JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I can't help but think that people are pushing truth about sub moa 600 yard shots, and such. I'm willing to accept that I'm not a very good shot - I still get excited when I place a 22lr into a 1 inch circle at 100 yards from steady rest. So, how much of this 'amazing' shooting to you believe when someone says, or types, that they done it?

I can't help but think that people are pushing truth about sub moa 600 yard shots, and such. I'm willing to accept that I'm not a very good shot - I still get excited when I place a 22lr into a 1 inch circle at 100 yards from steady rest. So, how much of this 'amazing' shooting to you believe when someone says, or types, that they done it?

Sub MOA at 600 yards is good, but it's still under 6.3"

With one rifle and ammo combination I was regularly shooting about 0.75MOA at 300 yards if I was paying attention to what I was doing.

I don't lie. In the interests of honesty, here's one of my targets from Sunday.
200yards, Josephine County Sportsmans Park
16" 1:9, Olympic Arms
55gr Wolf .223

Last Edited:
Why lie about it?
Either you can or you can't, you did or you didn't, you could or you would.
Me? I can't, I don't, I haven't and I probably won't ;)
Can't= hit the broad side of a barn (at 600 yds)
I don't = Imagine that will change
I haven't = even imagined it could
I won't = lie about it (just watch my shooting and you'll see how obvious that is :)

Now at 100 yds and less?........ that's a different story........
Not much different.... but the barn appears bigger! :)

What's the big deal? If it's windy you'll lose it (MOA) at 600 yards. If your gun/cartridge doesn't have the ballistics, it might shoot MOA at 100 yds and then "loose steam" before 600.

In no-wind conditions, MOA at 100 yards is the same as MOA at 600 yards. At 600 yards it's just six times as big of an area.

We're not talking about hitting bullseye. We're talking about groups. I aim at something above the target. Anything stationary that's repeatable and that's about the height of drop I need. In sandbags and comfortable, the bullets will drop to the same place every time, within the ability of the rifle to group.

My Ruger M77 .270 Win will shoot 3/4 MOA at 100 yds all day long unless a stray shot is my fault. In ideal weather conditions it will stay within 6" at 600 yards if I can spot a good, contrasty, small fixed item above the target to aim at.

I agree that most rifles won't do that. For hunting, they don't need to.

Yeah, actually. I have a pretty gnarly astigmatism in my right eye, and even with correction its nowhere near ideal.

Have you looked into lasik surgery? It corrected all of my astigmatism. They open a flap and completely reshape that eye. :s0155:

I now have what's called monovision - my dominant is 20/20 and my other eye is 20/50, on purpose. That allows me to see close up and at distance. Since vision is additive, my brain adjusts and doesn't "know" that one eye or the other is always slightly blurry. I don't need reading or distance glasses as a result and never will. :s0155:

Lying about your groups is like lying about how many strokes you counted at a golf course. The only person it hurts is the shooter or golfer. How you gona improve if you lie about your own performance.

Why lie about it? It is going to come out sooner or later. It is better to have people be surprised by how accurate you are, then disappointed at how inaccurate you are. I can admit I am good shooter. However I practice twice as much as anyone else I shoot with regularly. With shooting, practice really does make (near) perfect. Not just practicing at the range either, but practicing trigger control at home makes a huge difference.

Not that I am shooting sub moa @ 600 yards, but that is not unreasonable to think people are doing that. With the right bolt action rifle and the kind of ammunition it likes to eat, it can definitely be done. At that range, it also really matters what kind of glass you're looking through.

I have heard all kinds of stories about how someone shot a buck at 400 yards on the run at dusk right through the heart.

Its like fishing. The fewer people that were there, the bigger the fish you caught gets. If it got away, the sizes doubles! :s0114:

Yeah, hunting reality is a whole different deal including the added tiredness and adrenaline than is comfortable bench shooting in sandbags. :s0155:

I have seen deer and coyotes dropped at 300 yards in offhand and unexpected shootings though. I have a friend who I believe can consistently do that.

I did kill a running flat-out deer at 100 yards once. I led him too far and hit him in the neck. I meant to hit his heart/lung zone. Does that count? :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top