JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have these old rifles and a shotgun that my father-in-law left when he passed, I haven't bought or sold a gun since the rules changed and all firearms have to go through an FFL transfer. I have had these about 20 years just hanging out in the closet and have decided to peddle them. my question is, what exactly am I required to do to move these guns legally? how much information am I required to give to sell them? thanks in advance for whatever help you can offer.
1917 Eddystone mfg 1918, 8mm french LeBelle mfg 1916, savage 99 30-30 mfg 1913 and W. Parkhurst double 12 ga. mfg 1883-1894

more beater guns 046.JPG more beater guns 048.JPG beater guns 029.JPG

You can either sell them yourself, to a private party or a dealer, or you can consign them with a licensed third party, like a pawn shop or gun shop.

I enjoy selling guns on the forum, so that's what I usually recommend. Determine what you want out of the guns and take good photos. List them for sale and wait for someone to show interest. Once you have an agreement, meet at an agreed upon FFL and complete the transfer. Currently transfers are taking a while, so having a dealer close to both parties is helpful.

You will usually need to provide an if when you complete the transfer.

Hope that helps, good luck with you sales, it's a cool looking little collection!

Last Edited:
I believe @MountainBear had a typo. You'll need to supply ID to the FFL when you transfer the gun, but that's it.
Usually the buyer and seller meet up, inspect firearm, the buyer pays for the the gun and the seller takes it into the FFL (with ID). The FFL takes it from there. Some FFLs won't hold the firearm if the background is delayed or is put into the "que" (which can take a while) and the seller will retain possession until the background check clears.

I believe @MountainBear had a typo. You'll need to supply ID to the FFL when you transfer the gun, but that's it.
Usually the buyer and seller meet up, inspect firearm, the buyer pays for the the gun and the seller takes it into the FFL (with ID). The FFL takes it from there. Some FFLs won't hold the firearm if the background is delayed or is put into the "que" (which can take a while) and the seller will retain possession until the background check clears.
thank you.

do not understand this. what's "if"? how much paperwork on my end is the question.

don't want to come off completely stupid but I have not done a firearms deal in years.
I don't believe you need to provide any paperwork. Your FFL will check to make sure the gun hasn't been reported stolen when a transfer is made. As long as it passes that check you are GTG, as far as I know.

Last Edited:
All of those are C&R eligible.

The Parkhurst is pre-1898 and doesn't need to go through a dealer.
yes I understand??? kinda about the C&R deal, C&R licensed FFL can purchase outright? the old shotgun serial # gives a span of 1883-1894 so it may or may not be exempt?

Actually, strike that on the shotgun, I missed where it's a 12ga. That makes it subject to NFA, but is still C&R eligible.
I am guessing it is a 12 ga. I stuck a 12 ga. shell in it this morning and it seemed to fit pretty well. haven't found any markings indicating what is is other than W. Parkhurst. didn't realize that 12 ga made a difference when they were made. doing an internet search left me empty as to when the first 12ga. was produced. do you know?

so, because it uses a centerfire cartridge it can not be considered an antique? never been very good with legal wording.
No, the last part of the paragraph is the most relevant...because it uses ammunition that is STILL being manufactured, it's subject to NFA laws. If it used ammunition that was NOT currently manufactured, it would be considered antique and not subject to NFA.

So finding out whether or not it's really a 12ga can be important in this case.

No, the last part of the paragraph is the most relevant...because it uses ammunition that is STILL being manufactured, it's subject to NFA laws. If it used ammunition that was NOT currently manufactured, it would be considered antique and not subject to NFA.

So finding out whether or not it's really a 12ga can be important in this case.
12 ga. shell fit nicely.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top