JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm trying to see if such a thing exists and if I can make one.

Tri County has nice shooting benches. They are comprised of concrete and or metal depending on which range you are at.

Sinclair makes a bench mount for a spotting scope that I am drawing inspiration from.
1646588148856.jpeg
1646588270324.jpeg
My thoughts are similar, but instead of a vertical Rod, a horizontal one would extend forward the bench and hold the Chronograph. So one would not need to set up the Chronograph on a tripod in front of the shooting line.

Magneto speed makes something in the right direction.
1646588414883.jpeg

Combined these two in some form and I can clamp my Chronograph to the bench and not need to go in front of the firing line.

Any one know of a company that makes such a thing?

If not, I'll likely look to make one.

Thanks,

Reno

I would check out the photographic supply industry. What's happening here isn't too dissimilar from lights and mics needing to attach to booms and those to light stands.

Lot of different size and length tubing and clamp styles…something has gotta work for you.

First question would be what type of chrono., assuming standard caldwell type. Could you just take a light 1x6 the length you need and some c clamps or hand clamps to clamp to the table and set the chrono on the board? Maybe buy the sinclair type, get some longer round stock and bend it at a 90 and mount a small platform (wood/plastic) to the mount it comes with.
Is this just so you dont have to wait for a cold range before setting up or ?

@Reno, I like where your going with this. I have a Caldwells optical chrono and its been a PITA at a range... so much Ive had to go back to public land shooting to use it where it is so much simpler to adjust.
As such with my delimma Ive been looking at those magnetos specifically so I can get the MK Machining Magneto mount.... but it adds up quickly. And so, I had the same thought... why mount the Magneto speed to the gun, why not just put it on the bench. Maybe, the way to go is to mount the Magneto speed chrono to a led sled.

Im not certain an optical chrono would work so close to the muzzle?

@Reno, I like where your going with this. I have a Caldwells optical chrono and its been a PITA at a range... so much Ive had to go back to public land shooting to use it where it is so much simpler to adjust.
As such with my delimma Ive been looking at those magnetos specifically so I can get the MK Machining Magneto mount.... but it adds up quickly. And so, I had the same thought... why mount the Magneto speed to the gun, why not just put it on the bench. Maybe, the way to go is to mount the Magneto speed chrono to a led sled.

Im not certain an optical chrono would work so close to the muzzle?
Mine does. I usually have mine about 2" away from the muzzle or suppressor.

I'm thinking some steel plate 2-3' long, thick enough to hold its own. Clamped to the end of the bench and the chrono can thread into the plate. Maybe some plastic or aluminum sheets in the same shape.

That or a piece of aluminum square tubing of similar length. Put a threaded hole in it at 1/4x20 and call it a day.

I'll have to hit up the general range next weekend with a measuring tape and get an idea of what I might need to make it work.

Is this just so you dont have to wait for a cold range before setting up or ?
Yep.

Not the biggest deal when I typically go, but enough of a pain to where I wouldn't mind a simpler solution.

Mine does. I usually have mine about 2" away from the muzzle or suppressor.
2 inches or 2 feet?
and yes I know you used the inch marks but thats pretty close so just checking thats not a typo.

I do think optical chronos will work close to the muzzle but Im wondering if muzzle blast can affect the optical sensors.

I would like to know what you come up with because its been a big enough of a setup deal for me that I no longer want to use an optical chrono at my range.

Typo, meant 2 feet. I'm pretty sure it works closer.

I think they would work very close too. I think somehow bolting them to a led sled would be a solution....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top