JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
well thanks for the comments. i am a very experienced reloader, have been reloading for 50+ years. i did not buy the powder but was wondering about it. i thought it would be good for reduced rifle loads. but 4759 is the powder i can find in some older loading manuals so now i know. ????stupid questions???????????? if you don't ask you remain in the dark.
Well if you been rolling you own for fifty years then you certainly know better! I've only been doing it ten, and I think common sense had me knowing better right after I started!

yes but in todays environment with shortages of all components i sometimes wonder about what i find in different places. i know what bad powder looks like, and smells like and would not use questional powder but a sealed container might change my mind. anyway i did not buy the powder, i just wondered about it. i have never bought powder from gunshow or anywhere else not knowing its history. when i first started reloading surplus powder was sold in brown paper bag. at local gun shops. and nobody worried about it, and as far as i know nobody had a problem with said powder.

i usually know better, but sometimes make the leap anyway. where would we be if nobody ever took a chance............ still in the caves maybe?????????????

well thanks for the comments. i am a very experienced reloader, have been reloading for 50+ years. i did not buy the powder but was wondering about it. i thought it would be good for reduced rifle loads. but 4759 is the powder i can find in some older loading manuals so now i know. ????stupid questions???????????? if you don't ask you remain in the dark.
Back in the day, I seem to remember some reports of it jumping pressure in certain handgun loads. May have been reduced loads for which it ws not designed. Still, the Hodgdon data should be fine.

When DuPont was selling powder, and then for a while after IMR (but before Hodgdon bought it), they would publish a nice 8 x 10-1/2 Handloader's Guide. I have these back to the 1960's, but the latest edition I have is 10/90. These were wonderful booklets, and DuPont tried to maximize the applications of its products. Going down the handgun charts, there are a great many applications for SR 4756 including .221 Fireball, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, 44 Magnum, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .25 ACP, .380 ACP, and 9mm Luger.

There was a wonderful DuPont/IMR powder for reduced rifle charges, that one was SR 4759 but it also has been discontinued.

Well if you been rolling you own for fifty years then you certainly know better! I've only been doing it ten, and I think common sense had me knowing better right after I started!
ok mike all my years of hanloading does not make me a expert just all your years does not make you an expert. your reply "you surely know better" "common sense" the fact that i inquired about something i did'nt know about and was unsure of, that is known as "common sense" and surely you know better, i lost count of all the times i heard that in my life and how many times i have proven those people wrong. consider this, one mans :common sense is another mans adventure. check this post, OLD UNIQE POWDER.

When DuPont was selling powder, and then for a while after IMR (but before Hodgdon bought it), they would publish a nice 8 x 10-1/2 Handloader's Guide. I have these back to the 1960's, but the latest edition I have is 10/90. These were wonderful booklets, and DuPont tried to maximize the applications of its products. Going down the handgun charts, there are a great many applications for SR 4756 including .221 Fireball, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, 44 Magnum, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .25 ACP, .380 ACP, and 9mm Luger.

There was a wonderful DuPont/IMR powder for reduced rifle charges, that one was SR 4759 but it also has been discontinued.
Yes. I still have 3 lbs of 4759 it's great in .351 wsl. When it's gone I'll have to switch to AA 5744 but it doesn't work quite as well accuracy wise. 4756 was a good handgun powder. A mite faster than 4759 if I recall correctly.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top