JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
SO finally my new shooting bench is basically finished I still have 8 threaded inserts to put in (I'll do that when I take it apart to paint it since they have to go under the runners) Thinking about painting it Hammerite Green with a multi...color graffiti camo stand. I can use up a 1/2 dozen of the 30-40 cans of spray paint I got taking up space. The top fits between the two sections that are light colored and when lifted off folds up smaller. The base comes apart into 6 pieces and stacks flat. Its pretty heavy but each section is not bad at all. Should last a very long time. I'll do better photos when I get it painted and its ready to use.

Oh I should say this. All the material in this bench save a few screws and the bolts holding it together were already piled up around here. The stained parts of the top used to be the ugly cabinet doors in the kitchen when we bought the house. The piece at the back is left over Poplar from the Bathroom remodel, And the piece of 3/4" plywood at the front used to be part of a Drafting table I made years ago and ran out of room for 5 years ago. The 1/2" plywood from the base was bought to provide a base for a couple weird angled places near the dormer when I put up hardie plank. The 2X4 stuff was left over from some work building storage racks in the store room.

Its so over engineered and over built I think I could break dance on it while someone shot off the other side (and boy would that not be a pretty sight LOL)

Benchtopftview_zpseb20a104.jpg

Benchrearquarterview_zps38f2f1f9.jpg
Benchrearview_zps826a2e07.jpg

Benchftquarterview_zpsf160177c.jpg

So today I stopped by Lumber Liquidators and bought a pair of 6 gallon plastic buckets to make the seats for this bench out of. Of course they didn't come with lids so I swung by Home Depot and got a pair of their plastic bucket lids. Checked High School Pharmacy here in town and they have real tree of the Old US military Woodland pattern fabric for $10 a yard. So I'll cut a couple of plywood circles to fit into the recesses on the lids and then stack about 4 layers of Ensolite sleeping pad foam on top and cover with the camo fabric for the actual seats. Save myself some money and get them just the way I want. Compared to store bought seats. The buckets will be used to store all the sand bags and wood blocks to hold the rifles at the correct angle. One of them I think I'll store the rabbit butchering stuff. Or maybe the ammo and some other stuff. Thinking about covering the Yellow buckets with camo Duct tape but that could get expensive so I think I will try scuffing the plastic up with fine sandpaper then camo paint. This is turning into quite the project.

Benchpaintedrearview_zpsd057fa1d.jpg
Benchpaintedfrontview_zps4e121be3.jpg

Benchpaintedsideview_zpsab8d6f64.jpg

Last Edited:
Do you have a crane to move it:D That thing is nice but it is big....

once broke down into its component parts its not bad at all in fact when the base is all together I can easily lift it up and put it on top of the table saw to work on it. The runner (the parts that go from the front leg section to the rear leg section) is made of 1/2" plywood on the outside layer and 1/4" on the inside with 3/4 x 1 1/2" at the top and bottom so they are hollow but have great rigidity. The leg sections have 1/2' ply on both sides. And the legs are very dry 1 1/2" x 3" fir.

So its not to bad

OK some new photos. First one is of the top all nice and painted. I put about 4 coats of OLD Hammerite Silver spray paint I had on left over from painting the outside of our claw foot bath tub. Then I managed to get about 1 coat of Dk Green Hammerite on it before the nozzles on the cans got so plugged it wouldn't work. SO I gave up and layered 3 nice coats of Rustolieum Green I had left over from the shotgun shell ammo boxes I made a while back. As long as the Hammerite is tacky then the nice kind of paint will bound well to it. Once dry good luck getting anything to stick to it.

The hammerite gives the surface a little texture which I though might be nice on the bench top.

Shootingbenchtoppaintedwithbucketseats_zps176639f5.jpg

And now for the Bucket seats LOL. I bought 2 5 gallon buckets from Lumber Liquidaters and lids from Home depot. I then used a 3/4" thick plywood disc that would just fit into the recess in the lids (10.25" D.) I then used thick carpet tape to attach 3 layers of Blue Ensolite (an old backpack type sleeping pad) using the double sided tape between each layer keeps them lined up and they won't shift around. My son in law had made a storeage box for his 4Runner here and left some woodland camo felt so I used that to upholster the seats. They came out real nice since they just sit in the recess in the lid they rotate a little when you twist around on the seat.

And since they are only about 10.5" in D they fit into the buckets for storage along with the sand bags and wood blocks used to make a rest. I have a fancy bench rest I made as well as a Bench mount Spotting scope mount that will also fit into the buckets.

The seats are about 19" high and of course can be lowered should the need arise by simply swapping to 5 gallon buckets.

The Bench is approx. 33 1/2" tall 40" wide and 42" long with the wings being 20" long and about 10" wide.

Details on the bucket seats here.
bucketseatpaddingdetail_zps3e2d282d.jpg
bucketseatpaddingstapledetail_zps3feaa714.jpg
I used LOTS of staples so these seats will hold up for a long time. I'm actually looking at this bench as a heirloom piece of furniture for the future shooters in the family so I want it to last.

Hope you guys get some ideas on how to do your own.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads