JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd say you can't have respect and contempt for someone simultaneously. These are opposites. unless you mean with respect to different aspects if their knowledge, skills, and character. You can treat everyone with courtesy though, whether you respect them or not.

I'd say having respect for someone and treating someone respectfully are different.

I suppose it depends on the people involved, like most things. A couple years back, I took my bi-racial, very liberal niece shooting because she had an open mind and was curious. Showed her a variety of guns from single action 22s to ARs. While we were there, an older range rat started talking to us and helped give her some pointers. He even let her shoot his rifle he was working on loads for. He had been an instructor with the Boy Scouts for decades and was very encouraging of new shooters. Her skin color, her political views, her newness, the fact she was a female . . . none of that seemed to have any bearing on our conversation except in a supportive tone. Because all the people had open minds, this was a great experience as opposed to an off-putting one.

Conversely, I started as a temp at a bank once (IT related). All the guys there had been there forever and if you weren't one of them, you could take a hike. I did what I was there to do and never was interested in going back, even when they had open positions.

My point, that while there are some steps you can take to show respect and courtesy to find your place in anything new, there is certainly room for existing gun owners to lead by example and be ambassadors for "gun culture". If we build walls and don't make it welcoming to new comers, will we be surprised when there is no one to take up the mantel when our time comes? This isn't the military and this isn't a new job. This is a right that is open to everyone and a hobby we want others to enjoy. It's the same as screaming that voting republican is the only way. If we aren't willing to have an open discussion and welcome others, how are we ever going to get anyone else to support the second amendment more openly? It's like an echo chamber fueling confirmation bias.

But I whole heartedly agree that if someone is looking to fit in, those are great steps to follow and contribute to our individual emotional intelligence. I just think it isn't a one way street if we want to see gun culture flourish.

In my experience, and what it sounds like from your niece, the "culture" isn't as scary and impenetrable as some people make it out to be. Just be decent and don't alienate yourself from the get-go. Give the "culture" a chance and I think most would be pleasantly surprised.

Respect has always been, and will always be earned. It's not something that can be given. I think people often confuse respect with politeness. I'm very polite most of the time, even to people I have absolutely no respect for. This whole "respect me no matter what attitude," I blame that on the school system and parents for generations telling everyone that they were special because they exist.

I don't know about this? I believe I grew up giving automatic respect to my elders. At that age that was most every one. From the punkish high school kid when I was in 6th grade, to the people that lived on our street. I was always friendly and respectful with the older folks where I live. If they told me I was doing something I shouldn't, I respected it. They were my elder. I like to think I was/am smart enough to know when someone does not deserve the respect. I feel that I still live my life by having respect from the get-go for the people I meet. at least until I learn if/when they no longer deserve respect.

Nah! I go in like Foghorn Leghorn. I butt into conversations that I wasn't part of, but only after listening long enough to decide how to contradict them with facts and quotes that I make up as I go. The less I know about something, the louder I am about it. If you have something that I don't own. I make fun of you for being silly and ignorant because I only own the bestest and coolest and if you do own something that I also own, then I expect you to thank me for leading the way, even if you had yours before I got mine!
This is why everyone gets quiet when I show up. It's out of respect for my wisdom and cant as they wait eagerly for my next pearls of intellect.
They thirst for knowledge and for that, I am a river.
This is the Tao of GWS!!;)

Was this your "Epiphany? It should be. I don't know how you could have nailed it better that that!

I joined this site in 9/2011. I had voted for Barak Obama less than three years earlier, and had great hope for change. I'm only including that because it gives an idea where I was politically. I guess I've always been one to approach a group of people like you suggest. I never once felt picked on or marginalized by the gun community. But then I came from a fishing forum. Anyone who is seriously into salmon/steelhead know fishermen can be real bubblegumes! You guys were easy!:s0155:
A lot of us came from iFish, where we were summarily banned for violating group think.

My suggestion to people new to "gun culture",
Another suggestion as well.

Don't refer to certain 'classic' guns as potential 'alternatives' you would consider owning if your beloved MSRs, poly/plastic etc. were to be 'taken away'.

By 'Classic' I am referring to levers, bolts, revolvers, single shots and black powder as well.

A LOT of 'gun culture' members own these types of guns exclusively, have respect for the tradition and history of them and would see this as an uneducated and disrespectful position.

Another suggestion as well.

