JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm a newer reloader. As I accumulate (not hoard) powder, primers, and bullets (I seem to have plenty of brass), I find myself wondering how much I should have in my reserve as a general goal.

I primarily reload 9mm. And so I have set a completely subjective number of having enough components to reload 10,000 rounds at all times. Obviously that means 10,000 primers & bullets and approximately 10lbs of powder. Is this too much in your opinion? Too little?

What are your target number of primers, bullets, and powder you try to keep in stock? Or is it endless for you? I'll be curious to hear your answers. Thanks in advance.

Just depends on what you feel like you need.

The family and I shoot about 5000 rounds a year in various calibers. I like to keep a 3-5 year supply.

Funny you put this up I just did an inventory last week. I have enough powder to make over 30000 rounds:p.

No I don't think you are keeping too much. We can't count on components being available regularly anymore so it's necessary to keep more on hand if you want to shoot when you want to shoot.

What you have now is just a drop in the bucket. ..... if you were to start play the games .

By that I ment shooting Speed steel, IPSC, and all the drilling that it takes.

I really can't afford to buy makins for several thousand rounds at one time. I have to spread my costs out over several months. I buy 1000 here, 1000 there. I don't keep a lot on hand. Maybe 1000 of each of the four cartridges I load.

I keep a 50 cal ammo can full of the pet load for each caliber and enough components to refill them twice more........ and then there's the rest of the ammo all the tried a lb of this or 500 of these different bullets or don't have that caliber anymore, you know trade/barter stuff.

I currently reload for several handgun calibers and one rifle so I do try to keep a good supply of components. I have about 35 pounds of powder, 25,000 primers and 20,000 bullets. I do not even know how many thousands of cases I have but there is a lot. I do not think you can ever have too much, especially since, if stored correctly, these items do not go bad.

My philosophy is that you should get what you can, when you can. If you have it and don't use it right away is OK. But if you need it, and cant find it, it becomes an issue.

With Hillary on the horizon, I'm making sure I don't get Obama'd again. I'm always on the lookout for pistol powder, primers, and .22 ammo. I agree with B5Ben...if you store it correctly it will be safe and potent for years to come.....unlike myself. o_O

What ever you think is enough for your general needs/usage, add 4 times that amount for the Just in case situation! like posted above, it may get a hell of a lot harder to get down the road! I currently load 12 diffrent cal, and with in that 7 have several loads, that's a lot of stuff to keep up on! I prolly have 60 pounds of powder alone!

I met a guy a couple years ago who told me after Reagn got shot he made sure to always have a 2 years supply. After SH everything was dry...but if you kept your eye out when things came in stock, you could buy powder for 20$ per lb and primers for under $30. But stock was gone quick so you had to be prepared to act and buy in bulk.

I have slowly built up my stocks in the last couple years in reaction to the shortages we have experienced. Man I can remember when I never had more than a few lbs of powder, a few hundred bullets and maybe a couple bricks of primers but that was when the shelves were full and we NEVER even had to think about 'stocking up' - It's sad it has come down to this but reality being what it is we have to do what we need to.

I don't think there is an amount that I would consider "too much". I like to have an 8lb keg of my main powder just in reserve, couple 4-5 thousand primers and the same in brass all in reserve. I used to never think this way like RVTECH mentioned. If I needed more power I would just go buy a pound or two. But now with things the way they are, every time I see a deal on powder or primers I buy a pound or two or a brick of primers just to put on the shelf.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top