JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm looking for a 30-round (or greater) mag for a Sig P226.

Anyone have a recommendation on a good quality manufacturer?
I don't know how you'd get to 30rd with a quality mag for P226.

You could get to 24rd with a MecGar tube and a Springer extension...

I agree.. they tend to stink. Ive kicked the promag skunk many times. Mostly pawn shop purchases because the mags were basically free. HOWEVER, a couple Ive actually had work, and work well:

Saiga 308 10rnd mag
Mini 14 20rnd mag
One other but Im spacing at the moment.

YMMV. But I do agree.. most of their stuff is not only cheap, but poorly designed.

I had a Mini-14 for a long time and found the same. The steel 20-rounders functioned flawlessly and even looked like original factory.
Exactly! Found one at a pawn shop, looked it over.. felt stout, follower depressed and sprung back with authority. I took a chance and surprisingly it was a great $8 purchase as it feeds really really well. It is my main range mag for my mini now.

MecGar is a SIG-preferred, so those are a safe bet.
SIG does not make their own mags.
SIG contracts with 3 magazine companies to make mags for them.

1) "Made in Italy" marked SIG mags are MecGar mags.
2) "Made in USA" marked SIG mags with "C in square" rollmark are CheckMate mags.
3) "Made in USA" marked SIG mags with "J in circle" rollmark are by an undisclosed USA mfr.

I have all 3 types in the stable and they all work equally well.
MecGar has the nicest finish of these three.

Pro Tip :
There is a "wild card" mag if you own a P320 Full Size.
The mag is a 17rd Made in Italy mag.
ACT-MAG 3209
I love these mags and the finish on them is better than any of the above listed mags.
The best part is that you can often find them for around $20 each !
They sell out fast !

Last Edited:
Classic case of getting what you paid for when it comes to ProMag. Go with OEM mags or a manufacture that meets or exceeds OEM quality. As mentioned, MecGar makes OEM mags for most all the major handgun manufacturers.

I've got a couple ten round Pro Mags for my 1911. I've had no problems with them. sounds like everyone else's mileage kinda varies though. For my Jericho I went with Mec-Gar.

SIG does not make their own mags.
SIG contracts with 3 magazine companies to make mags for them.

1) "Made in Italy" marked SIG mags are MecGar mags.
2) "Made in USA" marked SIG mags with "C in square" rollmark are CheckMate mags.
3) "Made in USA" marked SIG mags with "J in circle" rollmark are by an undisclosed USA mfr.

I have all 3 types in the stable and they all work equally well.
MecGar has the nicest finish of these three.

Pro Tip :
There is a "wild card" mag if you own a P320 Full Size.
The mag is a 17rd Made in Italy mag.
ACT-MAG 3209
I love these mags and the finish on them is better than any of the above listed mags.
The best part is that you can often find them for around $20 each !
They sell out fast !

During the factory tour they made a point to walk us by pallets and pallets of MecGar mags. They've been my go-to ever since.

I do have a pair of blued steel 10 round pro-mag AR15 mags that l used for service rifle matches for five years. I put about 5,000 rounds through them without a single stoppage, of course l was loading them 2 and 8 or 5 and 5. They are heavy so they drop free quickly and they allow for a slightly longer COAL. I wouldn't trust my life on them though.

58C0A67B-8020-47BD-B883-B2E6220B298D.jpeg

I'm looking for a 30-round (or greater) mag for a Sig P226.

Anyone have a recommendation on a good quality manufacturer?

Target Sports makes one, but it's also listed at a pretty low price, so I'm afraid it will be another low quality mag that's totally unreliable.

The only 30 round mags made for the 226 are ProMags. It is not uncommon for sellers to get no name mags that are really cheap crap. I am pretty sure Target Sports does not make mags themselves.

As mentioned I hope you learned a lesson. Now as for the mags. Not all of them are bad. If they were they would have gone out of business. A LOT seems to depend on the gun. I have some guns that just work so well they will feed with CRAP mags. My Ruger P-89 is a great example. Bought it at the beginning of the great ban. Have a box full of "junk mags" for it. Some of the USA brand 20 round are so badly made they are hard to even get to lock it but, once they are in they just work. Now I have no doubt if I lined up 20 of the guns they are made to fit a lot of them would choke with these.
Back when the founder of Ruger, who was VERY anti gun, was refusing to sell his mags for his Mini 14 to us mortals I had a few Mini's. Mags were always the catch. I was able to make most after market work by taking a factory mag, and doing a lot of comparison and "adjustment". So since you are stuck with the mags you have you can take a factory mage that works, use it to do careful examination and try to work the cheap mags. One problem now might be ammo. Unless you laid it a good supply its hard to get "plinking ammo" to burn playing with the mags. When you can and you are going to practice anyway, play with the mags and you may get them to function. Assuming you can get them to work just do not trust them for anything other than "range mags". Of course avoid Pro mag. For me I avoid all after market mags now. Of course it's easy to do when there is not a panic going on :s0092:
If you have no other choice Mec-Gar have a VERY good reputation if they have, and you can find them for the pistol you are looking for.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top