JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This sounds good in theory but falls apart in practice, case in point, I was interested in a pistol and got the serial number from the seller in advance of meeting. I decided to check it out before meeting so I call and it goes like this "I'd like to check a pistol serial number please", "what is the address of the pistol?"," I don't know, I'm calling to check on it before I meet the seller", "without the address I can't check the serial number because if it's stolen the police need the address to pick up the pistol", "so you're telling me I can't find out if it's stolen until I arrange to meet the seller and call back with the time of the meeting and the address?" "That's correct", "thanks (for nothing!), click". :s0054: Gary

Call your local PD or Sherriffs front desk. With the SPD the call always goes

"Hello I was wondering if you could run a serial on a gun for me"

'maker and serial?'

"blah blah"

'not reported stolen'

"thanks"

This sounds good in theory but falls apart in practice, case in point, I was interested in a pistol and got the serial number from the seller in advance of meeting. I decided to check it out before meeting so I call and it goes like this "I'd like to check a pistol serial number please", "what is the address of the pistol?"," I don't know, I'm calling to check on it before I meet the seller", "without the address I can't check the serial number because if it's stolen the police need the address to pick up the pistol", "so you're telling me I can't find out if it's stolen until I arrange to meet the seller and call back with the time of the meeting and the address?" "That's correct", "thanks (for nothing!), click". :s0054: Gary

Yeah - that's dumb.

They should accept other info, but you know how some gov workers are; they have to follow the script/rules/regs.

Do these guns reported stolen stay in the system until they are found or recovered? I had a handgun stolen and reported the serial number, etc. yet I received a letter from the Hillsboro P.D. every year or two to basically "re-up" the stolen firearm's SN. Pretty stupid IMO, if it's recovered the PD would be the ones to change the status, not me. If it was lost or something and found it I'd let them know.
I'd hate to think it's not being flagged as stolen by NICS or whoever controls that because I didn't keep letting them know it's still stolen.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top