JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I hear you loud and clear.
My maximum range for attempting a shot at game would be 200 yds. I know people go further out but i'm trying to be very conservative. I can hit a man size target up to 400 yds with ease but this is different. My experience has been with paper/metal targets, they're standing still and if I miss...it's no big deal, adjust and shoot again.
Plus I definitely want to be an ethical hunter. Don't want to make the shot unless i'm sure i can hit the organs and make it a quick kill.

Well, shooting in the field is a whole different game than shooting at a target range. Do you have a good bipod or set of shooting sticks? Having good support for your shots will greatly increase your accuracy in the field.

The 308 Win certainly shoots flat enough and has enough energy to make clean kills out to 300 yards. But whatever range you set for your maximum, make certain that you can indeed perform at that range.

There are tons of variables at play on this subject. It is definitely best to shoot at a still animal.

Last Edited:
Mods - if you feel this one belongs in the ammo/reloading section please move it. I thought it might better here since it's specifically about hunting. You decide.

I'll be using 308win for my attempt at hunting deer and wanted to see what you all use as your hunting ammo. I'm mainly interested in the projectile itself since i'll probably be loading my own. But if there is a good factory round that you use, please share it.

I have generally relied on Hornady and Federal factory loaded ammo for my hunting needs over the years. Both are real quality ammo manufacturers, and I've always experienced good performance and results with both of these brands. Both in terms of accuracy, and also good bullet performance.

Hornady's 150 gr SST bullet loading, in both regular loading and in their Super Performance line, would be great for Deer. From Federal, their 150 gr Fusion loads are affordable and good ammo. If you are shooting out of a shorter barrel, the Fusion MSR loading is loaded with faster burning powder, to give higher velocity in the shorter length barrels common on AR-10's They also have a good premium load that uses a 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top