How much?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by FA9, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Mikej

Mikej
    Portland
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

Savings schmavings! I don't want to hear how much it costs per round to roll my own vs buy! I'm a frugal OF. If I saved a buck a box on 9mm, that's a savings in my eyes. Besides, I'm not sure any more what I paid for those primers, powder, once fired brass, 6000 quality projectiles. As far as I'm concerned I din't pay anything for 'em. When I hold up that shiny, fresh round after seating and crimping that slug, I consider it FREE! Yeah. :s0115:

2. ron

ron
    Vancouver, Washington

For plinking the steel case ammo is OK. But don't leave a chambered round
    sitting in the hot barrel. After firing the empty case will stick in the chamber
    and require a cleaning rod to remove the stuck case from the chamber.:eek::eek::eek:
    Not ammo that I would want in my rifle for any self defense situation.
    77 SMKs in a fast twist barrel will produce sub MOA groups at 200-300 yards.:D:D
    Best prices on SMKs from fellow shooter OK Weber. I have been buying
    SMKs from Otto Weber Eugene, OR for +25 years. Order online
    and they appear on my porch in 2 days. Great service nice guy.
    77 SMKs $.24 per round plus shipping. Sometimes I will meet Otto at a match
    and get free shipping. :rolleyes: Sierra bullets - Rifle Bullets
    .22 cal. (.224) 77 grain HPBT, Buy #9377 Sierra Matchking bullets at Okweber

3. MrMillspecer

MrMillspecer
    Scappoose

You can at times clear them in the field with the mortar move. With two fingers on your charge handle, knock the stock butt of your AR on a firm surface, several times if needed. Many times they will come out. But your chambers still gunked up.

Never leave poly coated ammo in a hot chamber or your asking for trouble.

If your not running it hard it's a non issue. It's amazing what people that shoot discover. Good point Ron.

bbbass, ageingstudent and ron like this.
  4. tac

tac
    UK, Oregon and Ontario.
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

If I had to pay for factory ammunition, then I'd be limited to .22LR. True, BP ball costs very little, but having to shoot subs because my nearest BP dealership is 120 miles each way with gas at $8.50 a gallon is a bit of a PITA.

Dunno how much .45-70 Govt costs in the USA, seeing as I've never had to buy it, but it sure ain't cheap. Here in yUK it's around $170/C for lead bullets - all I shoot. As for 7x57, 6.5x55SE, 7.5x55SW and .308Win, prices here are roughly double what you pay. Lapua .308Win Match ammunition is hitting $325/C, BTW........

Note that here in yUK, ALL ammunition sales are FTF. Nothing else is legal. I have to buy primers and powder FTF, too.

tac

bbbass likes this.
  5. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5
    Western OR

Yup.
    I don't "reload" to save money. That's a buy-in-bulk concept I don't adhere to, but then again I don't have a need for quantity over quality.

Although considering what it would cost me to have custom ammo made that's ideal for my gun, I suppose you could say cost is a factor.
    But the ultimate goal isn't to "shoot cheaply."

I handload because it gets me the best ammo I can find. And I know this because I've tested it. I worked up my handloads to be the best they can be in terms of precision, velocity, reliability and suitability for the task at hand.
    And all my ammo, be it range fodder or hunting ammo is held to the same standard.

And like someone else pointed out,... It gives me something to do. It's fun. It keeps me thinking.
    And believe it or not, it helps me learn things I probably wouldn't otherwise know.

6. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim
    West of Oly
    Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

I agree totally, some (like me back in the day but no more) like to unwind at a bar.... My job as a telephone cable splicer required me to sit for hours and lay 25 pair of wires into a module, crimp, lay 25 more, crimp (rinse & repeat, some cables were 3,000 pair and as big as a manly mans forearm) so it took a while to get the job done. I sometimes miss it but I do enjoy sitting for hours making freedom bullets for all my rifles myself.;)

7. Mygrainman

Mygrainman
    SW WA

This ones for you @Caveman Jim ...what's wrong with this picture:p
    IMG_2251.JPG

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Caveman Jim likes this.
  8. ron

ron
    Vancouver, Washington

I have tried the method you describe and have ripped the case apart!:eek:
    Got it out with a cleaning rod. This was in a "trip to the woods".
    Me and a buddy split the cost of 1K steel case 223 ammo. And dumped it
    out of an old worn out barrel I was going to replace. I abused that
    old barrel terribly.:confused::confused: Then for curiosity just before I took it off
    I cleaned the barrel and with match ammo it shot 1 inch groups
    @ 100 yards. WTF! I think it will make a good tent stake. :p:p

9. ageingstudent

ageingstudent
    Fairview, OR
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Well it's not what I'd call cheap here at more than a buck fiddy a round. That's probably a good one to load to 'save money' ;P.

