JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oh, and for the record.....my scope may be cheap, but it is not a 22lr scope and has more then proved it's worth for the amount of animals I have harvested with this cheap scope.

Oh, and for the record.....my scope may be cheap, but it is not a 22lr scope and has more then proved it's worth for the amount of animals I have harvested with this cheap scope.

I was making a joke regarding the often ridiculous accuracy expectations hunters have been developing as they gravitate toward match bullets. You know, the cliche of shooting a bullet through the scope in just about every sniper movie? I was just saying that no one should expect to be able to shoot like that in the field.

I know people use match bullets to hunt. However, they aren't designed with hunting in mind. A bullet that is designed for hunting will cause more damage and expansion is far more reliable with more margin of error over a greater impact velocity range than a match bullet.

I've used the 130gr Barnes Tipped TSX in a 308 case that left a 2 inch exit would difficult through the neck. That's not a lot of meat to have such outstanding expansion.

Well I don't want a 2" hole on the other side. My cheap scope and match bullets have done there job well. It's also got to do with shot placement. Only 2 out of my 9 deer I have had to take a second shot using match grade bullets. The 168gr Sierra hollow point boat tail do exactly what I want them to do, and they fly super straight.

Last Edited:
I second the Nosler Accubond. 150 or 165 grain. I'm not crazy about the Sierra gameking bullet, but it has done the job.

Nevertheless, it always helps to try out 3 or 4 different loads -- even the Remington Core-lokt -- at paper to see what your rifle likes best. Good luck.

Used to use only core lokts for hunting before i started reloading. lately,im using 165gr nosler ballistic tips that i handload for my .308 win. Very Effective on mule deer even out to the 250-300yrd range. i use the 165gr BT for my brothers 30-06 with great results too. i also recommend the accubond.

savage 11 trophy hunter xp
accutrigger
1-10 twist
22" barrel

165gr Nos. BT OR accubond
46gr blc2
CCI LR or win LR.
2.800"
2600fps give or take.

both of these bullets shoot the same for me at 100yrd.

although i have shot these from 30-90 degree weather i have not experienced the alleged "temperature sensitivity" that others have experienced with this powder. YMMV. this load has produced 1" groups at 100yrd sometimes smaller, other times bigger. it depends on me. i am NOT a bench shooter. im a hunter and a good ol boy that goes and shoots out in the woods.

also have loaded nosler BT with 42gr H4895. havent tested enough to share input.

Last Edited:
I have some 180 grain Nosler white tip accubond projectiles and I was considering trying out those out. I had originally purchased them for my 300blackout build but figure i have enough to build some for hunting as well.
I had my doubt because it's a heavier bullet and i wasn't sure how it would do against a deer. This is where my lack of experience with hunting comes in. I like the heavier projectiles since they hold their trajectory better going through leaves/brush but I need some experienced folks to help me.
Or should I go with a 150-155 grain and build on it?

I have some Hodgdon Benchmark and CFE223 that I might work with or I can try to get my hands on some H335 or 414. Cabela's had some on the shelf a few days ago.
180s will be fine on deer.

I just picked up some Hornady 165gr SST projectiles to play with as well. Looks like I'm going to have some fun developing a few different loads. Looking for the Sierra 168gr's at all the local places...so far no luck. They have the Matchking, not the Gameking. I'll keep searching.

thanks for all of the great info folks. Over the next month I'll build up some rounds and post the results...
...currently working on some 300blackout loads as well. :D

I just picked up some Hornady 165gr SST projectiles to play with as well. Looks like I'm going to have some fun developing a few different loads. Looking for the Sierra 168gr's at all the local places...so far no luck. They have the Matchking, not the Gameking. I'll keep searching.

thanks for all of the great info folks. Over the next month I'll build up some rounds and post the results...
...currently working on some 300blackout loads as well. :D
Just FYI, the Sierra Gamekings are 165 gr in weight, the Matchkings are the 168 gr bullets in .30 cal. If you want a 168 gr hunting bullet, you might try a Nosler Ballistic Tip. They offer them in 150, 165, 168 and 180 gr weights. I have used the in the 130 gr weight in my .270WSM on a couple nice sized Montana whitetail bucks with no complaints. In my .308 Win, I prefer the Nosler 168 gr HPBT Competition bullet with 42.5 gr of IMR-4064 snd Federal 210 primer. It is in a heavy barrel 1 in 10" twist, and it shoots very well off the bench. If I were to try it on deer, I would probably opt for the 168 gr Ballistic Tip, although I expect the Sierra 165 gr HPBT Gameking would probably perform just as well.

Suggestion look closely at 165 grain bullets. I am not sure but they may have had the best trajectory for 308 given the hunting for mule deer or elk when I was looking closely some years ago--given a 200 yard shooting distance. Blacktails are tiny and thus a 150 might be a better way to go.

Right now, maybe you have a lot of time to develop a load, but I would likely go out a buy a box or two of premium 308 ammo and call it quits for the season and rely on factory and then, develop a load.

I just purchased some 308 Remington Core Lok 150 grain ammo for a Thompson Center that might be used for Blacktails within 125 yards. In my mind these are inexpensive ammo and will do the job. Maybe I'll bother working up a load, although I have the brass and equipment; some other time, but I'm looking at the low frequency of shooting the 308 vs time and expense. I'm thinking of relying on a premium box of ammo in most cases.

Maybe this will help. If you get average brank ammo off the shelf and get 1.5 - 2.0 inch groups at 200 yards why bother with something else right now? Hitting a mule deer at 200 yards within a 4 inch circle is just great!

I reload .308 for my long range rifle and AR 10 but in my hunting sako i run rem core lokt and they perform just fine. I haven't worked up a hunting load in 308 because the core lokt works well, I have many boxes of it and I don't really shoot too many rounds per year. And besides, the last 4 animals I have harvested (1 elk, 3 mulies) were with my late '80s rem 700 KS Mtn rifle in .300 win mag and the two mulies before that were with my sako AV classic in 7mm mag. Before that were a couple mulies with the .308. I carried the .308 during mulie season last year but didn't get a shot. This year, who knows but I'm thinking the .300 win mag again because it works, its incredibly accurate, and I shoot it very well and with confidence.

There may be a different opinion on predators, varmints, and rodents; I don't hunt them but I'm sure the FMJ passes through.

I shoot metal (like brake rotors[not during the dry season, ok?]), concrete, and rocks with FMJ....quite satisfied.

Legality aside, the use of FMJ ammo greatly increases the chance of a ricochet. That alone makes many people not want to use such ammo while hunting. Especially if one is hunting on private land, and there are farms, houses, and/or livestock in the area. And that is often where some of the best varmint hunting is located.

Ricochets can travel quite far.

All of my varmint hunting that I've done since moving to Oregon has been using Hornady VMAX bullets. They are so extremely fragile, that they totally break apart when hitting anything.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top