Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How to check if a potential firearm buy is stolen...

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by JeremyK, Jan 9, 2014.

1. JeremyK

JeremyK Milwaukie Professional BA

Just like the title says, is there a website or a hotline or something?

2. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Oregon stolen gun hotline 503-585-6245

3. YoungBlood

YoungBlood SW Washington Active Member

Is there one for Washington?

4. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Oregon State Police Firearms Instant Check System (FICS)
    The (OSP) Firearms Unit is responsible for processing stolen gun checks against the stolen weapons files in LEDS and NCIC for the dealers and any private citizen requesting this service. There is no fee for processing the stolen gun checks. To check a firearm against the stolen record files, call 1-800-432-5059.

5. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

6. YoungBlood

YoungBlood SW Washington Active Member

Thanks for the number!

7. FullCaliberII

FullCaliberII Pierce County, WA Active Member

If a gun is reported stolen, the serial number should be entered in a national system... so the OSP number would work to check any gun, any state.

8. captqc

captqc Tigard Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

This sounds good in theory but falls apart in practice, case in point, I was interested in a pistol and got the serial number from the seller in advance of meeting. I decided to check it out before meeting so I call and it goes like this "I'd like to check a pistol serial number please", "what is the address of the pistol?"," I don't know, I'm calling to check on it before I meet the seller", "without the address I can't check the serial number because if it's stolen the police need the address to pick up the pistol", "so you're telling me I can't find out if it's stolen until I arrange to meet the seller and call back with the time of the meeting and the address?" "That's correct", "thanks (for nothing!), click". :banghead: Gary

9. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

Call your local PD or Sherriffs front desk. With the SPD the call always goes

"Hello I was wondering if you could run a serial on a gun for me"

'maker and serial?'

"blah blah"

'not reported stolen'

"thanks"

10. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

Yeah - that's dumb.

They should accept other info, but you know how some gov workers are; they have to follow the script/rules/regs.

11. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

Do these guns reported stolen stay in the system until they are found or recovered? I had a handgun stolen and reported the serial number, etc. yet I received a letter from the Hillsboro P.D. every year or two to basically "re-up" the stolen firearm's SN. Pretty stupid IMO, if it's recovered the PD would be the ones to change the status, not me. If it was lost or something and found it I'd let them know.
    I'd hate to think it's not being flagged as stolen by NICS or whoever controls that because I didn't keep letting them know it's still stolen.

12. rkoreis

rkoreis Vancouver, WA Member

B-b-b-b-but that's a national registration database!