JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How readily do you add a new cartridge to the line-up?

• Don't give it a second thought. Add or not add.

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Will add a new one, but only after some thought.

Votes: 29 35.8%
  • Generally shy away from it, but will in certain circumstances.

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • No, not adding a new one, for any reason.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • Um, eh, (bromp!) wut wuz duh ques'n, eh-gain?

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters
If I like the gun and is priced right, I buy it.
If I think a caliber is cool, I build it.
Last ones built,
17 fireball
6 Norma dasher
223 AI
280 AI
300 black out 26" barrel
6.5 creedmoor in a AR 10
next is a 25-06 AI

I had a former coworker who took that concept to a bit of an extreme. He HAD to have a thousand rounds for every gun he owned. If he went to the range and shot 40 rounds, he had to stop on the way home and buy another 40 rounds. This was back when you could just stop at the store and buy ammo.

The extreme part was when he inherited an old Luger in .30 Luger. He was searching all over for a thousand rounds of .30 Luger ammo at a price he could afford to buy.
.30-06 is about the only cartridge that I might not have 100 rounds for. I inherited my father's hunting rifle - a sporterized 03-A3, and I just have not bothered to get any more ammo for it than I already had, including the ammo he had. I will get around to it eventually.

For a while, I only had about 40 rounds of .45-70, but then picked up some more as a few NWFA members sold me some. Ditto with .460 mag and .45LC. - .30-30 is another cartridge I do not have a lot of - 260 hunting rounds - plenty of ammo considering I have not hunted in 20 years. .410 is one that I need to get more ammo for, but I only have one .410 shotgun; an M6 Scout and I shoot it rarely.

OTOH - most everything else (except shotguns) I have a minimum of 1K rounds, except revolvers, which I have between 400 to 1K rounds.

GS884_STANDARD_WEB_READY_1024x1024@2x.jpg

I didn't go looking for 10mm auto, it found me. Other than that, I stick to common calibers for the common reasons. One thing I have noticed during this ammo crisis of the past year or so- with a case of ammo possibly equaling the cost of a firearm to shoot it out of - is that I desire to have more than one firearm per caliber. For me, .40 SW is a good example. Not what I consider a "go to", but I may have "plenty" of .40, yet my only firearm in that caliber is a police trade in (which runs as smooth as warm butter and never hiccupped, but still..). Or maybe I am just justifying buying more guns!

.30-06 is about the only cartridge that I might not have 100 rounds for. I inherited my father's hunting rifle - a sporterized 03-A3, and I just have not bothered to get any more ammo for it than I already had, including the ammo he had. I will get around to it eventually.

For a while, I only had about 40 rounds of .45-70, but then picked up some more as a few NWFA members sold me some. Ditto with .460 mag and .45LC. - .30-30 is another cartridge I do not have a lot of - 260 hunting rounds - plenty of ammo considering I have not hunted in 20 years. .410 is one that I need to get more ammo for, but I only have one .410 shotgun; an M6 Scout and I shoot it rarely.

OTOH - most everything else (except shotguns) I have a minimum of 1K rounds, except revolvers, which I have between 400 to 1K rounds.

View attachment 985268
The chances of a member wearing the shirt you just posted a pic of?..........

20210703_111702.jpg

I have so dang many different cartridges it almost doesn't matter if I think about it or not. The exception is shotguns in that I insist all be 12ga.

I didn't go looking for 10mm auto, it found me. Other than that, I stick to common calibers for the common reasons. One thing I have noticed during this ammo crisis of the past year or so- with a case of ammo possibly equaling the cost of a firearm to shoot it out of - is that I desire to have more than one firearm per caliber. For me, .40 SW is a good example. Not what I consider a "go to", but I may have "plenty" of .40, yet my only firearm in that caliber is a police trade in (which runs as smooth as warm butter and never hiccupped, but still..). Or maybe I am just justifying buying more guns!
I have considered a 10mm revolver, but only because it can also shoot .40 S&W and I like the .40

I have considered a 10mm revolver, but only because it can also shoot .40 S&W and I like the .40
Temptation get thee behind me. There is one right now at my lgs. If it is still there when my G29 gets out of jail.... And I do like the .40 as well, just need a few more pieces to shoot it out of. :D

Heretic- any recommendations?

I don't reload. Don't have time. And over the years I found I didn't like .40 and preferred .38/.357 to shoot small predators that came after my ducks to .22. So I've consolidated to .38, .357mag, .44sp, and .44mag. If I ever buy a high capacity plastic wonder I'll add either 9mm or .45acp. However that certainly won't be now with guns and ammo so overpriced. And maybe never, as there are a couple more 629s I covet more than any plastic wonder. And even if I tried to buy a plastic wonder, I'd likely not manage it. Some gorgeous revolver would croon seductively to me on the way to the plastic wonder, and I'd forget all about the plastic wonder. Again.

If I don't already load for it, I don't buy it.
For me, developing loads for new calibers is part of the fun.
A new caliber has to have something unique
22 TCM is loud and zippy with very low recoil
.300 Blackout is a fantastic subsonic round. I love shooting it through a suppressor.
5.7x28 is zippy and super compact and the Ruger 57 made that round worth a second look and so did CMMG
.22 WMR fit in my KelTec PMR.
Sometimes a new gun makes me interested in adding a new caliber. Sometimes a new caliber makes it worth trying a new gun l

Last Edited:
Sometimes a new gun makes me interested in adding a new caliber. Sometimes a new caliber makes it worth trying a new gun l
And sometimes both!

I have been 'kicking around' the idea of a Lyman Mini-Sharps in .38-55 - as I have always admired Sharps rifles and had a 'fascination' for the .38-55 round.

As I enjoy early cartridge firearms the most, I own a lot of ancient oddballs.

Unless the caliber is impossible to find (or reload for), I will happily add it to my lineup.

As is... I've now guns in 16 different calibers.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top