JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Mods - if you feel this one belongs in the ammo/reloading section please move it. I thought it might better here since it's specifically about hunting. You decide.

I'll be using 308win for my attempt at hunting deer and wanted to see what you all use as your hunting ammo. I'm mainly interested in the projectile itself since i'll probably be loading my own. But if there is a good factory round that you use, please share it.
I've been a target shooter my entire gun owning life so I know little about hunting rounds. I've loaded up just about every variety of .223 under the sun for punching paper or for steel targets but never thought about hitting game with it. Even developed some interesting .223 home defense rounds. :)

I would love this to be an open discussion, not just a poll style thread.
Please share as much info as possible, such as:
-bullet weight/type
-rifle
-barrel length/twist
How's the penetration? Flight path? etc.

If you've developed the load yourself, i'd love to get your input on it's ballistics. (not planning on copying it, i'll develop it myself).

I want to start developing the load now and have enough time to get out and practice with it before deer season.

Well, the .308 is a certainly one of the most versital calibers. Over in the southeast, I used commercial 180 grain with great results.

Out here, I learned to load for myself and I switched to 150 grain for big game...mosty bear; although I do have some 125s loaded up for the long shots (300+), and 110 grain for plinking.

The controlled expansion produced by the polymer tips (white and green) is tough to beat. I also like the results I get with FMJ in 150 grain.

The versatility of the .308 is also reflected in the suitable powders: Win 748 & 760, IMR 3031, 4895, & 4064, H4895, 335, & 414..... all produce great results.

Last Edited:
I have some 180 grain Nosler white tip accubond projectiles and I was considering trying out those out. I had originally purchased them for my 300blackout build but figure i have enough to build some for hunting as well.
I had my doubt because it's a heavier bullet and i wasn't sure how it would do against a deer. This is where my lack of experience with hunting comes in. I like the heavier projectiles since they hold their trajectory better going through leaves/brush but I need some experienced folks to help me.
Or should I go with a 150-155 grain and build on it?

I have some Hodgdon Benchmark and CFE223 that I might work with or I can try to get my hands on some H335 or 414. Cabela's had some on the shelf a few days ago.

The controlled expansion produced by the polymer tips (white and green) is tough to beat. I also like the results I get with FMJ in 150 grain.

How was the penetration of those FMJ's ? I don't want it landing in the next county after it penetrates the animal. :D
I've seen the surplus FMJ rounds available at pretty reasonable prices and even considered using those.

How was the penetration of those FMJ's ? I don't want it landing in the next county after it penetrates the animal. :D
I've seen the surplus FMJ rounds available at pretty reasonable prices and even considered using those.
You cannot legally hunt in Oregon with FMJ ammunition.

I really like the 168gr Noslers Accubond. It's great for deer and Elk here in Oregon. I have found it to be a bit larger then Iwould like for Costal Blacktails. This is out of a .30-06, but you asked about projectiles and performance would be the same out of a .308.

Since you asked Remington 700,1:10 twist with a 22" barrel.

Last Edited:
You cannot legally hunt in Oregon with FMJ ammunition.

I really like the 168gr Noslers Accubond. It's great for deer and Elk here in Oregon. I have found it to be a bit larger then Iwould like for Costal Blacktails. This is out of a .30-06, but you asked about projectiles and performance would be the same out of a .308.

Since you asked Remington 700,1:10 twist with a 22" barrel.

Thanks for letting me know about the FMJ. Looks like that option is out but i may still pick some up for plinking.

Thanks for chiming in on those Noslers. That's good info.

When I started to deer hunt, I had access to some Military match grade hollow points in .308. I discovered that the bullet was a 168gr High Sierra boat tail hollow point. Man they fly like a laser. Nice and straight. I am using a Winchester model 70 short action with a 26" heavy barrel. I am not sure what the twist is. I hunt the wheat fields in Eastern Washington and have the gun zeroed at 200 yards. At 200 yards using the High Sierra bullet, I can hold a 6" group. I have since ran out of the Military Match grade ammo but I have found commercial ammo with the same bullet. That is pretty much all I use for deer hunting. I have harvested 9 deer using that rifle and bullet. I have had the rifle and been using the High Sierra bullet for 20 years. The one thing I do not know is what type of powder and how many grains are used. I suppose I could pull a bullet and measure how much powder is there but I still don't know what type of powder.

Remington core lokt 165g (or are they 160?) factory ammo.

Under $1 a round. How many deer are you shooting a year?

I know thats a popular factory ammo people use. I've never tried it so I guess we'll find out.
As far as how many deer...I'm hoping to get 1 in the next 2-3 years. :)
When I started to deer hunt, I had access to some Military match grade hollow points in .308. I discovered that the bullet was a 168gr High Sierra boat tail hollow point. Man they fly like a laser. Nice and straight. I am using a Winchester model 70 short action with a 26" heavy barrel. I am not sure what the twist is. I hunt the wheat fields in Eastern Washington and have the gun zeroed at 200 yards. At 200 yards using the High Sierra bullet, I can hold a 6" group. I have since ran out of the Military Match grade ammo but I have found commercial ammo with the same bullet. That is pretty much all I use for deer hunting. I have harvested 9 deer using that rifle and bullet. I have had the rifle and been using the High Sierra bullet for 20 years. The one thing I do not know is what type of powder and how many grains are used. I suppose I could pull a bullet and measure how much powder is there but I still don't know what type of powder.

