JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They are definitely not the same. SR4756 was discontinued several years ago, but Hodgdon still has data for it on their site: https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

It's a good powder that's somewhat similar to Unique (but not the same, and not as versatile, IMO). I use it for mid-range loads in .44 Mag mostly. I tried working up a useful load in 9mm without much success, but was able to use it in .40 S&W.

I've used a lot of older and open-can powder over the years, but you've really got to know what you're doing when you take that risk.
I'd be concerned someone could have a hodgepodge of 3031, 4064 and 4350 in a 4895 container for example. I couldn't tell the difference between any of those just by looking and pawnshops aren't exactly known for dealing with honest folk.....

A newer sealed can is one thing, but dog-eared, half empty cans are another. That doesn't mean they're bad, just a lot higher risk that they may be.

I was at an estate sale one time and bought a reloading press (a Hollywood SR, believe it or not). The guy running the sale asked if I wanted any powder. I said I'd take a look. He brings out several old containers and I looked them over carefully. The first one I could tell was a mix of at least two different types, and the next one had a brown gas wafting out of the container when opened. I asked him please, please, dump that powder out on the ground, and don't try to sell it to anyone else.

On the other hand, I've occasionally bought opened cans over the years (cheap), and after very careful inspection used them just fine. I don't recommend it because it is a risk, but it's much less of a risk when you have the experience to know what you're looking at.

I was in a pawn shop recently and noticed they had some 9mm ammo in zip-lock baggies. From behind the counter, they looked like reloads to me. Buying random reloads in baggies from a pawn shop? No thank you!

well thanks for the comments. i am a very experienced reloader, have been reloading for 50+ years. i did not buy the powder but was wondering about it. i thought it would be good for reduced rifle loads. but 4759 is the powder i can find in some older loading manuals so now i know. ????stupid questions???????????? if you don't ask you remain in the dark.

well thanks for the comments. i am a very experienced reloader, have been reloading for 50+ years. i did not buy the powder but was wondering about it. i thought it would be good for reduced rifle loads. but 4759 is the powder i can find in some older loading manuals so now i know. ????stupid questions???????????? if you don't ask you remain in the dark.
I dug around the web and found some comments by shotgunners lamenting the discontinuation of SR4756
It was may favorite 1-1/4 oz chukar and duck powder.
Some also used it in pistol.

Shotgun and Pistol powder

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top