Don't refer to certain 'classic' guns as potential 'alternatives' you would consider owning if your beloved MSRs, poly/plastic etc. were to be 'taken away'.

By 'Classic' I am referring to levers, bolts, revolvers, single shots and black powder as well.

A LOT of 'gun culture' members own these types of guns exclusively, have respect for the tradition and history of them and would see this as an uneducated and disrespectful position.

You had to make me go look for it, didn't you?

I present to you, the lever action AR: the Red Ryd-AR!!
1613433421414.png

I'm sorry for that, but I couldn't help myself. Okay. Now back to the real discussion.

I believe it to be a two way street.

Act too superior to the ones joining in by demanding they respect you because you have been there longer or are older, rubs me the wrong way. It always has. Still does, even as I am becoming the elder.

I'm not the only one that sees things like that.

I think that is where the problem lies.

Number 3 " Your opinions don't matter yet."
-This ones truly shows a lot.

If the older generation thinks like this, why should the younger generations? Is it because you said so? When do you allow their opinions to matter?

Speaking only for myself here....

My love for traditional muzzle loaders is well known.
What bothers me at times , is when gun owners , both old and new , show disdain for these firearms , especially if they have never had any real world experience with them.

I know that on paper much of muzzle loading ballistics and such , does not seem impressive , when compared to modern cartridge firing guns.
I also know , that any target that I have hit or game that I have taken , has never complained of being hit or killed with powder , patch and ball.

I would suggest that gun owners new and old , seek out those that own and shoot muzzle loaders and ask them about their firearms of choice.
I always have enjoyed sharing what I know and learned...as well as welcoming the chance to have someone shoot one of my muzzle loaders.
I do this , not so much as way to "change a mind" ...but simply to inform and give someone a new experience.
Andy

Presume good intent, be adult enough to admit when you might be wrong, realize that perspective is another person's reality and truth, and don't take things too seriously.

Oh yeah, and try not to be an ahole.

Unless you actually are an ahole, in which case try to fight your true nature, you know, for the sake of conversation.

I believe it to be a two way street.

Act too superior to the ones joining in by demanding they respect you because you have been there longer or are older, rubs me the wrong way. It always has. Still does, even as I am becoming the elder.

I'm not the only one that sees things like that.

I think that is where the problem lies.

Number 3 " Your opinions don't matter yet."
-This ones truly shows a lot.

If the older generation thinks like this, why should the younger generations? Is it because you said so? When do you allow their opinions to matter?

When you prestige on being a decent person and not expecting everything to be handed to you. Otherwise, you become the workplace/social grenade.

Would you walk up to a table at a bar, sit with people you don't know, pour yourself a beer out of their pitcher and explain to them your thoughts on the world?

Last Edited:
I'd say you can't have respect and contempt for someone simultaneously. These are opposites. unless you mean with respect to different aspects if their knowledge, skills, and character. You can treat everyone with courtesy though, whether you respect them or not.
You very definitely can have simultaneous contempt and respect for the same person. But you're correct in that it is in regards to different facets of said individual.

When you prestige on being a decent person and not expecting everything to be handed to you. Otherwise, you become the workplace/social grenade.
I agree on the grounds that both parties have the interest of treating each other respectfully.

I agree on the grounds that both parties have the interest of treating each other respectfully.

If you read that quote again, it talks about staying on task first, thus establishing that the task is the most important vs other-talk. Whether its work, or shooting. It would be weird if you invited someone to the range and they didn't want to focus on the guns and shooting and would rather talk other stuff.

If you read that quote again, it talks about staying on task first, thus establishing that the task is the most important vs other-talk. Whether its work, or shooting. It would be weird if you invited someone to the range and they didn't want to focus on the guns and shooting and would rather talk other stuff.
Is that the task of this thread? I was under the impression the task of this thread was how to be included into gun culture?

Is that the task of this thread? I was under the impression the task of this thread was how to be included into gun culture?

Think of the "task" as trying to learn about guns and shooting. When trying to get into shooting, just worry about shooting first before talking other stuff.

I you and I met to try out a new gun that one of us owns and the other is interested in, wouldn't it be odd if I spent the whole time trying to get you to convert to a religion or party and making things contentious?

I didn't have to tell anyone I'm a "minority". They figured it our right away. It didn't matter because we were there to shoot. I didn't make it an issue. Some people want to make their identity an issue before things even get started.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top