These?

upload_2015-7-25_8-27-46.png

Remington core lokt 165g (or are they 160?) factory ammo.

Under $1 a round. How many deer are you shooting a year?

I've read that's a popular factory load. I'll try some out.
The reloader in me is always saying I can make that round...but cheaper. :)
Plus i get a little more satisfaction in knowing i'm shooting my own ammo. But i'll definitealy pick up a couple of boxes to try out. Plus it looks like Remington is running a rebate on them as well. I'll post it up under Great Deals as well.

http://media.midwayusa.com/cms/rebate/2015_7/150309_midwayammoform_d5.pdf

I shoot a lot of different types of bullets out of my .308 125gr up to 180gr for big game I like 150gr Barnes .
I reload and like to test out loads looking for the best setup.

Remember the 308 is slow in the world of hunting cartridges. Most of the super hunting bullets with the bonded depleted uranium cores (joke) or the monolithic bullets (TSX, GMX, E-Tip) were designed to perform at higher impact velocities. This solved the problem of jacket separation and poor penetration of standard cup and core bullets traveling several hundred feet per second faster when loaded in a magnum case vs the standard case they were designed for.

So, if you intend on shooting at ranges under 200 yards, tougher bullets can make sense because impact velocity will be higher. Remember that beyond that range, you may not have the velocity to open up a tough bullet in the thin shoulders of a deer and it will pencil through.

If you MUST use a wonder bullet, go light and tart it up. The 130gr Barnes TTSX would be my pick. That, or a 150gr bonded bullet. No heavier.

If you arent set on a wonder bullet, you're in luck. Just about every non-bonded jacketed bullet is meant to perform at 308/30-06 velocities. That means good expansion throughout the effective range of the bullet. Nosler Solid Base, Nosler Ballistic Tips, Sierra GameKings, Hornady Interlocks, Hornady SST, Speer Boat Tails, etc.

All of those bullets are designed to expand reliably within a deer at standard velocity. I prefer the 165/168 gr bullets because there is a little more weight to shed if I get a close shot. On long shots, they will carry more energy than the lighter bullets. As a reloader, they are also a bit longer and let me adjust OAL to suit my chamber.

Hope this helps. I've used the 308 a lot for hunting. It works.

Oh, BTW, match bullets are cool because they are accurate and snipers use them etc. However, if a bullet manufacturer puts a sign on the box that says "not for hunting", please take their word or it. To hit a deer, you and your rifle need to hold minute of pie plate. You're not shooting an enemy Sniper in the eye through his 7/8ths inch tasco 22 scope.

Use a bullet that was meant to cause traumatic damage to the vital organs of an animal that deserves respect.

I will use most any of these Hornady's to sight my weapons in.I have had such good luck with them I trust them over the rifle.If the new gun can't shoot one of these good it goes down the road
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?itemsperpage=0&dimensionids=4294846306&newcategorydimensionid=15958
Tried 3 different 300wm Hornady loads with my winchester m70 and only got a 5 inch group at 100 yards.The gun went by by
My M700 tactical would make 1 hole groups if I did my part right.

No_regrets is right to use the correct bullet design,but you need to make sure you are shooting within YOUR EFFECTIVE RANGE first. Make sure what distance you can actually hit bubblegum consistently
308 is used at 1000 yard shoots,doesn't mean YOU (or I) can hit anything out that far

I picked up a bunch of different types of ammo this weekend...everything from FMJ, SP, HP...flat tail to boat tail...147gr up to 168 grain.
Going to see how it all runs through the rifle and then i'll start playing with loads.

No_regrets is right to use the correct bullet design,but you need to make sure you are shooting within YOUR EFFECTIVE RANGE first. Make sure what distance you can actually hit bubblegum consistently 308 is used at 1000 yard shoots,doesn't mean YOU (or I) can hit anything out that far

I hear you loud and clear.
My maximum range for attempting a shot at game would be 200 yds. I know people go further out but i'm trying to be very conservative. I can hit a man size target up to 400 yds with ease but this is different. My experience has been with paper/metal targets, they're standing still and if I miss...it's no big deal, adjust and shoot again.
Plus I definitely want to be an ethical hunter. Don't want to make the shot unless i'm sure i can hit the organs and make it a quick kill.

Oh, BTW, match bullets are cool because they are accurate and snipers use them etc. .

And they seem to work as designed. Out of the 9 deer I have harvested. 8 of them were shot with this bullet. Also, only one of the remaining 8 required a second shot. 7 of them were a one shot one kill deal.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top