45-70 Government - 22388 - MidwayUSA

10. DizzyJ

DizzyJ
    Lost

This. Blasting ammo is one thing, but I would hesitate to compare reloading costs to cheap steel cased Russian Ammo that is both dirty and inaccurate.

I usually run the premium bullets such as Sierra match kings, Nosler custom comps, or Hornady v-max, etc.

Match the cost of buying those vs reloading them and you'll see a HUGE difference! As mentioned, close to a buck a round for match grade .223, whereas I can reload it for around 30 cents a piece.

bbbass, ron, MrMillspecer and 3 others like this.
  11. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim
    West of Oly
    Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

Those scotchlock pliers are SOOOO handy...
    As are a lot of hand tools including the hole punch for sheath bonding..... these Nines are over 50 years old & still kickin.... lol

1500358683434-828973244.jpg

ageingstudent and Mygrainman like this.
  12. Mygrainman

Mygrainman
    SW WA

I figured as a splicer you may have squeezed a pair once or twice. ;) I had to splice the occasional 6 pair, but only cuz I accidently plowed through, or bored into it (and a few larger ones:rolleyes:)with my Maxi-Sneaker.
    5138AA61-97E2-4780-A4AC-B021E65B9D25-3742-000005B9CD4E3007_tmp.jpg
    We contracted for Quest(US West at the time) and buried the lines from the street box to the house (S.N.I.)... I quite liked that job. My toner is other tool that I have left from that job that I find quite handy.

bbbass, Caveman Jim and ageingstudent like this.
  13. tac

tac
    UK, Oregon and Ontario.

That's the same price here, converted into pounds from dollars, just like everything 'mercan that we can buy here.

That's why I get all my clothes in USA or Canada, and it shows...

tac

Caveman Jim and ageingstudent like this.
  14. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf
    SE Portland

Some people like shooting little varmints in the head from a long ways away. You can't do that with your "steel case ammo".

15. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5
    Western OR

But does that matter when your primary reason for being there is to see how fast you can do mag dumps with a semi-auto?

Just sayin'

bbbass and Caveman Jim like this.
  16. Camelfilter

Camelfilter
    Salem
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Yup not really cost effective, now. But a very good skill to learn for the future. I'm just starting out reloading 9mm, hope to move into rifle later in the year, early next year. Once I'm confident in my process I may revisit cost vs benefit.

Rite now I see learning the skill a benefit.

bbbass and SKrueger like this.
  17. SKrueger

SKrueger
    SW Washington
    Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

I have thought about the same thing. Cost versus doesn't really pay but now might be a good time to start reloading since prices are down. I am going to start saving all the brass for future. The one I really want to learn how to load is .308 :)

Caveman Jim and bbbass like this.
  18. UserNameInUse

UserNameInUse
    SW WA

Including the cost of tools and comparing it to steel cased is like comparing the cost of your boat, fishing gear, and all the other expenses to the cost of frozen fish at the supermarket.

Caveman Jim and bbbass like this.
  19. bbbass

bbbass
    La Grande

My first full-time job was a CO installer with the Western Electric portion of AT&T. Strip out trunking cables and wire wrap the pairs down. Blue, orange, green, brown, slate... did it day after day after day. I'll never forget how mind numbing it was. Left that job and joined the Coast Guard... a very different and varied experience compared to installer. But yes, to me the pulling of the handle is very similar. I wonder if slot machines are the same feeling... never got into that myself as money is too hard to come by. With reloading you get to pull the handle, and then go out and pull the trigger. :D

Caveman Jim and SKrueger like this.
  20. tac

tac
    UK, Oregon and Ontario.

I reckon, after reloading since 1967, that it's a 50/50 thang. Sure it's a LOT cheaper than buying factory stuff, but on the other tentacle, you tend to shoot a LOT more of everything that you reload.

Here in yUK it's still a rich man's pastime, with a can of any Vihtavuori powder hitting almost $120...

tac