Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How often to clean carry gun?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by BigCat, Feb 18, 2011.

1. BigCat

BigCat Portland Member

I have an LCP that rarely gets shot, but spends a lot of time in my back pocket. Lint and fuzz love to stick in the barrel and on the hammer. Should I make it a habit to break the gun down and give it a full cleaning once a month or so, or will a quick exterior wipe off every now and then be suitable?

2. Chipperxd

Chipperxd Buffalo Active Member

I only clean my EDCs only when I shoot it. I highly doubt that a little pocket lint/fuzz is going to jam up your gun.

3. MA Duce

MA Duce Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Unless you are swimming in mud a quick blow/wipe off when you think it an issue is most likely good. I'm with Chipper on the dangers of lint or fuzz. You might also consider getting a holster..it will keep your weapon more secure and cleaner.

4. BigCat

BigCat Portland Member

I have a pocket holster, but the bottom is uncovered, so the tip of the barrel is victim to the fuzz lol.

5. Rix

Rix Tacoma Active Member

I clean my carry once a month give or take.

6. Grommit327

Grommit327 Buckley Active Member

I think HK had a display a couple years ago at SHOT that had a P2000 with 25,000 empty brass casings with no cleanings and no failures. So yeah I don't clean as much as I should but it doesn't worry me a whole lot

7. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

Not anywhere near as often as I should, I guess....

8. Izzy

Izzy Oakridge Active Member

1-3 times a week, because I shoot it 1-3 times a week!

9. Quick_Draw_McGraw

Quick_Draw_McGraw Burien, WA Member

every week i do a field strip and blast all the fuz out with a air nozzel, then a little dab of oil here and there and back onto my hip

10. f3rr37

f3rr37 Portland New Member

I carry my LCP the same way, it doesn't see much range time, so I usually will just blow the visible lint off once a month and then every 3 months I'll break it down and re-oil everything. But if it gets shot at any point, it gets broken down and cleaned.

11. LibertyFF

LibertyFF Northwest New Member

Shoot a couple hundred rounds, clean, oil, and repeat. Do this as many times as you feel necessary!

12. twoclones

twoclones Tri-Cities, WA Well-Known Member

Same here. I intend to clean my revolver once a month but don't really... I do open the yoke to blow the sawdust out every evening.

13. Thebastidge

Thebastidge 10411 NE Fourth Plain Blvd Vancouver WA 98662 Well-Known Member

Personally, I clean mine about every week, sometimes it gets stretched to two. With a magazine inserted all the time and a round constantly chambered, not much gets into the firearm except some dust in the barrel.

14. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I cleaned my carry weapon the other day for the first time in about 4 months, yikes! Amazing how much lint and other crap gets in their.

15. chrislind2

chrislind2 Springfield, Oregon Member

Friday night is laundry night and after the clothes are folded, the carry gun gets cleaned. I unload it and then release the slide and lint and dust flies! Just a quick dusting and Q-tip the barrel, slight oil on the slide points.

16. Shootemup

Shootemup Clackamas county Member

If I haven't been shooting I'm a while I will do a field strip and blow out all the lint from my lcp every couple months or whenever im bored at home. My xd subcompact is
    In a iwb so it doesn't see much lint. But I usually give it a wipe down every few months.

17. not nipsy

not nipsy Olympia, WA Member

I don't worry too much about cleaning outside of shooting my carry gun. However, I do dry fire it quite a bit at home. More concerning to me is bullet setback from rechambering a round after every dry-fire practice session. I dry-fire about 3x per week. I try to alternate "first rounds", and I always shoot my carry ammo first at my next range session. It's probably not a likely problem, but better safe than sorry.

18. zaxx

zaxx Winchester New Member

Once a week, whether it needs it or not...

19. Tommy34

Tommy34 Kalama Washington New Member

unless i shoot it once a month or after i shoot or if i get board or if i get board or if i get board
    you get the picture

20. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I think my glock manual says to clean it every 3rd year or something like that.