JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When your stockpile becomes inventory.... You almost have enough.

When you're ever so slightly concerned that 'inventory' may not be 100% compliant with local storage ordinances.

Edit: Phew! The 1lb of Red Dot & 186 primers I have are totally copacetic! I just love being compliant!

;)

Last Edited:
When I started reloading powder and primers were like milk and eggs, when I ran out I just went down to the store and bought more. As I got more guns and shot more the quantities got larger. Now with today's uncertainties, I feel the need to have more on hand than just "ready service". Now I need "stash", how much that is, is still uncertain, do I need a years worth, 4 years worth, 8 years worth or a lifetimes worth?

Just doing some rough calculations if a person shoots 350 rounds a week of random pistols you'd go through about 20,000 primers and 25 lbs of powder a year.

It that average? Not sure. I know that I go usually a couple of weeks, then I go shooting. Whether a match or just plinking I'm good to shoot a couple hundred rounds. If the kids are with me say four to five hundred assorted calibers. Rifle and pistol.
Good Shooting

Average, maybe not, so I just guessed if I could shoot as much as I wanted to what that might look like. I've got 10 handguns, so if I shoot 70% of them once a week, 50 rounds at a time........I don't know but between teaching, shooting with friends, Matches, and practice it seems a reasonable WAG.

Having lived in Hawaii and knowing what affect a dock strike can have.....well, I do keep a generous reserve on most everything. Yes, I realize that I now live on the "mainland" though old habits die hard. Just think of me as a sort of "Prepper."

So....along those lines. Stock up on whatever you think you'll need and add to that a stockpile to barter with. Now a days, 22LR just pops to mind. I wonder why?

Speaking of ammo and re-loading. Hint: Don't let on to how much you have. Most importantly....powder and primers. I'd venture to guess, that in most cases the fire department does not take kindly to your "fire hazard." Check your local code. Or just do an internet search of the national fire code. You'll be surprised/shocked.

Aloha, Mark

Average, maybe not, so I just guessed if I could shoot as much as I wanted to what that might look like. I've got 10 handguns, so if I shoot 70% of them once a week, 50 rounds at a time........I don't know but between teaching, shooting with friends, Matches, and practice it seems a reasonable WAG.

OH. It's a good WAG. I'm sure if I shot as much as I wanted to I wouldn't be married much longer LOL

I bought 1000 rounds of 10mm so I have a supply of brass too.
Otherwise I buy components . LGS owner asked me if I was gunna do some 223 cause I bought 2 CFEs and 400 bullits.
Nope just want them at home.
Buy whatever you can afford. I do believe components will be the first thing they try to take from us
:( Before I moved I had so much
But I'm not in Washington anymore:s0155:

Kinda also depends on the guns you are reloading for. Levers, bolts, single shots & revolvers use it up a bit slower than high cap semi's so I have factored that into mu own 'stockpile' equations.

Let's put it this way.... with my stockpile, my family knows if there is ever a fire in or near my reloading bench to run to the car and drive as fast as they can away from the area.... this is for two reasons... 1st, the resulting explosion will likely wipe out everything in a 150 yard area.... second, you don't want to be near ground zero when the Russians retaliate against what they perceive as an ICBM launch from satellite images:rolleyes:

Our County code is congruent to the national recommendation, which is 25 pounds of powder per dwelling. More than that requires special vented lockers and such things.

I know one reloader who keeps a stash at his house, and two more stashes at the in-laws places.

Last week, I did a non-comprehensive inventory of primers and powder and was shocked to learn that I have 44# of powder. I felt a little relieved, then proceeded to load using 2 lbs of it.

Went to reload this weekend, couldn't find the canister of AA4350 I was looking for and noted that my powders were all in disorder. Organized them, thought I had a lot, so tared out a tub and weighed them all together: 75#, including all the plastic containers. And here I was just thinking about going to buy some more powder.... :D

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top