JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Considering @Reno 's thread about CCO's (cheap Chinese optics), and considering that a significant number of pharmaceuticals are made in China, I suggest you store them in a dark, cool, dry, EMP resistant place.
But WTH, they'll probably disintegrate anyway like an IMF mission task message.

I did a test on my some of own essentials, using a compartmented snap tight pill box stored in a dark glove box in a vehicle. The fail rate for some capsules for spectacular expansive decomposition over 6 months was 100%. The fail rate for compressed tablets was not optically measurable, yet effective strength/viability remains unknown.

Considering @Reno 's thread about CCO's (cheap Chinese optics), and considering that a significant number of pharmaceuticals are made in China, I suggest you store them in a dark, cool, dry, EMP resistant place.
But WTH, they'll probably disintegrate anyway like an IMF mission task message.
:s0156:

I did a test on my some of own essentials, using a compartmented snap tight pill box stored in a dark glove box in a vehicle. The fail rate for some capsules for spectacular expansive decomposition over 6 months was 100%. The fail rate for compressed tablets was not optically measurable, yet effective strength/viability remains unknown.
Have you ever taken a whiff of ibuprofen that has endured the heat of a car glove box in summer? The chemical smell is overwhelming.

Pretty harsh environment with excessive daily temp swings, I'd think anyways.

Same meds "may" last an extended period in a cabinet in a non HVAC controlled home, just because the temp swings wouldn't be as drastic and frequent.

Dunno, just thinking aloud...

The idea was to determine effects of that particular environment. Thermal variation was somewhat less than the extremes of dash level, as it was wrapped in gloves and at footwear level. It still proved too harsh. Moving on.

Vacume seal into monthly rations with drug info and dose, store cool dry place out of direct sunlight or uv containers.
Now you got waterproof amounts that can be transported and cached in reasonable quantities.

Do your research to understand what is safe beyond the expiration date.

Per a friend who is a hospital Pharmacist in Canada, one example is Tetracycline where you don't want to use it beyond the expiration date since it becomes a nasty risk.

Even when stored optimally, there is probably a difference in the shelf life of something like an opioid pain pill vs an antibiotic pill... I would just want to label the items accordingly... It is good you have a reserve of needed medications, it does not take much to disrupt the supply chain of these critical items.

Get to know your local pharmacist. Like said above, learn up on meds in general and YOUR meds in particular. Expect a long learning curve. Fun if you are suited for it. Consider it just some more med training.

Try to get you prescription meds refilled on a 90 day cycle. Also try to legally obtain a large supply of your meds that have a long shelf like. Cycle through them. Consider substitutes. Consider alternative medicine.

I for one find it hard to wrap my feeble minds eye around the pesky fact that my health depends greatly upon my many meds. If such usage is stopped due to SHTF, I for one will be in deep do do. Something to consider.

Ex RN

I've stored my pain meds collection inside a safe with a goldenrod for over 20 years--the few pills I ever use seem to be just as effective as when I put them in there originally
I think I have either acquired a tolerance for pain meds when I crushed my foot 25+ years ago, or the meds I have did not do well being stored. They do not seem as effective as they were the first time I took them (not the same actual pills, but similar opioids I got for other issues). Just the same, I only use them if I absolutely have to and have them in the same place - a cabinet in the house.

For the OP - I order my BP/heart/cholesterol meds from Amazon Pharmacy which allows orders about every 22-23 days. So there is about a 1 week overlap each month, giving me about one month's extra supply each 3-4 months. I figure I have about 6 months supply now. Each time I get a new delivery, I put all the previous meds in the new bottles - I think they may have a preservative lid on them.

I am pretty sure these meds will last for at least a few years - they have an expiration date of one year.

I do keep OTC meds in the car, which gets hot during the summer, but the meds there seem to be ok still.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top