JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an LCP that rarely gets shot, but spends a lot of time in my back pocket. Lint and fuzz love to stick in the barrel and on the hammer. Should I make it a habit to break the gun down and give it a full cleaning once a month or so, or will a quick exterior wipe off every now and then be suitable?

Unless you are swimming in mud a quick blow/wipe off when you think it an issue is most likely good. I'm with Chipper on the dangers of lint or fuzz. You might also consider getting a holster..it will keep your weapon more secure and cleaner.

I think HK had a display a couple years ago at SHOT that had a P2000 with 25,000 empty brass casings with no cleanings and no failures. So yeah I don't clean as much as I should but it doesn't worry me a whole lot

I have an LCP that rarely gets shot, but spends a lot of time in my back pocket. Lint and fuzz love to stick in the barrel and on the hammer. Should I make it a habit to break the gun down and give it a full cleaning once a month or so, or will a quick exterior wipe off every now and then be suitable?

I carry my LCP the same way, it doesn't see much range time, so I usually will just blow the visible lint off once a month and then every 3 months I'll break it down and re-oil everything. But if it gets shot at any point, it gets broken down and cleaned.

Friday night is laundry night and after the clothes are folded, the carry gun gets cleaned. I unload it and then release the slide and lint and dust flies! Just a quick dusting and Q-tip the barrel, slight oil on the slide points.

If I haven't been shooting I'm a while I will do a field strip and blow out all the lint from my lcp every couple months or whenever im bored at home. My xd subcompact is
In a iwb so it doesn't see much lint. But I usually give it a wipe down every few months.

I don't worry too much about cleaning outside of shooting my carry gun. However, I do dry fire it quite a bit at home. More concerning to me is bullet setback from rechambering a round after every dry-fire practice session. I dry-fire about 3x per week. I try to alternate "first rounds", and I always shoot my carry ammo first at my next range session. It's probably not a likely problem, but better safe than sorry.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top