JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How readily do you add a new cartridge to the line-up?

• Don't give it a second thought. Add or not add.

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Will add a new one, but only after some thought.

Votes: 29 35.8%
  • Generally shy away from it, but will in certain circumstances.

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • No, not adding a new one, for any reason.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • Um, eh, (bromp!) wut wuz duh ques'n, eh-gain?

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters
If its better than what i have I will upgrade it. Like a wife.

Some new rounds are better for specific circumstances. I am not a one size does it all. I do not hunt deer with my elk gun, or Antelope with my deer gun. Unless I am on combo hunt then I have that covered.

Carry Pistols- only one necessary, 10mm. unless you want a small ankle rig, then I go all girl and carry a small 9.

then there are the guns for no apparent reason. MSR, need a few calibers

Shotguns, lots of different critters , needs different guns.

So, heck ya, buy new stuff.

What are these here "Cartridges"...:D

With the price of ammo....and the difficulty in finding it in the first place...I would add , but after only after our supply lines catch up and such.

In any event...what I own now both in cartridge guns and muzzle loaders will work for all my shooting.
With that said...Shooting has always been about fun with me...getting something new is fun...so that will happen again...soon I hope.
Andy

I would probably only add a new cartridge if I happened to find a gun I was looking for and it was in a variation I did not currently load for.

A good example would be a Mod 64 Winchester. I am currently looking for one in .30-30 BUT if I saw a nice one and it was in say .25-35 and the price was right then I would consider it. Otherwise I would not add a cartridge because of it only - then go look for a gun chambered for it.

As long as I could secure rounds for the new caliber, and it makes sense to add it, why not. Only get one crack at this ride, so gotta make it count…
My thoughts exactly. I shoot for fun; it's a hobby. I'm not prepping for a war or some collapse. Another caliber is just another reason to get out and shoot.

In the past year I've added .357 Sig and 9x23 Win. I normally hesitate to add cartridges but was able to get into a ton of ammo for both when it was available and more common cartridges were sold out. When .357 Sig and 9x23 Win are available for the same price as bulk 9mm poodle shootin' ball, the choice is obvious for me. For me it's about how much I'm able to shoot and how much passion I have behind the thing.

If we get back to .45acp at $0.30/rd I'll pretty much just shoot that and .44spec/mag and .22lr

Only if they have a new model of firearm to shoot it. Gun models haven't changed much for decades. Give me a plasma rifle in a 40 watt range and it's something new. :s0093:

I took and am taking advantage of this situation some to tailor my ammo choices. A long ways to go. I recently got into 10mm Auto while chopping 357 SIG, 38 SPL, and 357 Mag from my collection......slowly. Rifle rounds on the other handle....oh, lawdy help me!!

I would probably only add a new cartridge if I happened to find a gun I was looking for and it was in a variation I did not currently load for.

A good example would be a Mod 64 Winchester. I am currently looking for one in .30-30 BUT if I saw a nice one and it was in say .25-35 and the price was right then I would consider it. Otherwise I would not add a cartridge because of it only - then go look for a gun chambered for it.
You know that I'm sorta looking for a M94 lever gun. I feel like I should just stay with .30-30. It's such a sexy cartridge! And brass and bullets are plentiful and easy to come by. :oops: I think having an older caliber would be way cool, but i don't know enough about older calibers and don't want to get something that brass and bullets are hard to find or terribly expensive.

As to the question, I'm not looking for another caliber. I can load for seven now and have two other calibers in non reloadable cases.

You know that I'm sorta looking for a M94 lever gun. I feel like I should just stay with .30-30. It's such a sexy cartridge! And brass and bullets are plentiful and easy to come by.
Exactly. And In a Mod 94 the 'Lion's share' were mostly in .30-30 anyway. Also some of the other calibers the Mod 94 was chambered in tend to be earlier models and will be much more expensive.

I voted no. The last new caliber that hit the vault was 22TCM, and that was only after I had secured a goodly quantity of bullets, brass and all the associated what-nots I needed to roll my own. Pre panic prices were bad enough and I sure ain't paying the going rate these days.

I tend to buy the firearm rather then the cartridge. I've just added 45-70 GOV to my list because I wanted a Winchester model 1885 single shot and its the most universal cartridge I could get the rifle in. Being I can load Black Powder and smokeless loads.

Next will be .35 Whelen as I am building a Savage 111 in that caliber so in that instance it is because I want the cartridge. As I reload everything but rim fire and shot shell. I don't bother with the cost of setting up for a new cartridge. And in many cases if its the same caliber Like my .30 M1 30-30 30-40 30-06 .308 they all use the same components just different amounts of powder and bullet grains. Cost exactly the same to load my almost impossible to find factory 30-40 Krag ammo as a .308win as they even use the same amount of powder within a grain or two.

I tend to buy the firearm rather then the cartridge. I've just added 45-70 GOV to my list because I wanted a Winchester model 1885 single shot and its the most universal cartridge I could get the rifle in. Being I can load Black Powder and smokeless loads.

Next will be .35 Whelen as I am building a Savage 111 in that caliber so in that instance it is because I want the cartridge. As I reload everything but rim fire and shot shell. I don't bother with the cost of setting up for a new cartridge. And in many cases if its the same caliber Like my .30 M1 30-30 30-40 30-06 .308 they all use the same components just different amounts of powder and bullet grains. Cost exactly the same to load my almost impossible to find factory 30-40 Krag ammo as a .308win as they even use the same amount of powder within a grain or two.
I'm currently set up to load .223/5.56 22-250 .243 30M1 30-30 30-40 .308 30-06 .35 Whelen 45-70Gov. .25ACP .380 .38spl 357mag 9mm .45ACP Adding a new set of dies and holders is no big deal.

Before I throttled back on my gun activities, if I wanted a certain gun and it was in a cartridge that I didn't already own, it didn't bother me much. I just figured, "Okay, need another set of dies." For decades. But in the past few years, realization of my age has sunk in and I pared way down on my holdings. All the less than ordinary chamberings are gone. Now, my centerfire rifle line up is .223 Rem., .308 Win., and .30-06. My centerfire handguns are .38 Special, 9mm Luger, .357 Magnum, and .45 ACP. The .45 pistol is going away as soon as I use up my .45 ACP reloads.

I liked working with many different firearms and chamberings, it was fun. Now, the simplicity of working with relative few has its satisfactions.

I'm currently set up to load .223/5.56 22-250 .243 30M1 30-30 30-40 .308 30-06 .35 Whelen 45-70Gov. .25ACP .380 .38spl 357mag 9mm .45ACP Adding a new set of dies and holders is no big deal.
Glutton for punishment! On the 1050, a new cartridge will be around $500 or so including dies.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top