously not full auto and such.

A9D72344-76AD-476B-B0FE-5E9EC26ECDB6.png

Last Edited:
If a firearm was made and can be determined to be so before 1899. In other words you have to show a source that proves it.

NO FFL IS NEEDED REGARDLESS OF CALIBER or AMMUNITION.

Don't believe it, just call the BATF and ask them!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top