JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Attempted thread drift .

I have a fetish for trying to create my own slang. Would anyone else be willing to join me in calling 30+ rd magazines, used in a normal sized pistol, F'ing clown shoes? 01_All_Star_Clown.jpg

Not being a jerk. Just being a goof.

clown shoes

I have irreverently said the letters LCP that Ruger uses actually stand for, "Little Clown Pistol."

Re. the thrust of the thread, I don't think I've ever owned any Pro Mag magazines. I've always attempted to get original factory-made mags for firearms that use them. I've got one MecGar 1911 9mm mag that a friend gave me, it works. I also think I've got a couple of bo-jack AR15 mags that seem to work as well as Colt.

Promag Drum for the saiga 12 work just fine, but loading them will injure the thumb knuckle if not careful. I've cut my knuckle and heard from many about this same issue on their drum mag. That's what I use MD Arms drum for the Saiga 12.
Promag sux!

Well, you do know that 99.9% of the gun companies do NOT make their own magazines, don't you? Colt uses at least five makers (look at the makers mark on the mags, and one is bare), SA doesn't, S&W doesn't, Wilson doesn't, etc., etc. Why? Magazine making is rather involved, specialized and difficult. Yeah, I know they look simple and should be idiot simple to punch out of sheet metal, but like a lot of things, they aren't. SO your "factory made" magazines are NOT made by/at the factory, they are Mec-Gar, Metalform, etc. to the companies specs.

I've only had one I've liked. A drum mag and accepted its feeding issue when low on rnds... all other standard capacities for various caliber and firearms was garbage. I avoid pro mag now..... maybe they're good enough for plenty of folks because they're still in business. Maybe I was just unlucky.
I found HEX mags 5.56/.223 in 30 rnd cap. For $11...think same store had pro mag $15 plus

Last Edited:
I was "gifted" a Promag 50rd drum mag for a Shield. It's been used less then a half dozen times. Pain in the bubblegum to load, but has been flawless. I bought a 30+rd mag pfor a M&P that I had issues with. The spring was too weak, causing feeding issues. Swapped out the spring for one from an ETS mag and it ran fine.

The 30rd ETS M&P mags work great in my pistols, but the mag catch has to be wollered out so they will actually lock in my PCC. Work fine once modded.

When I bought the Promag, I went in knowing full well, that there was going to be a high failure rate. So unless you are a thrifty SOB and like to tinker to get things working, then stay way clear of Promags....

Their Mini-14 mags have held up well, but their pistol mags are a nightmare. I can afford better stuff these days so Pro-Mag always gets a hard pass now.

Well, you do know that 99.9% of the gun companies do NOT make their own magazines, don't you? Colt uses at least five makers (look at the makers mark on the mags, and one is bare), SA doesn't, S&W doesn't, Wilson doesn't, etc., etc. Why? Magazine making is rather involved, specialized and difficult. Yeah, I know they look simple and should be idiot simple to punch out of sheet metal, but like a lot of things, they aren't. SO your "factory made" magazines are NOT made by/at the factory, they are Mec-Gar, Metalform, etc. to the companies specs.
A slight derail, but Rock Island 1911s come with ACT mags, across the street from Mec-Gar in northern Italy. Wolff sells Act Mags under their own name, so they are well vetted.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top