JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can't help but think that people are pushing truth about sub moa 600 yard shots, and such. I'm willing to accept that I'm not a very good shot - I still get excited when I place a 22lr into a 1 inch circle at 100 yards from steady rest. So, how much of this 'amazing' shooting to you believe when someone says, or types, that they done it?

I keep reading this. You can put a 22lr into MOA group at 100 yards. I believe you, but that's a dandy 22 and dandy shooting. :s0155: Is that with a scope, I presume?

I call that being a really good shooter, despite your modesty. :)

I'd far rather try that with my .270. Imho it would be easier. And remember, we're not (repeating myself) talking about hitting the bullseye. We're talking about a tight group. We're not talking about how accurately the rifle is sighted in - only the consistency of where it hits. You can always start adjusting your sights or scope if you need to.

If I were going to try to prove something at 600 yards, I'd take the time to zero my rifle at that distance but then that's a silly adjustment for hunting or defense.

I now have what's called monovision - my dominant is 20/20 and my other eye is 20/50, on purpose. That allows me to see close up and at distance. Since vision is additive, my brain adjusts and doesn't "know" that one eye or the other is always slightly blurry. I don't need reading or distance glasses as a result and never will. :s0155:

I've got a similar situation. I'm legally blind in my right eye, can't even read the third line on the eye chart, but my left eye is 20/15. Somehow the brain compensates and things look normal.
However I shoot righty, just with extra high scope rings. As you can imagine, I look fairly foolish with my head cocked so far over, or when I draw and aim a pistol right handed, but oriented with my left eye.;)

I've got a similar situation. I'm legally blind in my right eye, can't even read the third line on the eye chart, but my left eye is 20/15. Somehow the brain compensates and things look normal.
However I shoot righty, just with extra high scope rings. As you can imagine, I look fairly foolish with my head cocked so far over, or when I draw and aim a pistol right handed, but oriented with my left eye.;)

That's sad. Is it something that can be fixed with some type of surgery, like lasik or cornea replacement
or ???

I'll show you my targets!

Most of them aren't too much to brag about, but on my birthday in 2000, I shot a three shot group @ 100yards out of my 30-06 that is a perfect three shot triangle. The center to center spread is something like 5/16th of an inch. I still have the target.

I've never, ever been able to do that again. When I shoot off of a decent rest I'm tickled when something comes in at under an inch. Usually they are a little larger. I know that my rifles and handguns are much more accurate than I am!
I'm very happy when I can live up to my end of the bargain.

I've only once shot at an actual target at any distance over 100 yards and was pleased to shoot 2" group. Good enough to kill whatever I'm hunting! Shot handguns at 100+ yards. That's shooting at dirt clods and rocks at dirt wall. Shot a 45-70 at a 300 yards plus under the same conditions. To hit a basket ball sized object at that distance is pretty satisfying, too.

No reason to lie.

Heck... I shot my 1897 Marlln 22 at the 100 yard line and got all 10 shots in a circle the size of a ten cent piece.

:s0114::s0114:

Good example! I spent most of last weekend target shooting our 22 rifles (marlin 795 amazingly good for cheap, and a savage mark 2) at 100 yards at my gun club. My perfect center shots were about 1 in ten from steady rest bench on sandbags with lots of time to frame the shots. There wasn't much wind and I had to use mini mags for consistency. If I ever shoot a ten set as described above I'll put myself inline to be the pope.

I believe the term "tack-driver" is overused and more often than not, a lie. Those who are lying about 1 inch groupings are probably lying about other inches as well.

"Sure my unit is 6 inches.... from the ground" :D

i can hit a orange clay at 100 easy-at 200/2 out of three-at 400 /1 for 6-at 600/ it looks like someone used a backhoe around my target,but i have hit a milk jug at 600/1 for about 8--my brother inlaw who's been shooting a long time now-- says--its good enough for the guys i hunt with--
steven

I don't lie about it, it hurts the next guy who buys that rifle into thinking he can get some ridiculous accuracy out of it when he just cannot.

My best group was 5 rounds in 1/4 inch at 100 yards in my accuracy international AWP 308 using federal GM cases, fed LR match primer, varget and berger bullets I think 172 gr moly. All cases were neck sized on pre fired cases. bullets were loaded to just touching the lands. also that was when I was shooting twice a week.

now, the safest place to stand when I shoot is in front of the target.

1 MOA is not a hard thing to do at any range if the wind isnt ghusting. If you can afford good optics and a cheapo savage rifle you can shoot even better than moa at any range the bullet will reach. All you have to do is set the trigger pull to somewhere around 2 pounds and set her down on a good solid rest and walla, sub moa! The more money you spend the tighter the groups will be.

My best ever was a 10-shot 2.5" group at 200yds with my AR-15 and some nice hornandy 75gr stuff. Iron sights, prone with sandbags. Yeah I was pretty pleased with myself that day, usually I don't do that well at all especially at 200yds when I can barely see the target with my terrible eyes.

With the 55gr AE xm193 or remington cheap stuff I usually buy I do okay, if I'm prone with sandbags I can definitely put all 30 rounds in the 3" ring at 100yds though. Those who saw me at the last PR match at tricounty can affirm that I am pretty accurate... just not very fast yet, heheh. :D Especially on that one stage with all those steel targets. Took me awhile to find them, they all blended with the rocks. :huh:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top