JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I reckon, after reloading since 1967, that it's a 50/50 thang. Sure it's a LOT cheaper than buying factory stuff, but on the other tentacle, you tend to shoot a LOT more of everything that you reload.

Here in yUK it's still a rich man's pastime, with a can of any Vihtavuori powder hitting almost $120...

tac
Dang, that'd hurt. I've never bought any of that brand and doubt if I ever will.
Just checked and an 8lb jug of Promo is $120. It's essentially Red Dot without the red dots. You can load everything from .25acp to .45-70 (reduced mid-range) with either.

Reloading can be an expensive way to save money. Main reasons to reload: quality and performance-tuned ammo. For example, I like soft-recoil 45 ACP and low SD max velocity 55gr 223. Reloading also makes sense for new and obsolete cartridges like 300BLK or 30 Remington. There's so much labor, rifle brass in particular, you quickly realize the "saving money" unicorn is really the "reloading bench" time vampire. Reload for fun or custom ammo, but you won't save money if you value your time.

There's so much labor, rifle brass in particular, you quickly realize the "saving money" unicorn is really the "reloading bench" time vampire. Reload for fun or custom ammo, but you won't save money if you value your time.

As written here several times, most of us consider it to be a HOBBY. Not much savings for shooting bulk plinking, if at all, but us old folks gotta have something to do. Personally, my body is so messed up that shooting/reloading is the only hobby I have left now that fuel prices and low income keep me away from my favorite fishing grounds at Brownlee.

Like another wrote, I have so many reloading components on hand that the ammo seems free. The exception is loading for my .223 Wylde, which I load for accuracy, and buy Sierra 55gr HPBT MatchKing bullets in boxes of 100 for about $25. The results are that I can shoot a dime-sized 5shot group at 100yds. (Its a varmint rifle, some of us like shooting chucks and yotes.) For plinking, I use my 10.5" faux SBR. And for IDPA practice I use reloads, but in competition I use factory... gotta have that reliability. For EDC and self-defense, I use only factory high performance ammo.

Not much savings for shooting bulk plinking, if at all, but us old folks gotta have something to do. Personally, my body is so messed up that shooting/reloading is the only hobby I have left now that fuel prices and low income keep me away from my favorite fishing grounds at Brownlee.

I supliment my income (fishing $$$) by selling & trading all kinds of stuff locally & if it is shipped the seller pays.....;););)

I handload because it gets me the best ammo I can find. And I know this because I've tested it. I worked up my handloads to be the best they can be in terms of precision, velocity, reliability and suitability for the task at hand.
And all my ammo, be it range fodder or hunting ammo is held to the same standard.
All this and more - Basically I got into reloading as an extension of my interest in shooting and to obtain the best quality ammo with the ability to create specialty ammo for specific purposes. Other than with maybe extremely larges amounts of pistol ammo for competition with a progressive the average shooter should never consider reloading as a 'money saving' venture as it will never really 'save' money - and if savings is the only consideration it might not be an enjoyable undertaking for the person as it should be and might become nothing more than a dreaded chore which it should NOT be.

Last Edited:
I enjoy reloading and is something I do in those rainy days , my reloads shoot way better than any bulk ammo , I can load mild or wild, and for calibers other than 9mm and 223 the savings is measurable, plus you can tailor a load to your rifle for those sub MOA groups, other examples one of my 308 loads tight groups with iron sights BUT kicks and reports like a 22mag without using a can
You can do some really cool stuff reloading and take your shooting to another level, think I just talked myself into a trip to my loading bench :s0069:

I like reloading, consider it a hobby, and am set up for 9mm, .38 special and .45 ACP. That said, I just ordered a case of 9mm and .45 ACP, close to as cheap as I can reload for. I've got the makings for a thousand rounds of each, but the powder's unopened and it will keep.

As for rifle, if I were shooting a .223 AR, I don't think I'd bother reloading - too much cheap ammo available and too much ammo likely fired on each trip to the range. But for my Remington .260 - no cheap ammo ($1.25 to $2.00 per round), and it's more than worth it to roll my own - customized to my rifle.

Well, I reload -

2 different .45-70 Govt - one for me and one for noobs to try.

2 different .308Win - 155gr Scenar for my Krico and 168gr for my K31-action match rifle.

1 load for 6.5x55 SE.

1 load for all of my Swiss schtuff.

2 different for 7x57 Mauser - one likes spitzers and the other, really doesn't.

2 different .357 Mag - frawks for anything up to 50m, and serious stuff for 200m.

I cast all my own bullets for .44cal and .58cal, using the remains of almost half a ton of church roof lead - legally acquired, I must add, when the church went over to the 'fake lead' roofing material after the pikies stole the lead for the third year running.

They'll be freakin' runnin' if WE catch 'em. B***ards.

tac

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads