JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The "how much ammo" question does appear at times and no one can really give a definitive answer. In my humble opinion, the 250-rounds of 00-buck the OP has is enough for most emergencies and disasters, but, naturally, not all of them. Is doubling that amount going to make one more prepared? I suppose so. Could the funds be used elsewhere? Only the person making the call can really say, but I'd wager there is something needing covered.

For example: years ago, when we dramatically increased our preparation activity, we bought a bunch of 12 and 20-gauge ammo, most of it 00-buck and #3B, respectively. Back then it was pretty darn cheap, at least compared to now. However, in hindsight, I wish we hadn't, because neither adult shoots shotguns hardly any more. (And small varmints are dispatched with a wheelgun loaded with CCI.) Having the ammo on hand isn't a bad thing, but the cost/space used to could be placed elsewhere.

Anywho, just some random thoughts. Good luck with your preps. :s0155:

I keep my 870 stoked with #4 buck near the nightstand. Next to it is a slingbag with an additional 250 rounds plus 25 rifled slugs.
I feel I'm way more than adequately stocked up. For that particular firearm.

250 rounds in a shotgun take time to burn through because shotguns are not fast loaders. in a fight, you are spending more time refilling that mag tube then you are shooting; and if you are short of both cover and concealment, it can get terminal real fast.

Lots of great comments. Sorry I am not going to respond to all of them individually.

I do have other long arms so there is no need to save up for one.

As for prepping, 250rds is and is not a lot. If you were to shoot an average of 5rds/week that is just under 1 year of shooting.

Another part about having adequate stocks is getting though the lean times. I am still shooting .308 at $0.20/rd. You know the era of $100+ bricks of .22, it was not a factor for me, I will be shooting $10/brick ammo for a long time.

Yes, shotgun can be slower to reload but my M1 Super 90 holds 9 rounds. My Tromix has 10rd and 20rd magazines. You can run though a lot of ammo with those. I have plenty of bird/field loads on hand. I probably do need some more slugs also.

Oh and look up cut shells and wax slugs - you can do a lot with bird shot in a SHTF sitch.
Please for the love of all that is holy stop perpetuating this cut shell bubblegum. The terminal ballistics of cut shells are absolute rubbish, coming up WAY short of self-defense penetration standards. And wax slugs aren't much better.

To the OP -- test your ammo with your shotgun and pattern that specific combination. You say you have multiple shotguns -- do you know how your buckshot patterns out of each of those barrels? Does your ammo cycle reliably in each gun? I have Hornady Versatite (reasonable quality ammo) which deforms and obdurates in my 870 to the point where I've ripped the rim with the extractor. That same ammo runs just fine in my M1014. If you don't know the answers to those questions, I'd suggest testing a bunch of stuff through your guns, taking some notes, and only then stocking up on something you are confident will work for your particular applications.

Please for the love of all that is holy stop perpetuating this cut shell bubblegum. The terminal ballistics of cut shells are absolute rubbish, coming up WAY short of self-defense penetration standards. And wax slugs aren't much better.

To the OP -- test your ammo with your shotgun and pattern that specific combination. You say you have multiple shotguns -- do you know how your buckshot patterns out of each of those barrels? Does your ammo cycle reliably in each gun? I have Hornady Versatite (reasonable quality ammo) which deforms and obdurates in my 870 to the point where I've ripped the rim with the extractor. That same ammo runs just fine in my M1014. If you don't know the answers to those questions, I'd suggest testing a bunch of stuff through your guns, taking some notes, and only then stocking up on something you are confident will work for your particular applications.
Well, that's like just your opinion man… (said with the Dudes voice) lol.

While I agree that cut shells and wax are not better then factory defensive or hunting loads, they are a viable alternative when you run out of your 1000 rounds of buckshot. Especially at short distances.

It's a heck of a lot better then bird shot if you want to put a hole in something.

I would never use them in times of order and you can always buy bird shot at a much lower cost then 00 buck or slugs. I bought a crop ton of bird for $5 a box and stacked it deep for 2 reasons - I have a ton of multiple aught buck of various sizes and I will either have an excessive amount of cut shells if I run out or I'm a big fan of shooting clays so either way it will get used.

But you do you and if you can afford hundreds and hundreds of rounds of quality ammo you may never touch then kudos and to each their own.

realistically, if the 12ga isnt your primary defense tool, 500rds (that's 2 cases of 250, that doesnt take up all that much shelf space)

I personally love shooting buckshot and slugs thru my RIA VR-80 (I also have a Mossberg 500 persuader, as well as a couple Chinese Saiga clones)
so I try to keep my stocks above 5K rounds total: 2K birdshot, and 1K each of Slugs/Buck as well as other random stuff (turkey loads, steel shot, ect...)

I added some rubber buckshot thinking I might need some non lethal motivation loads.
these guys have some interesting options for "Less Lethal" ammo https://www.phoenixrising.store

here's some Rock Salt and Pepper https://www.phoenixrising.store/12-gauge-2-34-rock-salt-and-pepper-ammunition.html

here's some PEPPER BLAST ammo https://www.phoenixrising.store/pepper-blast-shotgun-ammunition-12-gauge-2-34.html

Ya I like the choice of non lethal loads, no sense blood and bodies if you don't have to. Rubber buck first shot up in the 870 gives me an option.

I looked at my supplies the other day. I have 150rds of slugs, and lots of bird shot.

I will probably pick up another 250rds of 00 buck to have on hand before the end of the year.

I am been picking up some other goodies that have more priority.

I added some rubber buckshot thinking I might need some non lethal motivation loads.
What if they are allergic to latex do you want to get sued ?

I like to waterfowl and turkey hunt. You can call in a lot of birds and I go through a box a day for ducks and maybe half or for goose, depending on thick they are. Turkey is hopefully a one shot deal, but I had one hunt where I took three shots with feathers flying each shot, and the turkey still did not go down. I suspect I would be more judicious in a SHTF situation, but if I'm trying to put food up for winter, I would want more than 250 rounds, so I agree with your wanting more. Twice that does sound right. I'll pass on hunting game animals with slugs, though it's down a lot back east I'm told. Stott Mtn near Lincoln City allows shotgun for elk at certain times, too I recall. Rifle seems a better overall choice though for hunting game.

Got some buckshot and some slugs. After some consideration, bought some waterfowl loads, max loads with #4 shot. My reasoning is, at close range the massive trauma and damage of so many pellets at high velocity would not be treatable. You can't stitch together hamburger.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top